Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi yall... Im almost 6 weeks post op for my gastric sleeve.. My highest weight (right before liquid diet) was 255, day of surgery weight was 244, and my current weight is 231.5. I am loosing very slow.. In the 6 weeks post op I have only lost 12.5 lbs. I am able to tolerate all foods with no problems what so ever.. I was scared I was over eating and a friend of mine that has also had the surgery suggested a weighing my food out before eating (4-5 oz per meal). I started doing that as well... There are times that i feel i can eat more than what i have weighed out but I dont. I am also a type 2 diabetic. I retain Water badly. I have been walking 2-3 miles 4 times a week. I have a bad shoulder and have limited movement with it.. On week 4 i had a 5 lb weight GAIN.. i about freaked.. I know it was water.. But it really stirred up a lot of emotions.. I am drinking my Total soy Protein Shake every morning.. and sometimes will drink a Protein shot.. and the rest of the day i drink water (around 3-4 20 ounce cups per day with lemon and lime and stevia in the raw) And have 2 sensible weighed out meals. Now with all that said i also have PCOS.. Poly cystic ovarian syndrome.. Im fixing to turn 42 this month.. Is it normal for weight gains, stalls, Am I doing something wrong.. I am really at my wits end on what I should do to get the weight moving. I had my sleeve done in Mexico.. due to costs and all.. I dont have a nutritionist here.. But talk to several people that have had the surgery as questions arise... Any suggestions would be helpful.. Oh and I still feel hungry.... Is this all normal?? Im just CONFUSED !!!!!!!!

My Dr told me that your body just went through something traumatic & its natural tendency is to hold on to fluids. He told me to just follow the plan & the weight WILL come off. It takes anywhere from 6-8 weeks for your stomach to start healing. I have heard about a 3 week stall. Is there nowhere for you to call for follow-up in Mexico? If so, you might want to do that. Another option is to find a local bariatric Dr that has a nutritionist working with him & see if they will allow you to see him/her for a fee. The hungry thing I'm not sure about as they removed that part of the stomach that produces the hunger hormone. I can honestly tell you, I have had no hunger whatsoever since my surgery 9/12. Could it be "head hunger"?

Most of the times its not.. I know that there are a few times i know it could be head hunger.. The other times my stomach is actually growling.. I could try to contact another gastric dr with a nutritionist.. but my funds are limited.. (hence the reason i went to mexico..lol) but i will try contacting them where i had the surgery.. Thanks for replying.. i really appreciate it!!!

Not sure but I started at the same weight and when I saw the doctor he was glad I was losing weight very slowly. He said you will catch up to the weight lose. Yes everyone has a 3 week stall but this stall for me was losing inches off my waist. At 3 month I stop drinking Protein shakes because I was eating my protien. I also lost my hair for about two months and had to load up on some vits. and Biotin Shampoo. You did not gain it over night so you can't lose it over night. Look into chair exercises, it helps me with my shoulder pains and my diabetes.

Good Luck

Sometimes stomach growling not because of hunger but because of gas their. Also I notice that sometimes my stomach growling and I feel hunger but it is real thirstiness.

What is you food schedule? For me it look like you didn't get enough Protein.

I am eating 5-6 times a day. I have Breakfast around either 8 or 9 in 2.5 hours sometimes I feel hungry and I enjoy my Protein ( either yogurt or shake) in another 2.5 - 3 hours I have lunch where I try to put protein first tuna or meat or cheese. and some veggies.

after that in another 3 hours I have snack with cheese or Protein shake or Isopure

in another 3 hours - dinner. and sometimes before bed Isopure if I didn't get all my 60-70g of protein per day.

and in between all that eating I am drinking Water. I feel hungry only when I am delaying my snack.

An btw for the 4th week I only lost 1 lbs. it was one day when I gain 1.5 lbs and it took me 2 days to loose it again.

You're only eating twice a day?

You're only eating twice a day?

Yes.. Basically I get up and drink a Protein shake.. Then around lunch I eat tuna or something like cheese and crackers or Soup.. I sometimes have a snack then supper.. And sometimes a snack in the evening.. The Snacks aren't usually a lot.. And they are like Special K popcorn chips or cheese and mini sausage. I don't always have a snack.. Trying to balance everything out is so hard!!

Sometimes stomach growling not because of hunger but because of gas their. Also I notice that sometimes my stomach growling and I feel hunger but it is real thirstiness.

