Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How many calories a day do you eat?

How many calories per day?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. How many calories per day?

• Under 800
    • 800-900
    • 900-1000
    • 1000-1100
    • 1100-1200
    • 1200-1300
    • 1300-1400
    • Over 1400

I had my band done in July 2009, i have lost 52 lbs airly easily. Now i am finding that the weight loss has stopped. i think i need to start counting calories. i have a feeling that i am way under because on days i think i totally blew it and ate WAY to much...i lose?

I tend to not count calories, but looking back at what I've eaten recently, I would guess that I average 2500 calories on days I work out and 1500 a day when I don't. My weight loss has been pretty slow, about 14 months to hit my goal weight, but it seems to be staying off.

Just curious--I'm about three weeks post surgery and I'm at about 1200 calories per day. What about you? How many do you generally eat? Thanks!:hungry:

Well, im 7 months post op and have 7ccs ina 10 cc band I'<e been eating about 750-950 cal on my good days, but have eaten about 1200-1600 on my bad days. But before I got this restriction I was eating like 1600-1900 cal a day for months. After 5 months of being plateau, I'm finally loosing weight. Yay for me! Lol

This has been a really interesting read.

I recently started tracking my calories again, and am always around 1200-1400. I am active up to 12 hours a week, and I truly believe that this should be a healthy calorie level. However I haven't been losing recently - I've weighed 182 for almost a month now! I'm really lost as to whether my calories could be too high or if I'm just plateauing and it will eventually come off. Seeing how evenly spread everyone is makes me feel good about us all making our own choices.

xox

I'm five days post-op and am on full liquids. I take in about 500 calories per day on average. This will be my standard for my first six weeks post-op until I go on regular food at week #7.

I aim for 1000-1100 calories a day. I'm not unhappy to be above or below that, and actually like not sticking to the same thing every day, since it seems to give me a push in the right direction.

I use SparkPeople.com to track my food, not just for calories but also to see my carb, fat and Protein levels. Watching calories isn't enough for me (been there, done that a million times) but paying attention to the others makes a big difference.

I've been plateauing a bit, which means it's time to step up the exercise. I think the nutrition stuff is on target.

Honestly I have no clue...............

My doc and nutritionist said not to worry about counting calories. With the small amount of food we can eat, they want me to focus more on the right types of food, 75% Protein and 25% good carbs, every 3 hours. I've been, what I feel to be, very successful with following these guidelines. Lost my first 100 pounds in 8 months! Slowed down drastically after that but this was mainly due to my own stupidity and horrible food choices for a while. Recently got back on track and am loosing regularly again! 13-18 pounds from my docs goal for me! I'm very happy!:smile2:

does anyone have certain times of the month where yo eal alot of sweets i mean Cookies oreos and pound cake and still dont gain any weight?

I was banded on May 1, 2009 had lost 100 pounds at 8 months. This was at Christmas and I started having sweet craving at that time. I've been terrible with the sugar since then! Have still lost 10 pounds despite this but it definately slowed to a crawl and I haven't felt as good as I was eating healthier. I just recently started back on track and am losing more quickly again, and feeling better too! My nutritionist told me that I can "Cheat" once a week, so I have a blizzard from Dairy Queen or something like that once a week and that has definately helped me stick to a better way of eating. I know how hard it is, good luck with everything!:smile2:

I'm just over one week post-op. And my surgeon here in sweden (and the nutritionist) gave me a suggested meal plan throughout. And the caloric total is somewhere around 1200 (during liquid stage), and needing like 78 g of Protein. I have to eat 9 meals a day (every 2 hrs). I need 5 dl (approx 2 cups) of dairy each day as well.

My first day home after leaving the hospital when I followed the plan eating all that yogurt and milk and stuff, my calories were near 1200 and my protein near 100g. I was shocked! I was convinced I was eating too many calories.

Over the last week I have lost 12 lbs, and I'm eating between 800-1200 per day depending on good I am at getting in the full 9 meals.

Oh and he is intending to refill my band every other month (starting 2 months after surgery) and going on like this until the 1 year mark. He is hoping for me to lose 1-2 lbs a week once I move to solids.

I keep hearing the need to UP calories because the body goes into "STARVATION" mode. If that's the case, why do anorexics lose massive amounts of weight and are stick/bony thin, eating way less than 500 calories a day?

I too, am at a plateu. Had my surgery in May of 2008. Started at 289 and I am holding STEADY at 226. I am at a "sweet spot" but am not losing weight. I have the perfect level of restriction. I can eat chicken and good protien and am full quickly. I do splurge on the weekends. I just don't want to have to "diet". I 'm guessing I consume around 800 calories a day?? and probably more on the weekends...(I don't track)

I am beginning to think that I am not meant to lose weight and be "thin". I admit, I haven't been exercising like I should be. Honestly, it's hard to just 'turn on' the PUMPED UP, READY TO EXERCISE mindset, if I was able to, I would and probably would not have needed the band in the first place. :ohmy:

I keep hearing the need to UP calories because the body goes into "STARVATION" mode. If that's the case, why do anorexics lose massive amounts of weight and are stick/bony thin, eating way less than 500 calories a day?

Well I'll take a stab at this one... Think of the so-called "starvation mode" simply as your body adjusting it's internal combustion engine to it's available fuel. An anorexic may break this cycle by maintaining such an extreme low calorie intake. Rather than your body breaking you down - you break it down. Problem is, obese people don't fit that mold. Eventually, we break down and when we binge after our body has adjusted to very low calorie intake, we pack on the fat at a much faster rate than ever before.

Brad

Okay, from all of the physiology and nutrition courses I've taken over the course of my undergrad, without going into the chemistry of it, here is a brief and simple breakdown of how it seems to work:

-Your body has two main nervous subsystems when it comes to eating/digestion: Sympathetic (fight or flight) and parasympathetic (antithesis, or opposite, of sympathetic).

- If your parasympathetic nervous system is activated, which eating small meals, often, throughout the day will do, your body can digest, therefore increasing the rate of metabolism in order to break down nutrients inside the body; however, if you are not eating and your body has nothing to digest, your metabolic levels drop, which your body does to preserve and use what energy it has efficiently.

All in all, it comes down to a couple of things:

If you eat 450 or so calories a day, your body will eventually slow down it's resting metabolic rate SIGNIFICANTLY, which is why your body will seem to gain weight, even though you're thinking, "WTF!!". So, if you crunched the numbers, you would still be taking in more calories than you are burning.

If you eat 2500-3000 calories per day and you are not an athlete, you are taking in WAY more calories than your body is able to burn every day. 'Nuff said.

If you are eating 5-7 meals per day and averaging AROUND 900-1300ish calories per day, depending on your size and average levels of activity, the chances of you steadily losing weight efficiently is very high.

Okay, I'm not a doctor...yet, nor do I have a license to give medical advice, for the record, but I will tell you this, though. If you don't believe me, do your research at the library, NOT ONLINE. lol.

Tip of the day, kids: EVERYBODY is different. Not every rule in the book is going to perfectly apply to every single person. There's always exceptions, but as a general rule of thumb, this is a keeper. :smile:

Sorry for the long-winded explanation, but someone had to clear this up once and for all. Oh, and if you have any other questions about this, PM me and I'll try and explain it as best I can. :scared2:

John

I just spoke with my nutritionist and she said that typically my surgeon's office sees patient's eating about 1200 cal/day but, as stated earlier, everyone is different and there are different variables to consider including activity level. I am getting about 1600 or so cal/day and I do not feel I am losing well. I also don't feel I am adjusted to where I need to be just yet, not in the "sweet spot".