Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight After Pregnancy

Hi, I am still going through insurance approval, and have mostly decided on the sleeve.

Has anyone who has been pregnant after getting the sleeve done had trouble losing the baby weight after the baby was born? How much weight did you gain during pregnancy? I am perfectly fine with the pregnancy weight gain but don't want to end up back where I am now.

Thanks!

Caroline

I want too know too

I want too know too

Well I'm 25 weeks pregnant now and I was 207 when I found out I was pregnant and I ended up losing in the beginning, I got down to 192 lbs before I started gaining weight. Now I'm at 198ish... Hoping to break even by the time I deliver and hopefully gain no more than 9 more lbs.

Well I'm 25 weeks pregnant now and I was 207 when I found out I was pregnant and I ended up losing in the beginning, I got down to 192 lbs before I started gaining weight. Now I'm at 198ish... Hoping to break even by the time I deliver and hopefully gain no more than 9 more lbs.

So how had your pregnancy been with the restricted food intake?

Are you hungry more/less? Did your OBGYN say anything you have to do special because you had the sleeve?

And do they consider you high risk for having had weight loss surgery (although I will be 35 by the time I can get pregnant so I guess I will be high risk anyways)? Did your OB/GYN have any concerns about your having had the sleeve and then going through pregnancy? (I will change doctors if I have to but I am just wondering if I will get any strange reactions)

I am 3 mos post op and just found out that I am pregnant. EVEN THOUGH I HAD THE PARAGUARD IUD!! I am scared to death! :'(

I am 2 months post op with a paraguard...I heard it can move with rapid weight loss...this totally scares me!

Good luck to both of you!

Very few women come back afterward - a lot of us that choose to get pregnant are farther out, anyway, and once the baby comes there's even less time (or really, reason) be back here.

I have seen only a handful of regain posts (never once an entire regain, ever, though) and of the women that have posted, a handful did have a pregnancy post sleeve. Just as many did not, however.

I have gained more with my pregnancy than I had wanted to gain, but I also used ART to get pregnant and spent months on hormone shots and suppositories. But I have absolutely no real fear that I won't lose the weight again after this pregnancy is done.

While my appetite and capacity are definitely larger than prior to pregnancy, we're talking about me being able to eat and entire sandwich instead of only half a sandwich. I did not magically develop the ability to gorge on pizzas or eat a Big Mac when I got pregnant.

My sleeve will go back to being tiny after my pregnancy, I have no doubt. I still cannot eat a half cup of salad and a cup of Soup for lunch - I still leave nearly half the food when I'm done. There is nothing keeping me from losing the weight postpartum, except perhaps discipline, should I be lacking.

The same thing I tell people about "magic one year windows" (which don't exist with this surgery) applies here: you've removed (or will shortly) 85% of your stomach and it stays gone forever. The increased capacity at one year out is laughable compared to what we ate on a daily basis prior to surgery. Heck, I'm more than two years out and my increased pregnancy capacity has me eating an egg salad sandwich on thinly sliced bread. And feeling far too full afterward, I'll be honest. And that's a meal when I feel like I'm starving! A small bowl of Soup and a very small salad is a far more likely meal for me.

I will of course be back once I'm done with this pregnancy and report on total gain and loss, but I do not expect any real problems. Every single regain post I have ever, ever seen on VST in more than three years here has had one common theme: poor diet, not being accountable and not adhering to the basic rules of Protein first and counting calories. There are additional concerns now and again like starting a new medication or suffering an injury but first and foremost, poor diet has always been part of the equation. I think a lot of people get burned out because they use their sleeve like a diet, and I think that if you avoid that mentality you'll have no problem with regains in the future.

Best of luck to any of you currently pregnant or trying to conceive,

~Cheri

I am 8 weeks pregnant and 5 months post op VSG. Was told I would NEVER conceive and have PCOS. I am elated and terrified!! I am seeing a high risk Obgyn who has assured me everything looks great! I've heard the baby's heartbeat and already seen an ultrasound. What a gift!! I feel no different right now, no morning sickness or cravings. Just a little more sleepy and BREAST THAT I CAN NOT TOUCH from being sooooooo sore. Does the soreness go away anytime soon???? Highest weight was 283 I'm currently 191 ~ was hoping to get to goal of 175 ~ it'll happen. I still do step aerobics. Just finished a 5 week bootcamp ~ found out in middle of camp I was pregnant ~ just did modified exercises for the rest of class. I feel the exercise keeps me going and energized for the most part. I'm a different person from 5 months ago ~ I love to exercise now! Best wishes to you all!! I hope to update monthly on progress and gains.

Pic is 283 / 191

post-19418-13813660531357_thumb.jpg

I am 8 weeks pregnant and 5 months post op VSG. Was told I would NEVER conceive and have PCOS. I am elated and terrified!! I am seeing a high risk Obgyn who has assured me everything looks great! I've heard the baby's heartbeat and already seen an ultrasound. What a gift!! I feel no different right now' date=' no morning sickness or cravings. Just a little more sleepy and BREAST THAT I CAN NOT TOUCH from being sooooooo sore. Does the soreness go away anytime soon???? Highest weight was 283 I'm currently 191 ~ was hoping to get to goal of 175 ~ it'll happen. I still do step aerobics. Just finished a 5 week bootcamp ~ found out in middle of camp I was pregnant ~ just did modified exercises for the rest of class. I feel the exercise keeps me going and energized for the most part. I'm a different person from 5 months ago ~ I love to exercise now! Best wishes to you all!! I hope to update monthly on progress and gains.

Pic is 283 / 191[/quote']

So happy for u

Vsg3805 I watch your YouTube videos and I love them, how are you and the lil' one? I get sleeved on the 19 of this month so nervous, just wanted to touch basis and say thank you for sharing your journey!

Vsg3805 I watch your YouTube videos and I love them' date=' how are you and the lil' one? I get sleeved on the 19 of this month so nervous, just wanted to touch basis and say thank you for sharing your journey!

[/quote']

Thank you Armygirl! We are doing great! I am currently still losing weight that the doctors are discouraging at this point but baby is still healthy!! Found out we are expecting a girl!!!!!! I hope all went well with your surgery and that you are recovering well!!! Take care!!

Sent from my iPad using VST