Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

People Noticing Wt Loss

I just saw my family (don't know I had wt loss surgery) I have lost 25lb. and no one said anything. I'm 5'6" and now 227. How much wt before its really noticeable? What's your experience?

I understand how you feel. I too had wls and no one had seemed to notice. I am now down 90 pounds and down 4-5 sizes and people are just now noticing and complementing me! So it does take a while but you will get there!

ppl will notice u once u r below 200 lbs.i am same height as u .in 8 months i hv lost 100 lbs.ppl r now actually falling off their chairs looking at me.i was 280 lbs on 14/2/2012

People sometimes don't know what to say or are scared of saying anything. My family has always been the first to notice the moment I gained even a pound. They could even point out where that pound was! So far I am down 26 pounds and not a lot of people are noticing. But I ran into a co worker at the store the other day and she said to me "have u been losing weigh"? I told her yes and her answer was "I noticed the other day at work when u came into the staff room but I didn't want to say anything because I didn't want to put u on the spot". People will notice. Some may say something, others may not know what to say. some may deliberately not say anything because they dont want u to take it the wrong way and sabotage urself (ie think that ur losing too much and start gaining). I was 280 and even when I lost 10lbs on the pre op people could notice.

People do notice but r afraid to ask. I went down 2sizes n when I finally wore medium scrubs, most of the staff started commenting "it's about time u wear clothes that fit. Ur other uniforms were falling off u" so, they had noticed but didn't say anything. Me, I'm very blunt. I ll tell u the truth n say "ur losing weight, u look good.. Keep it up!"

But it does feel good when they acknowledge it! I know exactly how u feel. Even my close friend who had gastric bypass doesn't acknowledge it. I finally said ,"Cecilia, look at my pic on my iPad( which was a year old)..do I look the same? She said, mmmm u look a lil thinner around ur chin"

I couldn't believe it! But maybe, jealousy has a lot to do with it.at least that's what my fiancé says.

But, I will tell u.. Good job, I know it was hard. Keep it up!

It takes awhile for others to start commenting. For me, it was at about 70 pounds lost when acquaintances started really noticing the change. Friends and family started noticing much sooner, maybe around 30 pounds lost. I think that was because I lost weight in my face first.

I agree that some people just don't want to say anything because generally weight-related comments can be like skating on thin ice. If someone says my gosh you've lost weight, and you look great does that mean that you were fat and ugly before? I noticed that when my hubby and I were both loosing (he is sleeved too about 5 months after me) that comments about his loss were flying all around even though I lost MORE than he did. B) Seems like it's okay to talk to a MAN about his weight loss but most people are hesitant to bring it up to women. Just my experience.

Oh yeah and I got a lot of "I see it in your face" type comments when I was down about 25-30lbs. On one other thing...people love to say that you lose a size with every -10lbs. That for me wasn't true until I got below 200lbs.

My friend and I work in the same office. I and her boss were introduced last year and though we dont move in the same circles (he is a VP), we do chat with each other when we meet in the cafeteria and such. Today, my friend stopped by my desk and told me that he spoke to her about my weight loss. She said that he was very impressed and wanted to congratulate me but was worried if it was okay for him to talk to me about that. He had asked her opinion about whether I would be okay receiving that compliment. I told her I LOVED hearing any and every compliment that came my way LOL

So yeah, many notice the weight loss but are reluctant to comment on it fearing that it would be taken in a wrong sense - especially with women, for some reason.

The last time I was on a diet, i lost 14 pounds. The sad part is that even though that's what the scale said, not only didn't anyone notice bit I didn't even notice. I lost ally motivation and the weight returned in a mere 2 weeks. It's unfortunate but honestly, if I don't see it working for me, I lose hope fairly easily. I pray that with the sleeve, I can't quit on myself.

. I pray that with the sleeve' date=' I can't quit on myself.[/quote']

That's my biggest problem, too. I've been so many sizes...and...I can do me some DIETING!! haha I could tell you how to lose 15# in a week, but only if you wanna pack it back on almost as quickly. Lol I'm hoping against all hope that the sleeve will be my consistency, which is what I've been missing/struggling with most.

weight.png 347*294/285/135 (*347HW/294SSW)

Seems like it's okay to talk to a MAN about his weight loss but most people are hesitant to bring it up to women. Just my experience.

I think it's because a lot of us women work with other women and women can be so jealous and competitive over everything. I think men are better at saying "what are you doing? You look more in shape?"

Maybe I'm wrong but just my opinion

I too have been many sizes, up and down. Four years ago I lost 100 on weight watchers but then gained it back. . Two years ago I lost 100 pounds on Medifast but gained it back. Now, so far I have lost 33 pounds on my second month of a 3 month presurgery diet and so far no one has said anything. I am sure they are thinking, "been there, done that"