Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feeling Really Down

I just had my surgery on 10/2 and I've been doing great. But today I can't stop crying. I feel like my entire life is ruined. I hate watching tv because there is always commercials or people eating. I can't seem to get out of this funk now. I'm feeling like I made a really huge mistake. Maybe I could have done this entire thing with such drastic measures.

I hate crying I have a 7 year-old little girl that I won't let me see down. But I can't stop.

Sorry for such a pathetic post but no one else around me understands.

When you have any type of surgery, your body has to adjust and "come down" from meds. My bet is that your body is doing that and all the nervousness of the last weeks has relaxed. I know that when I am extremely stressed, I will hold it together until the stress is gone and then sob. Tell your baby that you just have to cry a little to get well.

Ok, so there are lots of reasons this could be happening. 1 -- grief. You are greiving the loss of food in your life, the role it played and your relationship with it has changed, and I know for me that was a big deal. 2. as our bodies lose fat, those fat cells release estrogen that can make us emotional. I cried one week post op because 12 years ago when my sister got married, I wasn't old enough to go to her bachelorette party.

Don't beat yourself up about your decision, that will not help anything. Remember how excited you were pre-op and how much you wanted this? This is a new begining for you and your daughter! This is the start of a healthier, happier life!

Also, when we are stressed, there is 2 ways to release cortisol (the stress hormone) and that is to cry or sweat. So embrace your emotions and accept that crying is a good thing. When you are crying, you can explain to your daughter that crying is a healthy outlet for emotions, not something to be ashamed of!

It's o.k to cry. I've heard a few people, talk about how emotional they were after surgery. Your body is recuperating and your hormones are wacked! Once the weight starts dropping off, you wont be bothered as much by food commercials, or food in general. Keep the goal in mind! To be healthy and lighter.

It will be ok!!! I too just had my surgery on 10/2. And I am going to say it 's normal to cry and be emotional at this point. Because just reading your story is making me cry. Lol! I think it's our way of letting go of all the pent up stress and energy that has been building up pre surgery and the fact that we aren't feeling 110%. I'm going bananas in my house! When I start feeling the frustration coming on I take a short walk outside and it makes me feel better. I've just realized that taking it one day at a time into our new life is easier to deal with then looking at the huge overall future change ahead of us. You'll be fine and if you have to cry just let yourself cry!!!

I hate watching tv because there is always commercials or people eating

Eating is like a lover, easily accessible and faithful to temporarily fill your emotional hunger. Now you have gone to divorce court, you could no longer live with the devastation the relationship was causing to your health and life. Grief is inevitable like it is for any relationship. People seldom divorce without missing at least a little what they had before, especially when they see others enjoying their relationships.

I can tell you that you will find new loves. This time your new food relationship will not be destructive but beneficial. food will not smother you with quantity but you will enjoy it as it meets your physical needs. Your emotional needs will be met in other pursuits, ones that were overlooked and stifled by food obsession. After an initial period of re-education, food will be less and less on your mind. You will be free to explore yourself and the world around you and joy will spring up.

I can understand what you are going through. My TV was set firmly on the Food Channel 24/7 both before and for weeks after my sleeving. Eventually it lost its appeal and my mind turned to God, family, friends, and fun. When my new formerly buried body surfaced, exercise became a passion as the anchor of weight was cut away. Moving my body around became fun again and I looked for reasons to do it.

I think some lyrics from the George Harrison song work well with us WLS people:

Little darling, it's been a long cold lonely winter

Little darling, it feels like years since it's been here

Here comes the sun

Here comes the sun, and I say

It's all right

Little darling, the smiles returning to the faces

Little darling, it seems like years since it's been here

Here comes the sun

It's all right

Sun, sun, sun, here it comes

Little darling, I feel that ice is slowly melting

Little darling, it seems like years since it's been clear

Here comes the sun

It's all right

Hi, its going to get better.

