Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Questions, Questions, So Many Questions

dlinnh
Sign in to follow this  

I'm glad I found this small group of November VSG'rs (NVSG for short) :)

My surgery date is set for 11/12. It's funny, but I'm not scared or anxious about it really at this point in time. I mean when I first started this whole process, physically starting and mentally starting - I had some bad dreams about it. Woke up throughout the night a little panic stricken. But now, I say BRING IT ON.

Also, has anyone felt that for every pound they are losing now (pre op), they realize they will never gain it back again? Before when I dieted, I would say to myself, I wonder how long I'll 'BE ABLE" TO keep it off.

Also, I'm apprehensive about after surgery - everyone seems to have such a hard time getting in a few ounces of Liquid Protein and staying hydrated. hair loss concerns? anyone?

My date is November 12 as well! I never thought of losing weight before surgery as the last I'll see of it. What a great way to think!

I am getting nervous, but I won't look back. My family just got back from two weeks in Italy. OMG, those pictures are horrible. I do not want to spend the rest of my life being ashamed and humiliated by my size.

I,m not worried about the Protein. I found Costco's Premium Protein Drinks with 30 (or maybe 27..can't remember) grams of Protein and I like them alot.

For hair loss, I am being proactive. I started taking Biotin twice a day last week. I figured it makes more sense than to wait for a problem. After surgery I plan on doing hot oil treatments every week or two. I've been drinking zero Vitamin Water as well as taking my Vitamins now. If I don't get low on Vitamins and nutrients, stay hydrated and keep my protein up, I am hoping for fewer problems. Please keep in touch. I hope we both do well.

Hi: BTW my name is Diane - I live in New Hampshire and my starting weight was 237..I see yours is pretty close to mine...nice job losing 13 lbs so far! My scale seems to be stuck at 229 at the moment. I bought Biotin but didn't start taking it - guess I will start tomorrow. I thought about buying Isopur Protein drinks, not sure where to get em though. I tried mixing some Protein Powder drinks already. I got myself a single serve blender at Walmart. It works great. Heres what I did:

One scoop of whey Protein (vanilla) from walmart - sugar free. One tablespoon of sugar free vanilla international instant coffee - a handful of frozen mixed berries; some water; ice and a little bit of s.f. almond milk. It is really really good.

I hope we don't get dehydrated, as others have. i hope it is a breeze. LOL

I have a big pre-op series of appts. this Thursday - I'll let you know what they say and what I will learn.

Do you have to do a full two pre-op liquid diet?

My pre op testing is 10/23. Today I researched abdominal binders. I've read that they help with pain the first week.

I've been eating poorly since Thursday evening. Starting over tomorrow on low carbs and high Protein.< /p>

I love how I feel after a few days of no carbs. Not so hungry. And this high protein eating has made my nails grow like crazy. I love it. I decided that when/if I reach a normal weight I'm going to treat myself to a nice ring. Getting excited.

Hey All! Scheduled Nov. 6th and definitely ready.

Like the OP, I'm definitely not worried or scared, might be a bit anxious, but more anxious for the start of a new life vs the actual surgery.

the only thing i feel i can do better on right now is Protein, i am currently ordering up sample packs and will definitely be stocking up as soon as i get my paycheck.

Good luck all!

Well what a crazy week I had - working ALOT and I had a five hour Pre-Op Day yesterday. It went something like this: Arrived at 1:00 - pre admission paperwork; then up to meet with a Nurse Practioner who gave me a packet explaining the pre-op liquid diet I have to be on (more on that later); back down to have 9 vials of blood drawn - did I mention I hadn't eaten yet! Felt a little faint - but I got my act together. Off to meet with an intake nurse and have an EKG done (my heart is beautiful apparently) LOL. Spoke with the anthesiologist (he was sorta weird - but I may not even have him on that day). Back upstairs to a very long meeting with my original nurse practioner who explained the day of surgery and what to expect. Finally, five hours later I had a class with a nutrionist to explain what to eat after surgery and beyond - another huge packet - I'm now confused. So much to remember! The good news is that I've lost 9lbs on my own so far. I start pre-op diet on the 29th of October (2 weeks before surgery). I had to purchase HMR800 shakes. I have to drink five shakes a day and NOTHING ELSE! No jello; popsicles or broth. Only a lot of Water - this may be tough for me...

I have also been to two mandatory pre-op group classes. I have two to go. I have to admit they are useless for me. Some of the people in there, really do not have their heads wrapped around this process and should not be doing this. IMO. there are a lot of lap band folks there. They are worried about Thanksgiving! I could go on and on, but I won't. I just hope they are doing this for all the right reasons.

