Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How To Eat

:help: HI. I was banded on August 1st. I had no restriciton and ate whatever I wanted with no problem. My first fill was on September 14th. It was too tight. I coudn't eat any solids without extreme pain. So I went for partial unfill.

Now I can eat solids but I don't feel like I have any restriction and can eat probably much more than 4 oz. at a time. I have NOT been measuring my food and still have not problem with any foods.

I need help. I don't like to cook. I always order all my meals. I need ideas of what to eat.

Also, how do you measure 2 oz. of Protein. For instance chicken? I can understand 2oz. of a liquid but 2oz. of a solid will leave spaces innetween.

Thank you very much for your help.:help:

Dear KMMWK, You have asked the $64,000 Question about portion sizes and how to recognize. I've attached the comments from the American Diabetes Association on portions and how to estimate. I don't have much restriction and it's a good reminder for me too.

Click here: food & Portion Size - Weight Loss Matters - American Diabetes Association

You mentioned that you ordered your meals in. Good choices are always chicken or beef with no sauces, avoid Pasta meals, get lots of fresh veggies and have salads with meat added, as a few suggestions. A good habit to get into is immediately dividing your meal into two portions and putting one of those away. Make all your food decisions off the 1/2 that is in front of you.

Good luck,

Jo Ann

I've attached the comments from the American Diabetes Association on portions and how to estimate. I don't have much restriction and it's a good reminder for me too.

Click here: food & Portion Size - Weight Loss Matters - American Diabetes Association

Jo Ann

Wow, thanks for the link. What I thought was 4oz. of meat was more like 2oz. I can't eat anything the size of my palm. I can only eat the amount about half the size of my palm, especially meat. I don't have large hands either really.

fay....You might consider getting a little kitchen scale....it will help train you in the portion sizes.

Since you aren't into cooking you might consider using a quality (high Protein, low carb, low calorie) Protein Bar or Protein shake as a meal now and then.

There are great guidance and ideas and products on the website:

www.bariatriceating.com

Go to the section called 'way to eat'.

Not everybody there is lapband (most are rny's) but there a great ideas for all of us.

:help: HI. I was banded on August 1st. I had no restriciton and ate whatever I wanted with no problem.

But your not talking immediately after surgery are you? I am starting total liquids tomorrow...I am not even hungry!!

Now I can eat solids but I don't feel like I have any restriction and can eat probably much more than 4 oz. at a time. I have NOT been measuring my food and still have not problem with any foods. You really need to measure your food. Weren't you scared to eat regular after being banded??? How did you jump right back to regular food?

I need help. I don't like to cook. I always order all my meals. I need ideas of what to eat.

Also, how do you measure 2 oz. of Protein. For instance chicken? I can understand 2oz. of a liquid but 2oz. of a solid will leave spaces innetween.

2 oz of chicken is the palm of your hand (palm only) or a deck of playing cards.

Thank you very much for your help.:help:

Good luck on your journey!

You got excellent tips and advice on what to eat. I want to comment on the statement about how you can eat more than 4 oz at a time...first of all, I know I ate more than that almost the whole first year I was banded; however, this is very dependant upon the level of restriction you have. Just asking around about how much fill people have won't give you the answer, because it is different for each person. Another point to go along with this is that it is important to go beyond the idea that just because you can do something, means you should or will.

Getting to the heart of these matters is the important part of being banded...the band is there like a safety net for you, and it works even better if you work on the behaviors and thoughts as you go, too. Please accept these ideas as kind suggestions, because I have not followed every rule or done everything "right"...but making good decisions a lot of the time eventually ends up with good results!

You got excellent tips and advice on what to eat. I want to comment on the statement about how you can eat more than 4 oz at a time...first of all, I know I ate more than that almost the whole first year I was banded; however, this is very dependant upon the level of restriction you have. Just asking around about how much fill people have won't give you the answer, because it is different for each person. Another point to go along with this is that it is important to go beyond the idea that just because you can do something, means you should or will.

Getting to the heart of these matters is the important part of being banded...the band is there like a safety net for you, and it works even better if you work on the behaviors and thoughts as you go, too. Please accept these ideas as kind suggestions, because I have not followed every rule or done everything "right"...but making good decisions a lot of the time eventually ends up with good results!

Good comments. I wish I had said that! :biggrin1:

:grouphug: for Breakfast i drink 2 cups of sugar free cappachinnos, For lunch i ate 1/2 sandwich, 6 chips, and for dinner i ate 2 hard chicken tacos, and sometimes for a snack at night i eat a cup of ed'y 1/2 the fat silk ice cream and i always drink my Water 2 hrs later, does this sound like a lot ? im not sure what the calories are ? so far ive lost 23 lbs since july 22nd, 2006 :hungry:

I really wouldt stress on measuring.. ur tummy does that for you, id say if your in pain- try mushy foods, mashed potatoes, applesauce, stuff like that. When i have trouble getting things down... crackers are my 100% food staying in the system, dunno why, but crackers and my band are a-ok together :grouphug:

On measuring...for about the first 6 months, I measured and recorded what I was eating, just to learn (used fitday.com). As I slowly increased the restriction, with fills, my stomach did tell me when I had enough. I also had to learn to read the "new" signals.

Virginia, the only adjustment I can suggest is in the morning meal...just because I am not sure how much Protein is in the cappuccino's. Some have a good amount, and some don't. If you add some protein to the morning drink, you are likely to feel full a little longer! :grouphug: