Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am a surgical candidate, still trying to decide on a surgeon and a hospital/program in the NY Metro area.I have Rheumatoid Arthritis and Fibro. I am on heavy duty medication which will need to be stopped before my surgery. I am hoping to have a successful vsg!!!Any experienced people with input would be so welcome. Let's share information and support each other since we have special challenges with our conditions.Best wishes to all!

I also have RA and Fibro. My surgeron wanted me to be off all my RA meds for 2-3 months before surgery. I was hoping my surgery would be this month. I just got approved on Tuesday, and the next available is not till Dec. 17th 2012. I have not had my MTX or Cimizia since August 1st. I am in so much pain. Basically, I have been laying in bed, and I guess I have 2 more months of this.

I also have RA and Fibro. My surgeron wanted me to be off all my RA meds for 2-3 months before surgery. I was hoping my surgery would be this month. I just got approved on Tuesday, and the next available is not till Dec. 17th 2012. I have not had my MTX or Cimizia since August 1st. I am in so much pain. Basically, I have been laying in bed, and I guess I have 2 more months of this.

YOU POOR THING!!!!! I can't imagine needing to be off meds for 2 months. That seems too long... but I'm not on mtx or cimzia. I am taking Humira and sulfasalzine, and tramadol. But I also have to take a thyroid medicine, or I'll get palpitations. Stupid thyroid!

Auto-immune treatment and the disease, complicate everything so much. People who don't have to deal with it can't understand what it is like.

I don't have a date yet for my surgery, but I find myself with a lot of fear over it that I don't quite understand yet. Perhaps the waiting for approval is the time to get our game faces on, huh? I would love for you to keep me in the knowledge of your process, and if you need support - I'm here!

Hope to hear from you again,

lsmargiassi

I have RA and Fibro too and I'm just starting the process. I have my 1st appointment with my surgeon on 10/23/12. I only take Plaquenil at this point and Mobic for the pain. So far my RA is mild, but I'm worried about how it will impact VSG surgery. I would love to know how things go with your journey as well.

I have RA and Fibro too and I'm just starting the process. I have my 1st appointment with my surgeon on 10/23/12. I only take Plaquenil at this point and Mobic for the pain. So far my RA is mild, but I'm worried about how it will impact VSG surgery. I would love to know how things go with your journey as well.

I wonder if you will be able to continue your Mobic. I used to be on Mobic I was taking off due it causing ulcers. I hope you have a great appt tomorrow! Please keep us updated.

YOU POOR THING!!!!! I can't imagine needing to be off meds for 2 months. That seems too long... but I'm not on mtx or cimzia. I am taking Humira and sulfasalzine, and tramadol. But I also have to take a thyroid medicine, or I'll get palpitations. Stupid thyroid!

Auto-immune treatment and the disease, complicate everything so much. People who don't have to deal with it can't understand what it is like.

I don't have a date yet for my surgery, but I find myself with a lot of fear over it that I don't quite understand yet. Perhaps the waiting for approval is the time to get our game faces on, huh? I would love for you to keep me in the knowledge of your process, and if you need support - I'm here!

Hope to hear from you again,

lsmargiassi

I know all surgerons are different. I have seen where they only had to be off their drugs for 2 weeks. But the way my surgeron told me was, "it is better to be in horrible pain from RA and Lupus without drugs, then being in pain and dying from a leak" I feel lazy and immobile. I do nothing all day long. I take my kids to school, and come home and take a pain pill. Try to do some type of light cleaning and then I sleep till it is time to get them off the bus. I have a wonderful husband that does everything for me. But I feel so bad for him cause he works so hard. I have not lost any weight, and have gained 3 pounds since starting this Journey. But I get no exersice. I am ready for my surgery and for a new life. And praying for pain free joints!

I really feel for you:( I have flare ups but the pain isn't constant. Hopefully you will have your surgery soon and can get back on the meds.

I saw the surgeon for the first time and he didn't say anything about stopping the plaquenil or the mobic. I have to do a 3 month diet so he may take me off of it at my next appointment. I'm going to make a point to ask him next month. I was so nervous I forgot half of my questions by the time I saw him. But the patient advocate and the nutritionist answered a lot of my questions prior to that. I guess I'll find out soon enough.

Well I got some interesting information at two appointments I've been to. At Cornell Weill, the surgeon I met with was Gregory Dakin. He said because of my RA the only surgery I would be a candidate for is VSG. By-pass can be in complete conflict with the absorption of oral medications you have to take with RA and you have complications from By-pass surgery or BPD. So, that was something I'd not heard thus far. However, he said the VSG is not contraindicated in any way with RA.

