Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is Anyone Afraid Of Losing Too Much Weight?

No. If you look at the data, very very very few people lose too much weight. I suspect that is generally associated with bad complications like strictures etc.

I was worried about not losing enough, but I am very pleased with where I am at - even though I want to lose more.

What am I scared of? Maintenance - but, one day at a time.

I agree with u.... I've learned from this site and other GS sites that only few people break their goal weight and lose beyond it... and also not everybody reaches their goal weight easily.... so I wouldn't be unhappy at all if lost too much weight... it's always welcome... I also don't care about the fact of having loose skin.... I was on the verge of dying from obesity when I had this surgery, so all I care is being able to move without pain and look good!!

I wish, I hope that would be my problem, I am good at always having too much weight but hey I can only dream of a size 4 or 5. I dont want to be supper small but would love to know what it is to have enough space in my jeans.

Yes I am afraid of losing too much weight thanks 225 pounds and everyone that sees me sayI do not look like I weigh that much

post-16848-1381366108926_thumb.png

There is a rare disorder that happens to people who have WLS where their body does not self regulate and they eventually lose too much weight and die. It's incredibly rare and incurable. I read about it when I was thinking of having the surgery. Do I worry I have this? Even the queen of rare complications thinks she's probably ok :)

There are healthy ways to increase weight. My son has a feeding disorder and we've had to supplement his calories since birth. It's not hard to do. So I have no fear of that issue.

I'm five foot tall exactly and expect I'll hit 110 and level off as I was at that weight for ten years, ten years ago. I have been smaller, down to 95 as an adult, which is still a healthy weight for someone of my height, but I found it hard to maintain, hence wanting the higher, and yet still healthy weight goal.

I do see a lot of people who have set goals exceed those, which might make people think that losing too much weight is possible and even easy, but the one thing I think most of those folks have in common is that they have been heavy all of their life. To those folks, setting a goal is somewhat subjective on their inability to picture themselves at a number they think is just impossible...and that they consider "unhealthy" because they've never been healthy. 140 for instance for a woman of my height, is too heavy. No one is that "big boned" but I get why someone might shoot for that...because in their eyes, they are "thin". My hope for these folks is that after living at their new goal they then realize that they could be healthier within a normal BMI for height ratio. My sister is the same height as me, but unlike me, she's struggled with her weight for her entire life. She has been as high as 350 and currently is at around 200. She feels great, yet I know she would be surprised how much better she'd feel at 120 or less :) Even 20lbs lower and she'd find her knees would bother her less...but she can't imagine it. She thinks my weight goal is going to be skeletal...yet I've been that weight and she didn't think I was too thin then :) Growing up with her mind set agains mine...it gave me some perspective as to where people come from when setting goals :)

I've never been a huge eater, I just ate the wrong stuff (loved sugar and carbs) so for me, volume increase won't be my foe....desire will LOL I plan on living my life as I did ten years ago, which means I ate in general what I wanted, but didn't eat a lot of candy and white carbs. I also used to weigh myself daily and if I gained 3lbs I paid attention to what I was putting in my mouth until those were gone. Not a huge sacrifice, and not a yoyo diet, but just having a salad verses a sandwich and skipping desert if I'm eating out. And for me...cutting down my wine consumption :P

Yeah, I think this is much ado about nothing. Not likely to happen to anyone here. If it does, by the time you get there your ability to eat will have increased. Also, changing what you eat will help. There are healthy calorie dense foods that you could easily add into your diet to stop losing weight.

Plus, how much weight is too much? Do some people want to hang on to some of their fat because they don't want to look too saggy? I'd rather be healthy.

Isajck, what is post weight loss lollypop look? I have a fear of losing too much weight also. I was 220# 5' 6", when my DR suggested this surgery. My husband and I were both dumbfounded that he suggested I do this. I knew I was overweight, but not obese in my mind. My BMI was border line 35. But post-op 5 weeks I was taken off my blood pressure medicine. Now my concern is losing my eyesight because the Vitamins are nasty. My brother's friend went through this but he gained his sight back. So to date, in 8 weeks, I've lost 37 pounds in 8 weeks.....I just think it's coming off way to easily. My DR says I'm right on track. At what point does one stop losing weight? I know I'm crazy and in 5 months I'll be complaining but my mind does wonder.....

I've had more than a few friends that have had weight-loss surgery--some have been successful, some have not. I'm more worried about not losing weight or not losing enough weight. Or losing the weight, then losing my mind and gaining weight back. I have two friends in mind that are still struggling with weight issues post weight-loss surgery.

I have had mixed emotions through out my wt. loss because of my starting wt. I started out at 230lbs. and was afraid of losing to much wt. Along the way I have had stall after, after stall, after stall, and thought I would never lose. Now I am fluctuating between 165 to 170 and people say "Don't loose another pound!!!" People worry about my wt. more than I do. I am constantly asked how much more are you going to lose? I want to to say What's it to you? My goal is 150lbs.to 160lbs. So I understand where you are coming from totally.

I have had mixed emotions through out my wt. loss because of my starting wt. I started out at 230lbs. and was afraid of losing to much wt. Along the way I have had stall after, after stall, after stall, and thought I would never lose. Now I am fluctuating between 165 to 170 and people say "Don't loose another pound!!!" People worry about my wt. more than I do. I am constantly asked how much more are you going to lose? I want to to say What's it to you? My goal is 150lbs.to 160lbs. So I understand where you are coming from totally.

beba238, I totally understand your worry. For those of us who have struggled with eating disorders in the past, finding "normal" can be a challenge. When I started this process, I spoke with the nutritionist and psychologist about this fear..."how do I know when I'm there?" Most of my normal/under- weight times have been due to unhealthy habits or frantic workouts, etc...For someone who has battled the scale since childhood, How do we know when we reach "OK"? Both of the professionals I spoke with assured me that my body will auto-regulate, and because weight loss is gradual, it gives us time to adjust to each new stage...we will know when we see it, when we feel it.

Hang in there! It is a new world for all of us...