Truth be told, I am anxious about the surgery - excited, but anxious. So how have you guys been doing? - Diane

Hi All. I just got my surgery date today and it's Nov. 14th. My doc's office requires a two-week pre-op diet of Optifast. I'm so excited, but also am very nervous. The only time I've spent a day on only liquids is when I've been sick!

Rachel

Rachel: I am not looking forward to drinking five shakes a day and nothing else but Water for 14 days! But....I heard the shakes taste good, and some people drink this stuff for a year! They all lose a ton of weight, but gain it right back. However, for all of us, we will have the necessary tools to not regain - good luck! Our November dates will be hear before we know it..keep in touch everyone - Diane

My surgery is 11/26...Monday after Thanksgiving. I think we'll have to have our Turkey day early this year. My pre-op appointment and nutrition appointment aren't until the first week of November. I'll definitely be coming back to reread posts to see what worked for everyone and what didn't.

Darcy

Hi everyone,

Had my surgery on the 7th and it's going well so far. I hope everyone is travelling ok that have had surgery this month and for those of you who are yet to have it this month, best of luck - it's great!

I'm loving for the first time in my life not being dictated to by food.

Dean

My surgery is the 29th! Im excited! Cant wait to see everyones journey!

Hi all~

I had my surgery on 11/15 and only had to spend one night in the hospital! My post-op recovery is going great, I'm even going back to work tomorrow! I'm happy because I'll be less sedentary and more active. My only complaint is some soreness in one of my incisions still. However, I tried to take it easy today, and it's a lot better. I'm down 24 lbs. since surgery, WOW, but I expect the weight loss will begin to slow as I start eating denser foods. However, I plan on starting Yoga on Wednesday, so that should kick start loosing again.

Have a great day and let's keep in touch!

Jana

Hey all,

I'm eleven days out, Nov. 15 was my surgery date. I've lost 25 pounds, from 215 to 190. Not bad, but I have no energy.....shouldn't I have some energy, here? Oh well, I'm just taking it day by day. I drive one hour and forty five minutes everyday to and from work. I don't know if I'm up for that drive twice a day yet.

Good luck to those of you just going through this milestone in your life. I'm happy to have it behind me and to look forward to a more healthy life!

Hello Everyone I just joined. My date was Nov 15 I am about 10 days post op. Doing well. Very hard to get all the fluids in. Had to stay in the hospital for 2 days as they found a hernia that was also removed. I live in Maui but flew to San Fransico to have it done as there are no weightloss programs here. Was extremely nervous woke up waiting for the pain to come except for my back I did not have any.

Jana we have the same op date. I am not planning to go back to work for another week or two. Trying to get in the swing of things. I work 10-14 hour days and wondering if I can keep up. So want to make sure I am ready.

Diane loved your posts. I actually went to a weight loss seminar in Fla two years ago but was scared away by all the people shoving chips and candy while gasping for air... I could not get out of there fast enough. I was so confused by the fact hello your at weight loss surgery seminar and you cant wait 30 minutes to eat? It depressed the hell out of me.

I only started looking into again when I saw a freind who did RYN and how awesome she looked went to my first apointment in Sept and had the sleeve done in Nov it was FAST!

Good luck to all of you. I have been wondering how people are doing there is not a group here.

What do you eat? I am on 400 cal 70 gram Protein

Are you hungry? I am sometimes I worry did they really do it. I dont know what my full feels like yet but it is hard to drink a lot

Lets stay in touch would love to see how we are all doing!! Go November Sleevers!

Julie

Hey all,

I'm eleven days out, Nov. 15 was my surgery date. I've lost 25 pounds, from 215 to 190. Not bad, but I have no energy.....shouldn't I have some energy, here? Oh well, I'm just taking it day by day. I drive one hour and forty five minutes everyday to and from work. I don't know if I'm up for that drive twice a day yet.

Good luck to those of you just going through this milestone in your life. I'm happy to have it behind me and to look forward to a more healthy life!

Hi,

We have the same surgery date and real similar weight loss. This morning I woke up feeling listless, no energy at all. I broke a rule and drank a cup of halfcaf (half the caffeine of normal coffee) with a splash of sugar-free Toriani Carmel Syrup. That did the trick! I sipped slowly, but felt better before I left the house for work. I didn't really bother my stomach, which was a big concern.

Then about 1/2 through the day I pop my Bcomplex Vitamin, and it gives me another energy boost.

My biggest problem right now is the 64 oz of Water. That is really tough. I can get in about 32 oz. through the course of my work day, but then in the evening, my sleeve seems to fill up fast and I just can't get enough in.

Oh well, surgery was still totally worth it!