Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So for the last 4 months I have had my.mind set on the band but lately I question if that is right for me. The one major thing that made me decide that I wanted the band was because of the risks. I really think I would be more successful with the sleeve due to the decrease in hunger, restrictive eating and watnot. What made you decide to go with the sleeve instead of other wls? Right.now I'm 5 7 and 342 lbs. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated!!!!

I'm doing the sleeve...my doctor told me straight up that even though he's done alot of bands, he see's way more success with the sleeve.

Not being hungry was the reason i went for sleeve. So glad i did. I would say do it. Never heard anyone say they love the band and many on here have gone from band to sleeve.

I am also on the band forum and a lot of people are happy with it in general.. the only complain is the slower weight loss. What about in 5 years... will the sleeve stretch and be.like your stomach prior? I have heard stories with the bypass and that... whereas the lapband in 5 years u could go for a fill and get more restriction

Hi Michelle,

I'm also on the band forum. Here's a thread you might want to see

http://www.verticalsleevetalk.com/topic/48153-is-the-band-that-bad/

And here is a video that might help too

Glad to see you doing research be making up your mind.

Hello,

I was in your shoes not too long ago. I decided the sleeve for a few reasons. I like you was part of Band Talk and did tons of research, but the more I read about the band the worse of an idea it seemed like(for me).

-long term success

-potential early complications verses months down the road

- decreased appetite

- it will cure my sweet tooth

- no fussing with fills and unfills

- no worries about internal erosion

- little to no sliming

- not having to worry about a port

- quicker weight loss

- it seems like a fair amount of people are band to sleeve revision and this worried me. I met a guy with the band. He has had his for 2 years and lost 10lbs. This is scary to me.

-sleeve feels like the right thing for me. Bypass too big of a process for me. Band felt like too little and a lot of room for failure. Sleeve is the happy medium.

- no worries about malabsorption

-I want a life long change, not a device has an expiration date.

- I am huge on fruits and vegetables and the sleeve allows this.

My body is starting to be affected by my weight. I am 5'5" was 307 and now 298. Impaired glucose,sleep apnea, back and knees problems. My doctor if I have wls she would not be worried about any of these problems. I think faster weight loss is better for my health at this point.

I hope this information helps out a little. Wishing you the best while making this huge decision. :)

Best,

Sannah

Sent from my iPhone using VST

One more thing.

We may want another baby in the future. I don't want to be unfilled while pregnant!! My hormones make me want everything!! I want control over my body no matter whAt I go through!!

Sent from my iPhone using VST

I had the band and lost only 40 to regain 30 - now have the sleeve and in 4 weeks have lost what I did with the band. Be sleeved

Statistically in 5 years you rill not have your band any more.

The failure rate for the band is very high.I was on the lapband forum for the first few years and boy a lot of us are on this sleeve forum now..lol

The band is a bad idea for so many reasons.We all did it because is wasnt as invasive,it could be turned around and we were scared of doing anything else.Go and look at the pictures of what the band is suppose to to again.It just basically creates 2 parts in your stomach.The food does go down into your stomach and you are still hungry.Then the reflux and heartburn is a huge issue.The port issues is constant,the to tight or not tight enough is a constant issue.The ongoing payment for fills and unfills pile up.The money to have the band removed and then do something else.

And all this is if you dont have any complications.If you do,like I did,your life can become a nightmare.

Adding to all of that the feeling of failure that you will have to overcome somewhere in the future...well,bad idea.

The sleeve gives you the restriction the band promises but cant deliver.It gives you the control you desire so badly.It changes your life forever.

One thing,and this is not personal.With high BMI patients e band have an even bigger failure rate.

I have become less verbal about the band in the past few years but I really feel that the dr's that still do the band feel no ethical or moral obligation or empathy for their patients.THEY KNOW AT IT WILL FAIL.

Go and look at the newest studies on failure rates.

Dont do this to yourself.You are just setting yourself up for a loooong battle that isnt necessary at all.

O,and yes.Most people seems to be happy with there bands,until the inevitable happens.Even the most outspoken band lovers have to eventually admit it doesnt work then.

Good luck and do reconsider carefully.

Get the sleeve and show her whats up. Last surgery you will need. I know someone with the band myself and she is definitely going to fail. She eats all wrong. Excuse me for saying this "f**k you Medicaid- you pay for people like this yet I pay over $400/month for BCBS and I couldnt get mine covered at all. Its BS".... Ah thanks I feel better now.

Sleeve is absolutely the way to go. No doubt. I was with a band to sleeve revision patient when I had my sleeve done. She lost and regained as well. I talked to alot of others that verified the same thing on their cases as well

My concern about this topic is that a couple years ago the band was supposed to be the solution, which is why so many people got one. Now they are finding out about long-term complications with it. Is anyone worried that in five years long-term complications of VSG will start happening, and since the VSG is not reversible we will be stuck with some unforeseen problems? Isn't VSG only a few years old? I'm definitely not getting a band, but it does worry me being an early adopter of new technology. Although, I did get the iPhone 5 on release day... :)

The sleeve just "clicked" for me. I couldn't stand the idea of outside interaction with a foriegn body inside my abdomen. I've had a port and will do my best to NEVER have one again. I have had bits of me removed, but didn't like the idea of having them rearranged.

My concern about this topic is that a couple years ago the band was supposed to be the solution' date=' which is why so many people got one. Now they are finding out about long-term complications with it. Is anyone worried that in five years long-term complications of VSG will start happening, and since the VSG is not reversible we will be stuck with some unforeseen problems? Isn't VSG only a few years old? I'm definitely not getting a band, but it does worry me being an early adopter of new technology. Although, I did get the iPhone 5 on release day... :)[/quote']

No, because the sleeve has been around in other forms for over 50 years. It was originally performed as the first step in a 2 part surgery for people who were considerd too heavy to safely recieve a gasturic bypass surgery. There are documented cases of people getting the first step done (the sleeve) and opting to not complete the procedure as far back as the 1970's. Also the sleeve has been performed in other parts of the world for many years.

The misconception that the sleeve is a new procedure is really a result of the US being so far behind on this technology.

This surgery actually preceded the band by many years. In my opinion the only reason the band won approval in the US so quickly was because major drug companies had the opportunity to sell a piece of plastic & rubber for 1500. So they put their power & money behind it & got the quick approval.

**** you nailed it dead on the head. I have built many homes in the past for washington lobbiests in Louisiana. These homes were in excess a million dollars. Somebody is getting paid

Thanks OTR, I didn't realize this. It makes me feel more confident in my decision to pursue a sleeve.