What is you food schedule? For me it look like you didn't get enough Protein.

I am eating 5-6 times a day. I have Breakfast around either 8 or 9 in 2.5 hours sometimes I feel hungry and I enjoy my Protein ( either yogurt or shake) in another 2.5 - 3 hours I have lunch where I try to put protein first tuna or meat or cheese. and some veggies.

after that in another 3 hours I have snack with cheese or protein shake or Isopure

in another 3 hours - dinner. and sometimes before bed isopure if I didn't get all my 60-70g of protein per day.

and in between all that eating I am drinking Water. I feel hungry only when I am delaying my snack.

An btw for the 4th week I only lost 1 lbs. it was one day when I gain 1.5 lbs and it took me 2 days to loose it again.

I had a 5 lb weight gain after week 4.. And it's finally back down.. When I eat I'm now making sure it weighs 4-5 oz in total. I'm trying to get all my Water and protein in but it gets a little confusing at how much I should have .. Well with the protein any ways

Not sure but I started at the same weight and when I saw the doctor he was glad I was losing weight very slowly. He said you will catch up to the weight lose. Yes everyone has a 3 week stall but this stall for me was losing inches off my waist. At 3 month I stop drinking Protein shakes because I was eating my protien. I also lost my hair for about two months and had to load up on some vits. and Biotin Shampoo. You did not gain it over night so you can't lose it over night. Look into chair exercises' date=' it helps me with my shoulder pains and my diabetes.

Good Luck[/quote']

I also lost in inches .. I will look into the chair exercises.. Can you recommend any sites ? Thanks so much!!

When you say "I lost my hair" - can you clarify? All your hair? Some hair? It's a scary part for me. Surgery date 12/19.

Yes.. Basically I get up and drink a Protein shake.. Then around lunch I eat tuna or something like cheese and crackers or Soup.. I sometimes have a snack then supper.. And sometimes a snack in the evening.. The Snacks aren't usually a lot.. And they are like Special K popcorn chips or cheese and mini sausage. I don't always have a snack.. Trying to balance everything out is so hard!!

I eat about every three hours also, with my two Snacks and three meals. With that being said at this point I eat almost all lean Protein, even snacks. Maybe cut out the popcorn chips, crackers and mini sausages and try Tilapia, salmon, deli meat, lean chili. Some Soups have a lot of salt unless it is home made. Just trying to help, this is what is working for me. If I get hungry I eat lean protein.:)

You say you are weighing your food, but are you logging your calories, Protein and Water intake? These are important numbers to monitor. Also, don't waste your time on the Protein Shots. They aren't doing you any good at all.

I have no idea how many calories you're eating, but 1 Protein shake and 2 small meals doesn't sound like much. You may not be eating enough. This is where logging your food is invaluable. You need to be getting in enough calories, Protein and Water or you will have a hard time losing weight.

I eat about every three hours also' date=' with my two Snacks and three meals. With that being said at this point I eat almost all lean Protein, even Snacks. Maybe cut out the popcorn chips, crackers and mini sausages and try Tilapia, salmon, deli meat, lean chili. Some Soups have a lot of salt unless it is home made. Just trying to help, this is what is working for me. If I get hungry I eat lean Protein.< img src="https://s.bariatricpal.com/uploads/emoticons/default_smile.png" alt=":)" srcset="https://s.bariatricpal.com/uploads/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" width="20" height="20" />[/quote']

Ok thanks!! I see what you mean... Thanks so much!!! I really appreciate it!!!

jodyjo10-My NUT said you should be eating Protein first, then veggies & if you have any room, fruit. Bad carbs are a no-no (crackers, popcorn chips anything like that) Those type of carbs will hinder the weight loss. I am almost 4 weeks postop & I barely can eat a 2.5 oz chicken thigh, or a turkey burger, let alone have any room for veggies but I know that time will come. I get fruit in cuz I use it to mix with my vegetable protein to mask the taste. I stay under 40 g carbs (from the fruit & what is in the veg protein) & about 70 g protein. My stomach makes noises but it is usually right after I eat as it is digesting. I don't know why I don't get hungry but I don't. I wouldn't eat if I didn't have to.

Why don't you join My Fitness Pal with many of us? Do a search on here and you'll find threads with people offering to be friends. Make your diary visible to friends. Then we can all look at your intake and see where it could possibly be tweaked.

I agree with people's answers. It really sounds like you aren't eating enough and may be eating too many carbs.