Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

April 2006 Bandits October Challenge

Hi all, this morning we spent hauling wood for my parents, cut, loaded, unloaded and stacked 2 pick-up loads of firewood. Then made it to Curves this afternoon. Made my 17th day....I actually think I forgot to add a day or 2, but it doesn't matter!!! Tomorrow, I think I will go for a ride. They say it is pretty good exercise, but I am going for enjoyment!!! Maybe tomorrow afternoon, we will go for and iron-horse ride!!! In the morning I am taking my granddaughter and a friends daughter to a local farm, where they are doing hay rides, out to a pumpkin patch, letting the kids pick pumpkins, then back to bob for apples, or you can dip an apple in the caramel, they have several games, and a petting zoo (that smells so bad from the goats, I refuse to go!!!). I think they will enjoy it. Maybe then no one will want to go riding with me...I would like some alone "down" time!!

We almost made it to the end of the month....hang in there everyone!!!

Kat

Our son did well with the heart cath (angiogram) on Friday......discovered tho that the aneurism is larger than they thought and that they would have to go with the artificial valve again - so he will have to stay on cumadin..........not such a great drug, but in this case a necessary evil! His surgery is now scheduled for Tuesday morning......not such a good trick or treat.

Well, the October challenge is almost over............I'm proud of myself and all of you............I did 20 as of today and hoping to get a my marathon morning in on Monday - that will give me a total of 21!!!

Had a fill on Wednesday and think I'm pretty "tight"......been staggering around the same weight now for several weeks, but the past day or two have come down a couple of pounds. Think I have been having a little too many non-fat, sugar free latte's since the weather became cold........maybe a bit too many liquid calories - so going to cut that out.

Looking forward to the November challenge..........I need to do the Water part really bad.........water is hard for me!

October

2 - 1 Hour NIA class

3 - 1 hour 3 mile walk (to and back from breakfast)

4 -

5 - 1 hour 3 mile walk (our favorite to breakfast)

6 - 1 Hour NIA class

7 - 1 Hour NIA class

8 -

9 - 1 Hour NIA, 1/2 hour Core, 1 Hour Strength Training

10 - ***new class*** 1 hour Group Grove/1 hour rt walk to Breakfast

11 - 1 hour NIA

13 - 1 hour NIA

14 - 1 hour NIA

15 -

16 - 1 hour NIA

17 - 1 hour walk to breakfast

18 - 1 Hour NIA

19 - 1 hour rt walk to breakfast

20 - 1 hour NIA, 1/2 hour Core, 1 hour Group Power

21 - 1 Hour NIA

22 -

23 - 1 Hour NIA, 1/2 hour Core, 1 hour strength training

26 - 1 hour rt to breakfast

27 - 1 hour NIA

28 - 1 hour NIA

Looks like I missed this one, but is there going to be one for November? I'm in on that one!

Ok guys, what is our goal for November? It is almost here and we need to start planning. I will be an official "old" lady on the first, so I need to keep my motivation up.

K@t, we would love to have you join us in November! You will probably need to take it a bit easy right after you have your port revision surgery though. I have a treadmill and ab lounger at home. It has been a couple of months since my port revision surgery and the doc still hasn't cleared me to use the ab lounger.

10/4: 35 minutes on the treadmill

10/6: 35 minutes on the treadmill

10/7: 50 minute walk around the neighborhood

10/8: 35 minutes on the treadmill

10/9: 35 minutes on the treadmill

10/11: 35 minutes on the treadmill

10/12: 40 minute walk around the neighborhood

10/13: None

10/14: 35 minutes on the treadmill

10/15: 35 minutes on the treadmill

10/16: none

10/17: none

10/18: 35 minutes on the treadmill

10/19: 35 minutes on the treadmill

10/20: none

10/21: none

10/22: 4 hours walking around the zoo

10/23: 35 minutes on the treadmill

10/24: none

10/25: 40 minute walk around the neighborhood

10/26: 35 minutes on the treadmill

10/27: none

10/28: 3 hours house cleaning, 2 hours laundry, 35 minutes on the treadmill<!-- / message --><!-- sig --><!-- / message --><!-- sig --><!-- / message --><!-- sig --><!-- / message --><!-- sig --><!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Yeah, I think I'm going to mention it to the gym and let them know I won't be going for a few weeks. I'll try to stick to the treadmill until I can go back to the gym. Is there going to be a new thread started for the november challenge?

