Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Drinking And Eating

I'm about two weeks post op and sometimes I forget the 30 minute rule for drinking. Am I ruining my tummy? I think I forget because I'm so concerned with getting in enough liquids and enough Protein. On Sunday I was very nauseated and I didn't eat and barely drank and the same thing with Monday and most of Tuesday. I was so weak and worn out. But I got something to take care of my upset stomach/heartburn and now I feel better that way, but I'm still very week. I took a shower this morning and then had to lay down because it wore me out.

I'm sure it's because of those few days where I didn't have anything and I feel like I'm trying to compensate now. I've been averagaing about 40 oz of liquid a day and today I got in about 40 grams of Protein. I know I need more fluids, but sometimes I feel like I cannot possible put anymore in my body.

Wow, sorry. This turned into a long rant that had nothing to do with my previous question. On the occasions I forget the drinking rule and have a few sips with my food am I sabotaging myself?

A few sips aren't going to hurt. I wouldn't make it a habit. I broke the habit by leaving my drink in the fridge until it was time. If we are out somewhere I just don't order a drink. I am 9 months out and sometimes I think it's been long enough and I take a drink and I feel like I'm going to suffocate. I guess I am one of the people who are physically unable to drink and eat together.

Also only being 2 weeks out I would mostly concentrate on Water. Most important. Dehydration is no joke! The Protein will increase a little at a time.

you are doing amazing! each day will get easier. just make sure you are getting your liquids in. you do not want to get dehydrated. hang in there!

A good tip i got from dietician is to have one glass of Water (approx 200ml) 10-15 minutes before each 'meal' and don't stress too much if you don'trememer to drink again half an hour after eating as you won't be thirsty. It does help. I am about 7 weeks post op and eating 6 small (1/2 cup) meals per day. Takes some getting used to that's for sure, but definitely worth it as I have already lost 18kg (just over 40 pounds)

The misconception is that drinking while/directly after eating will stretch your stomach. The reason it's actually recommended is because if you drink soon after eating you are pushing the food out of your stomach faster, meaning you will feel full for shorter period of time. Surgeon said that when you're early out, if you slip up no biggie, it's when you're two years out and realize you can eat a lot more than you should because you're drinking with your meals you should follow the rule. I need Water during my meals, or I'd only be able to eat a bite per meal! You are fine, if you do remember, great, if not nothing will happen! :)

The misconception is that drinking while/directly after eating will stretch your stomach. The reason it's actually recommended is because if you drink soon after eating you are pushing the food out of your stomach faster' date=' meaning you will feel full for shorter period of time. Surgeon said that when you're early out, if you slip up no biggie, it's when you're two years out and realize you can eat a lot more than you should because you're drinking with your meals you should follow the rule. I need Water during my meals, or I'd only be able to eat a bite per meal! You are fine, if you do remember, great, if not nothing will happen! :)[/quote']

The correct answer!!!

Here's a video to help explain it further.

That video was awesome!!! Being 1 week post op that makes a great visual reminder. Thanks for sharing OTR!