I had my surgery on july 2012. a couple of days after my surgery i started wondering why in the hell i did this to myself. i kept thinking this was too drastic. but now im 3 months post op and im glad i had the surgery. now i can eat whatever i want but i just cant eat a lot of it.. which is fine with me.

dont worry it will get better as time goes on and you will be able to eat whatever you want. and the good thing about eating whatever you want is that since you have had your surgery you want be able to over eat. and thats a big plus because if you dont over eat then you want gain weight.....

A week or so out I laid in bed crying and could not stop. I called the nurse who said I was morning the loss of food. I thought what, that wasn't supposed to happen to me. WRONG. So I made myself get dressed and go to a store. Cause I was certain I did not want to cry in front of a store full of strangers, it worked for me. It does pass, hang in there!

gman - you rock! Thanks for the song!!!!

cmom - I'm so sorry you are hurting. I kinda "freaked out" about a week after my surgery too. There so much hype and preparations prior to the surgery - and then the first three days were rough pain-wise - then I was home and the reality hit me! What the hell did I do to myself! I think I had to go through it. I really do. I turned the TV off for two weeks cuz I could not deal with the commercials.

This AM, I went to Breakfast with a friend. I ordered eggs and they came with hash browns and pancakes. I literally could only eat like 1/4 of the eggs and a few tiny bites of hash browns. The rest all came home with me. pancakes went to my friend. He asked me if I was ok - knowing I had all this food sitting there I could not eat -_]and I said YES!!!! I would not change things for the whole world. I have lost 95 pounds the last 3+ months. I am about to walk a 5K for the first time in my life! My clothes are falling off of me! I can BREATH! DANCE! BEND! FIT IN A BOOTH!

cmom - don't give up! Keep reminding yourself why you did this! You are going to be so thankful as the weight starts dropping off and you continue to heal. Turn off the commercials (or at least mute them). Pop in a kids tape vs. crummy TV for your child. Or play a game!!! You will be ok - and you are AMAZING! It took so much courage for you to do what you did! YOU ARE A SUPER STAR and I, for one, am so, so proud of you!!!!

Feel free to friend me - and I will send you my phone number. I'd be happy to listen any time you need a friend to talk all this through with. I've been there and I care! Big hug!!!!!

Chicago (Amy)

Thanks everyone, I've started to get it under control. I know it's only another week and it will be more food options and then more as the time goes by. I know I'm being overly emotional and have to continue to remind myself why I did it.

The worst part is the headache I have. I'm getting my fluids in and think its just from stress and crying. And Tylenol is totally recalled around here so just have to deal.

I'll sleep after my daughter and pray feel better tomorrow.

Hang in there! I have also grieved for my food (surgery 9/25). I am a big cook, food blog reader and love to try new recipes. I have been scanning Pinterest these days looking @ my food "p0rn" and adding recipes to my recipe manager. With time I know this fascination will end.

There is also Post OP depression from the anestesia even my husband had it with his shoulder surgery.. Kind of like after you have a baby

There is also Post OP depression from the anestesia even my husband had it with his shoulder surgery.. Kind of like after you have a baby

I just had my surgery on 10/2 and I've been doing great. But today I can't stop crying. I feel like my entire life is ruined. I hate watching tv because there is always commercials or people eating. I can't seem to get out of this funk now. I'm feeling like I made a really huge mistake. Maybe I could have done this entire thing with such drastic measures.

I hate crying I have a 7 year-old little girl that I won't let me see down. But I can't stop.

Sorry for such a pathetic post but no one else around me understands.

I cried for about 1 week, and then it was done. Remember, your body has had major trauma. It's in hyperdrive hormones, decreased calories, and anesthesia...anesthesia makes me nuts...I have cried after every surgery I have had to be put to sleep over...so these feelings you are having are normal. If it continues to be bad for you, talk to a therapist or your doctor. They can help you. Good Luck! I am always a message away if you need me. I walked in your shoes and for me, it got better at 2 weeks out.