Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Antidepressants & Weight Gain

short story - i will probably be prescribed anti-depressants.

However, I want to be careful about what I'm prescribed because I've heard that some cause weight gain (even if the manufacturer claims different).

Please tell me your experience with antidepressants. Any that, in your opinion, i should definately avoid? I'm terrified of going backwards but I know I'm going to need it, maybe long term since depression runs in the family and my home situation is not good right now.

I have taken numerous antidepressants over the course of many years and have not felt they have affected my weight - although I have had other medications that caused severe weight gain. It is always something to watch for- but you may be pleasantly surprised. Also, your doctor could start you with a medication with a more appropriate side effect profile keeping in mind your specific situation.

I was on Prozac, i did gain weight on it, but i blame myself and not the pills. when I asked my doctor about anti depressants and weight gain I was told Paxil tends to make people gain the most weight and Wellbutrin tends to make people lose weight. Prozac can go either way.

And remember ... just like not everyone will see the same positive results from a drug, not everyone will see the same side effects either. Do see a psychiatrist, their whole job is knowing what drugs to prescribe for what conditions.

Beware that some drugs are extended release, and my psych said that sleevers don't do well on extended release drugs, because the stomach doesn't do what the drug thinks it's going to do (or something) ... so instead he prescribed the normal-release, more often during the day.

Lastly, have an open mind and you will be fine. Many of us are on antidepressants, and many of us (myself included) credit them with helping quite a bit.

Has anyone taken Pristiq? Does it cause weight gain?

Thank you. good to know about the extended release. since alot of doctors dont even know what the sleeve is at least I can say what I cant have.

My sister-in-law is on Prozac and she has gained significantly, despite watching what she eats, etc. She feels better but In my situation I don't think "feeling better" will offset weight gain at this point.

Do antidepressants lead to weight gain on their own or do they just change a person's appetite?

Few years back I was on lexapro! I lost about 20lbs because they made me nauseous!

Sent from my iPhone using VST

I was on citalipram for anxiety still am.but i did put allot of weight on being on it .becouse it just takes your worries an cares away.wen i stop it an diet id loose weight so its still down to us really.but i got no problems loosing weight now with it .that im sleeved.

I was on lexapro for about a year. I gained about 20lbs on it.

Had much better luck with Paxil.

I'm 3 weeks post sleeve and I'm off my medication ( dr approved). Feel great BUT I can tell that my mood shifts if I don't get a minimum 3 mile walk in daily.

I think medication wise -it affects different people different ways. My BFF gained weight with Paxil but not lexapro.

Best wishes

I had to take a tricyclic antidepressant against pain, not depression, a number of years ago. I gained ***55 POUNDS*** in six months. The doctor claimed it was just my fault. Riiiigghhht. Anyhow, I would avoid those if possible, which shouldn't be an issue cos they're not used for depression all that much anymore -- they're called Nortriptyline, Amitriptyline, etc.

I've heard people having problems with both Paxil and Zoloft as well. Wellbutrin is known as one that does NOT cause weight gain.

Good luck and I really hope you feel better!! {{{Hugs}}}

Do antidepressants lead to weight gain on their own or do they just change a person's appetite?

I would say the latter, I was on a SSRI and anti-anxiety drug and gained about 75 pounds, it certainly wasn't the pills doing it, it was all the food I was pushing in my pie hole. I guess I just didn't care.

I would further support this as after I got off them (and a nasty withdrawal period too) I immediately WANTED to lose weight and determined I could not, so I decided on WLS. I doubt that I would have done anything about my weight had I remained on the pills.< /p>

I take Cymbalta for depression and Prozac for PMS so I don't kill people. I used to take Wellbutrin which made me loose weight AND helped me quit smoking. As far as I know it's the only one that does that. I thought I might be able to stop after surgery but no such luck. I was miserable. Good luck to you.

He gave me Wellbutrin twice daily. Hope it helps. Need to find my happy place. Thanks for the input guys.

I gained 80 pounds on Prozac and abilify with no change in diet. Changed psychiatrist an she changed me to Welbutrin. I'm already starting to lose weight. My question is, has anyone had the sleeve and not lost weight due to psych meds? I would hate to go through a life changing surgery and not lose the weight.