I haven't posted for more than a week, but I've been doing really well and have already exceeded the challenge for October. My ultimate goal, I think, is to make exercise as much a part of my daily routine as brushing my teeth. I want to WANT to exercise every day, not find excuses to avoid it. No way am I there yet, but I'm pleased to report that I haven't been tempted to skip a day -- except for the weekends, when I take a break. I guess I'll know that I've "arrived" when I no longer want a weekend break! heh

I'm very fortunate that my current life situation makes my lap-band trip a whole lot easier because a) I live alone (except when my daughter is home from college), so I don't have to cook or keep food around for others, a tremendous help in avoiding temptation; :) I am retired, so I have the freedom to attend yoga and fitness classes whenever I want and swim laps every day and not be stressed by time restraints; c) I have enjoyed (touch wood!) a several-months-long period of relative tranquility -- no illnesses, no crises to speak of, pretty much stress-free.

Because my own life has been so easy of late, I am even more inspired by the energy and dedication that all of you show in staying focused while dealing with the multitude of crises, problems and distractions that inevitably occur in our lives and have the potential to throw us off-course. Also, I am tremendously grateful for the support, goodwill and camaraderie generated by this small group. It really does help!

Roberta, I'm hoping that your heating problems have been resolved. You have my complete sympathy and understanding because I have a house full of Sears appliances, so I know how demoralizing it can be to get one of those babies fixed! Another thought: Even if you don't make the October challenge, you're still a winner because of all the exercise sessions you DID complete! (And that number is not too shabby!) How is your husband doing?

Boo, you've been doing so well, and your running is awesome. The scale WILL move, believe me.

Kat, kudos on completing the October Challenge! Also, you're invited to my next Hawaii-themed party to give a hula-hoop demonstration. Jeez, I was never able to master that skill!

Another K@t!!! Welcome! You'll like it here. And good luck with the port-revision surgery on the Nov. 8th. Do you mind telling us what happened?

Betty, kudos on completing and exceeding the October Challenge! My thoughts and prayers for your son's surgery on Tuesday.

Susan, hope your work life has slackened off a bit. We want you in good shape for the November Challenge!

Julie, your comments about feeling cold struck a chord... Every time I have dieted to normal weight, I have felt cold cold cold! And now that New England winter is almost here, I'm fearing the ongoing loss of flesh to keep me warm. Yeah, I can put on a sweater. What I'm talking about, though, is the imagery in my head: Flesh is soft, cozy, warm, protecting; bones are hard, unyielding, uncomfortable, and remind me of death. (Sorry, I must sound like a nut.)

Eficka, hope you are recovered from the flu. How goes the Challenge?

November Challenge:I'm fine with keeping the number of sessions at 17, although my personal goal is higher. But 36 minutes each? This may sound silly, but the number is too digital, too fitness-machine-specific for me. If we want to increase the time, I suggest increments of five minutes. If that's too much, leave it at 35 min. Water? Yes yes yes!

