Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Meal Planning For Single Parents With Young Children - Need Suggestions!

(I created a group for single parents and posted this question there also, but thought this would be a good forum to post the question.)

I am a single parent and have a 7 year old daughter. I'm trying to plan ahead (surgery in 3 weeks!!!) to have meals on-hand for my kiddo while I'm doing the pre and post-op diet. I want this to be a new, healthy beginning for both of us because, let's face it, I didn't just make bad food choices for myself and she's developed bad eating habits as well! I have talked openly with her about the surgery and she is all excited and wants to eat healthier too (what can I say, I have a great kid!!!)

Sooo... I'm trying to think of healthy food I can prep in advance and have in the freezer to easily re-heat for her dinners. Does anyone have suggestions or experience doing this? What worked well for your kids and family?

I am a single parent to a six year old daughter and am 8 days post op. I had the same concerns about prep during this phase where I wouldn't be making a meal for both of us. My daughter is a pretty picky eater, so she's limited in what she likes - she loves meat and Pasta. So my sister was here helping out and got a rotisserie chicken we have been able to use for the Protein part of her meal. Other nights we did Pasta (made several servings at once) with a basic Pasta Sauce. I broke up a package of pork chops in single bags so I could cook one at a time and one lasts her for 2-3 meals. I also did a batch of brown rice to go with that. She is most picky about veggies, mostly only eating peas and carrots, so that covered her veggie.

Good luck!

Great ideas!!! I was thinking about cooking chicken tenders ahead of time and freezing in individual baggies. Rotisserie chicken is even better - no cooking involved ;)

p.s. I'm also thinking this is a good time to invest in a toaster oven! Would be perfect to cook her meals up in without heating up the kitchen. Plus she could even help put the food in and set the timer ;)

I hear you! My microwave went out this summer and I decided not to replace because I am redoing my kitchen next spring and I'd like to get a built in one with that. We've been able to make do with the stove so far.

Grilled cheese and Tomato soup! I eat some Tomato Soup and she has both. Yum! That's only one night, but that's been easy for me. I also did another night of Pasta with tomato sop as the sauce, she loved it. Good luck.

Will she eat turkey meatballs? I make a batch and then cool them and freeze them. I can eat them and so can my kids.

I cook up ground turkey or ground beef with just basic seasoning and then I can defrost it for a quick meal. I add taco seasoning and we make nachos out of it for the kids and a "taco" salad for me (minus the chips). Or sometimes I use it for a quick shepherd's pie or spaghetti sauce.

grilled chicken tenders on the george forman are another thing I do that's quick and easy. (I grill fish on it too!)

Good luck!

Grilled cheese and Tomato soup! I eat some Tomato Soup and she has both. Yum! That's only one night' date=' but that's been easy for me. I also did another night of Pasta with tomato sop as the sauce, she loved it. Good luck.[/quote']

She's really not a Soup fan but does like grilled cheese... And quesadillas. Both are pretty quick and easy to make!

Will she eat turkey meatballs? I make a batch and then cool them and freeze them. I can eat them and so can my kids.

I cook up ground turkey or ground beef with just basic seasoning and then I can defrost it for a quick meal. I add taco seasoning and we make nachos out of it for the kids and a "taco" salad for me (minus the chips). Or sometimes I use it for a quick shepherd's pie or spaghetti sauce.

grilled chicken tenders on the george forman are another thing I do that's quick and easy. (I grill fish on it too!)

Good luck!

Yah great ideas!!!! I loooove taco salad. And meatballs - yum!

I am a single mom of a 14 and 11 year old. I made fajitas, tacos, raviolis, cold cut sandwiches, and mac'n cheese. They weren't in the mood for spaghetti and meatballs this past week. I stocked up at Costco--chicken, raviolis, ramen noodles, Pasta Sauce, Mac'n cheese, poptarts, etc. so I didn't have to run out to the grocery store.

I am a single mom of a 14 and 11 year old. I made fajitas' date=' tacos, raviolis, cold cut sandwiches, and mac'n cheese. They weren't in the mood for spaghetti and meatballs this past week. I stocked up at Costco--chicken, raviolis, ramen noodles, Pasta sauce, Mac'n cheese, poptarts, etc. so I didn't have to run out to the grocery store.[/quote']

This is sarcasm right? After this experience you aren't really setting your children up for obesity are you?

Do you have a crock pot? There are many healthy recipes you can make. For example tonight we are having a teriyaki chicken in the crock pot. When the chicken is done I am able to shred some up for me. The rest of the family will have the chicken served over rice with steamed green Beans on the side. I like doing my meat in the crock pot because it comes out moist and very easy to shred. I have also made chicken taco chili, white bean chili, balsamic and paramesan pork loin.

Do you have a crock pot? There are many healthy recipes you can make. For example tonight we are having a teriyaki chicken in the crock pot. When the chicken is done I am able to shred some up for me. The rest of the family will have the chicken served over rice with steamed green Beans on the side. I like doing my meat in the crock pot because it comes out moist and very easy to shred. I have also made chicken taco chili' date=' white bean chili, balsamic and paramesan pork loin.[/quote']

How did you cook the terriyaki chicken? I need pointers on how to use my crockpot!!

This is a great thread!!! I will be done with my last but appointment at the end of this month and hope to be sleeved soon after and have been thinking about this for a while.....got some great ideas thanks!!! Is there any websites anyone can recommend for weekly cooking menu ect I figure I can star freezing little meals for myself and get the kids in on the healthy eating too because undortunatley my 12yearold has mommys bad eating habits

Sorry took so long to get back to you on the recipe for the chicken. You take out the amount of chicken breast you need I used one pound. Place thawed chicken breast in the crock pot. In a small bowl mix 1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce, 1/4 sugar substitute( I used Truvia) 3 Tablespoons of cidar vinager, 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger, 1/4 teaspoon pepper and 3 cloves of garlic minced. Pour over chicken. Cook on low 6 hours. Remove chicken from the pot. It should be fork tender. At this step I removed my portion of the chicken and set it aside. Pour the sauce from the crock pot to a small sauce pan bring it to a boil. In a measuring cup mix a 1/4 cup it Water with 2 tablespoons of corn starch. Pour mixture into sauce. Mix for a few minutes for the sauce to thicken. I served this with brown rice. I put the brown rice on the plate with chicken on top and poured the sauce over the chicken.

Tara