Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Just Chickened Out

I think I grew feathers and a beak because I just called and canceled my appointment with the doctor for tomorrow :( I read a couple horror stories and everything is just so life or death that I can't calm my anxieties enough to go to my appointment. I'm afraid I may be stuck in this fat suit forever :mellow:

Instead of being a chicken, why don't you call the office and reschedule and just go and ask the surgeon questions that you are afraid of. Give it a chance and don't let your anxiety get you down. :)

AWWW, so sorry to hear this!! I had anxiety along with all kinds of emotions...but I went through with it & it was so much easier than I anticipated!! There are few horror stories compared to all the good one....Try to reschedule your appt & go through with it!! You wont regret it!!

Not trying to be mean, but what about the horror stories of people who died from their obesity? Were those not scary enough to chicken you out of being morbidly obese for the rest of your life?

There are risks to everything we do. People die every day. A meteor could randomly fall out of the sky and hit your house while you're sleeping in your bed. Will that keep you from sleeping in your bed at night?

Don't give up!!! Make a list of what's important to you and why you wanted to have the surgery in the first place. Weigh the pros and cons. Take a serious look at where you will be in 5 years without having had the surgery and where you will be if you do have the surgery! IMO, the potential rewards far outweigh the risks.

Good luck with your decision!

Where did you read the horror stories? I'm currently banded and did extensive research before being banded, and am now considering the sleeve and am currently researching it. For every surgery out there, someone has a horror story to go along with it. It's also usually the ones that have problems that are most likely to voice them on the Internet. I take the horror stories with a grain of salt. I've had some complications with my band, but nothing that would qualify as a horror story.

Instead of being a chicken, why don't you call the office and reschedule and just go and ask the surgeon questions that you are afraid of. Give it a chance and don't let your anxiety get you down. :)

And so much, THAT!!! ^^^

Sorry to hear this. I personally was more afraid of going the rest of my life without living than I was of a minuscule chance of not making it through surgery.

Bariatric surgery today is light years ahead of where it was even a few years ago. I too thought that mortality stats, complication stats were very high until i went to my information seminar. My chances of dropping dead were much higher doing nothing that lying on my surgeons operating table. In a very short amount of time I now have lost so much that I no longer would qualify for surgery at my Dr.s office.

I wish you courage to make the changes for a healthier life - surgery or no surgery. I was scared to death, but it is bar none, the best decision i have ever made in my life. Prior to vsg - every day was fear - now those days are getting brighter :)

Getting your stomach ripped out won't kill you, it will make you a badass!

This just might have to go in my sig :)

This just might have to go in my sig :)

Mine, too!! Love this!!!

Hi

When my friend had her sleeve 2 years ago I was to scared to do it.I went to a therapist and started exercising like crazy while on a 1500 cal healthy diet.The first 65 pound I lost at the same rate than my friend that had her surgery (I lost 3.5 pounds every single week) And then I lost it....like always.

I am struggling to lose at the moment but often I think of how different my life could have been now already if I did it then....she's had plastics and looks like a teenager again....lol

Dont just not do the surgery.Start doing something now,anything to lose the weight...time slips away from us so fast!

Did you cancel your surgery appointment or a doctors appointment?

I strongly urge you to call back and reschedule if it is a doctors appointment. You can always change your mind later, or have peace of mind that you followed it to certainty.

Either way, consider keeping up doing everything you would need to do pre-op if you are doing it through your insurance, so once you (if you) decide to do it you will be further ahead than if not.

Even if you do not have the surgery, how about making sure you walk a little everyday, or stop going to fast food (if you go - I did not), have a salad instead of a carb side - control you portions to the point of not being hungry, and learn (and fight with your head) and make do with that...there is no reason if you do not decide to have the surgery that, with effort you cant drop, say 25 lbs in a year - that is a dress size. If you maintain it, more will come off.

You are going to be making compromises, taking risks, feeling bad, and such wether you have the surgery or not...the surgery is a major effort - the lifestlye begins after the pounds stop dropping off...

If you want to message me, or skype, maybe we can go through some of what you read and where, and see what the sources for the information are.

It was hard. I was scared. I put it off for almost 10 years. I actually waited until they found a tumor in my stomach and would have had to have almost 2/3rds of it removed as is before I decided on the sleeve.

You are not chickening out, you are listening to yourself and honestly if you are not ready it is best not to..I wish I had been ready years ago, however....the longer I go in my new body, the more I mourn the missed time doing the things I can do now/again.

PS - this surgery is not new - the procedure is very similar to what would be done for cancer, tumors, some ulcers - physical trauma cases such as shootings, war, accidents.

http://asmbs.org/

I suggest you review this site thoroughly

Edited by Pookeyism

think about it.. if someone has a bad experience with a business, they are more prone to tell 10 people how horrible something was. but when you go to a restaurant and have a good meal, do you tell everyone about it? no. you expected it to be good.

human nature is to b***h, not compliment. for every horror story there are exponentially that many more great experiences.

MY heart feels for you, I do agree with most of the other posts though and think you should go to the appointment and ask about your fears. I also have alot of anxiety and don't have alot of family support, so this web-site is great.