October Challenge

1) 10/2: 1-hr movement class, 35-min lap swim

2) 10/3: 1-hr yoga class, 35-min lap swim

3) 10/4: 1-hr movement class, 35-min lap swim

4) 10/5: 1-hr yoga class, 35-min lap swim

5) 10/6: 35-min lap swim

6) 10/9: 1-hr movement class, 35-min lap swim

7) 10/10: 1-hr yoga class, 40-min lap swim

8) 10/11: 1-hr movement class, 40-min lap swim

9) 10/12: 1-hr yoga class, 40-min lap swim

10) 10/13: 40-min lap swim

11) 10/16: 1-hr movement class, 40-min lap swim

12) 10/17: 1-hr yoga class, 40-min lap swim

13) 10/18: 1-hr movement class, 40-min lap swim

14) 10/19: 1-hr yoga class, 40-min lap swim, 1-hr firewood stacking*

15) 10/20: 50-min lap swim

16) 10/23: 1-hr movement class, 40-min lap swim

17) 10/24: 1-hr yoga class, 40-min lap swim

18) 10/25: 1-hr movement class, 40-min lap swim

19) 10/26: 1-hr yoga class, 40-min lap swim

20) 10/27: 50-min lap swim

*I know, I know, not really a new exercise, but my plans for a Nordic Walking session were canceled,

so stacking firewood is gonna count. Now I know why I pay teenagers to do this!

Hey everyone--we almost made it to the end of the month!! Today we had for about 5 minutes, all the leaves out of our yard!!! We took 2 walks and did the leaves. Then I brought wood into the house, and decided I was done, that was enough for today!!!

Bluehill, the hula hoop wa easy once I figured out the rythm again!!! I did a Hawaii theme for my parents anniversary this summer. It was such fun we decided to make in an annual event!! I mean good grief I have all this stuff, grass skirts, table decorations, leis....2 HUGE totes full, we have to use it more than once. Besides it was a blast!!! A friend of my DD's made us one of the plywood things with the beach babe, and surfer painted on the front, and you stand behind with your face through the hole. The pictures I have are priceless!! I'm glad you made the challenge, and did so well! I don't have a real preference on the time allotted to the next months challenge, I agree my biggest change for the month will to be making my Water intake habit again. I know I would feel much better, I always do when I make sure to stay hydrated!

Welcome Heather, good to see you again!!! Yes we will start a new thread on Nov. 1st, it will outline the challenge, and we just check in as we find time, and encourage one another. It is a great group!!

Betty--know we will be with you in thought on Tuesday. Prayers will be going steady. Your situation hits very close to home with me still. Please know we are all with you in heart.

Boo..Keep running girl, I am so impressed!!!

So what's on the agenda for Halloween with y'all?

Kat

Thanks to you all for the good thoughts and prayers for my son's upcoming surgery on Tues. Isn't it amazing how we all connect with each other just having this "one little thingy" in common. We're all over the country, different ages, from all aspects of life but of "one heart and soul".............all mother's and wife's and human kindred spirits. That is what it is all about!

Hi all, haven't talked to you all for a while, but been reading the thread, and admiring how well you are all doing..........so my announcement is that i am ready to join the November challenge, I even started yesterday with 10 mins weights and 35 mins on treadmill, so count me in................

But be warned.........I am gonna win the challenge, hehehehe!!!!:o:) :mad:

Other news, wore my new downsized uniform and people were commenting on how good I look, wow, it felt great! had another fill, doing ok on it, hard to eat sometimes though but usually my own fault from not chewing properly or slowly, down another couple of kilos although i dont' weight myself as I will just obsess over it otherwise

Hello to you all

Regards

Amourette!!!!!:clap2:

Hi Betty, I've been thinking about you and your family as Tuesday approaches. I will keep your son in my prayers.

Bluehill: I was wondering where you were :-). Finally got my heat Tuesday evening, GRRRRR. Thanks so much for your encouragement. This month has been a challenge on a lot of levels. The knee I had the surgery on a few years back blew up and was giving me a lot of pain this month. That kept me off the treadmill when I couldn't make it to Curves. Bummer. Anyway I have one more day left, and maybe I'll be able to get in some more exercise today.

Amourette and Heather: I am so glad you are going to join us next month, we are a small group but you'll find a lot of support here. Congratulations Amourette on wearing a smaller size and people noticing your new figure. It feels good right?

Eva: sorry your still not feeling well.

Kat: sounds like you all had an awesome time!

35 min at Curves this nmorning!

Roberta

I met the challenge this weekend. I spent the weekend with friends in the country (it's soooo nice to get out of the city from time to time) and was able to work out three days straight to meet the challenge. On Friday, I ran for 7 minutes (then walked for 30). The longest I'd run before was 3 minutes. My immediate goal is to get to 10 minute intervals because I'm having a hard time getting my heart rate into my target zone on my beloved elliptical machine these days. Running takes me immediately there, but it's not good for me to run for long periods because I'm still so heavy. I figure if I can just run for 10 minutes of my workout, every other day, that'll give me the cardio boost I need without killing my knees -- at least until I get to Onederland (when I'm going to run like a gazelle!). Saturday, I went for a long walk around the neighbor's horse farm and Sunday I did some modified weight training (wall pushups against the barn, step aerobics onto and off of the porch, lunges off the well -- it was a country weekend). I'm hitting the real gym to try for 7 minutes of running again today. We'll see if I can make it.

About November, I hear you about 36 minutes being a little clinical, Bluehill. I hadn't thought of it that way, but I definitely see your point. My impression is that this group isn't ready for a 40 minute commitment for November. Please speak up, all, if you don't agree! Unless we decide otherwise, I'm thinking 17 sessions, 35 minutes, and the new thing will be the Water goal.

My personal goal will be to do 250 crunches every night as well. I was talking to my Dad (the plastic surgeon) who said if my stomach muscles were in great shape, I would need less muscle repair if I have a Tummy Tuck in a few months and that makes the recovery a ton easier. So, I'm going to work on those muscles as much as I can!

Isn't it amazing how we all connect with each other just having this "one little thingy" in common. We're all over the country, different ages, from all aspects of life but of "one heart and soul".............all mother's and wife's and human kindred spirits. That is what it is all about!

Well said, Betty! I agree, there's a special connection among us. The energy here is so positive, and there's a tremendous feeling of group support and trust. And look how we have inspired one another to get active! This is indeed a group that gets results! Yay, us!

Amourette, great to see you here! Not only are you wearing sneakers, you're already getting in practice time for the November Challenge. I like your attitude -- you're definitely gonna win the challenge. We're ALL winners here!

Eva, I'm so sorry to hear that you're not back to full health yet, and in fact have been further challenged with a heavy workload. Sending good thoughts your way and hoping that your load will soon be lighter. Just remember that you already ARE lighter -- more than 50 lbs lighter! Use the image of your body getting ever lighter to help you through heavy times. And be good to yourself, get lots of sleep, choose food wisely, drink lots of Water.< /p>

Julie, that's so exciting about your running. Use the beautiful image that you created to inspire yourself: Running like a gazelle. And kudos on meeting the October Challenge! Your weekend in the country sounds lovely. Were you anywhere near my stomping ground, the Berkshires?

October Challenge

1) 10/2: 1-hr movement class, 35-min lap swim

2) 10/3: 1-hr yoga class, 35-min lap swim

3) 10/4: 1-hr movement class, 35-min lap swim

4) 10/5: 1-hr yoga class, 35-min lap swim

5) 10/6: 35-min lap swim

6) 10/9: 1-hr movement class, 35-min lap swim

7) 10/10: 1-hr yoga class, 40-min lap swim

8) 10/11: 1-hr movement class, 40-min lap swim

9) 10/12: 1-hr yoga class, 40-min lap swim

10) 10/13: 40-min lap swim

11) 10/16: 1-hr movement class, 40-min lap swim

12) 10/17: 1-hr yoga class, 40-min lap swim

13) 10/18: 1-hr movement class, 40-min lap swim

14) 10/19: 1-hr yoga class, 40-min lap swim, 1-hr firewood stacking

15) 10/20: 50-min lap swim

16) 10/23: 1-hr movement class, 40-min lap swim

17) 10/24: 1-hr yoga class, 40-min lap swim

18) 10/25: 1-hr movement class, 40-min lap swim

19) 10/26: 1-hr yoga class, 40-min lap swim

20) 10/27: 50-min lap swim

21) 10/30: 1-hr movement class, 40-min lap swim

Well ladies I went back to Curves this afternoon for another 35 min workout! Do you think I'll be able to walk tomorrow??? LOL

Roberta