Just a side comment: Mobic is kind of a crappy medicine... if you can get on Sulfasalazine, it is much more effective. Ask your Dr about it as an option for you.... well, you don't have to, but I took mobic and was switched to sulfasalazine and it made a huge difference for me. But there could certainly be reasons your Dr has you on it...

I'll keep you updated as I go along! Good luck to you, too!

Well I got some interesting information at two appointments I've been to. At Cornell Weill, the surgeon I met with was Gregory Dakin. He said because of my RA the only surgery I would be a candidate for is VSG. By-pass can be in complete conflict with the absorption of oral medications you have to take with RA and you have complications from By-pass surgery or BPD. So, that was something I'd not heard thus far. However, he said the VSG is not contraindicated in any way with RA.

Just a side comment: Mobic is kind of a crappy medicine... if you can get on Sulfasalazine, it is much more effective. Ask your Dr about it as an option for you.... well, you don't have to, but I took mobic and was switched to sulfasalazine and it made a huge difference for me. But there could certainly be reasons your Dr has you on it...

I'll keep you updated as I go along! Good luck to you, too!

My surgeon said the same thing - bypass or lap band are not options for RA. He said tha I would not be able to take NSAIDs or Prednisone with those procedures (ever). This is fine with me as I really want VGS anyway and this isn't a problem with RA.

Yeah, I don't really love Mobic. I was having a lot of stomach pain with it (possible ulcer) and my general doctor thinks it was the cause. I avoid taking it regularly unless the pain is really bad. Unfortunately, my Rheumatologist is extremely hard to get into see. So I haven't seen her in almost 6 months. I like her a lot, but I think it's time to find a more accessable doctor. If I have to reschedule an appointment due to work, etc. it takes 2-3 months to get a new appointment.

My dr. said I would be dead in less than 5 years if I had the bypass due to RA and the meds.

My surgeon said the same thing - bypass or lap band are not options for RA. He said tha I would not be able to take NSAIDs or Prednisone with those procedures (ever). This is fine with me as I really want VGS anyway and this isn't a problem with RA.

Yeah, I don't really love Mobic. I was having a lot of stomach pain with it (possible ulcer) and my general doctor thinks it was the cause. I avoid taking it regularly unless the pain is really bad. Unfortunately, my Rheumatologist is extremely hard to get into see. So I haven't seen her in almost 6 months. I like her a lot, but I think it's time to find a more accessable doctor. If I have to reschedule an appointment due to work, etc. it takes 2-3 months to get a new appointment.

Mobic caused me to have even more swelling than I'd ever had from RA. It was weird. Have you ever tried Tramadol? It is an opioid pain reliever. The drug I miss taking the most is Celebrex. My God that drug was fabulous. If I get this weight off and my heart is less at risk perhaps my Dr will let me go back on it. I couldn't believe how good I felt when I was taking that for my OA. It's hard having OA and RA... some medicines treat some symptoms, and others have a negative impact on the other disease. It's frustrating sometimes...

My Rheumatologist is Dr Michael Guma, in North Arlington, NJ. He is amazing! But he also has a PA named Hilary Sugar and she is equally amazing. He has her there because she is most like him in terms of how she approaches treatment. I don't know if you're in NJ, though....

I am sending you a well wish for good medicine, a good doctor and wellness!!

I am 23 days away from my surgery. The fear is kicking in. I am so scare over having a leak. I no my body does not heal as well as others. Just scary!

Hello everyone! I had the VSG Dec 13, 2012 and am doing great! I have Fibromyalgia, arthritis, and Hoshimoto's which has attacked my thyroid and now have Hypothyroidism. I have taken all the drugs that have been mentioned already from you all and more. Nothing ever really made me feel remarkeably better so I have chosen to take the holistic and natural path and find that for the most part I feel better. I truly believe that the VSG did most of the work. I have been mostly concerned about whether or not I'm going to gain the weight back since I have so many ailments I'm fighting against. It's been a little over a year and I'm maintaining so far. I just had a TT Jan. 3rd, 8 days ago and am doing great. Am happy to have found a group that I can relate to!

Seems that you all have one or more of the same issues. I don't have any of those, but I do have MS. My right leg has incredible tone which makes it very difficult to walk. I use a cane due to balance issues and falling often. I am terribly lucky to not have pain. I do have restless legs which is under control as long as I take my Mirapex. I refuse to take any of the MS therapies due to the side effects and the fact that they don't make any of the current symptoms go away.I can't wait for my surgery because carrying all this extra weight makes it even more difficult to move a round and it's exhausting. Thanks for this group.

Hi everyone! I feel terrible that I haven't been on in a long while, but you know life just gets in the way when you're doing other things! For me, the waiting has been partially my fault and partially insurance coverage crap. I finally have everything straight with my coverage and I'm ready to try and get this whole thing scheduled and going forward. I have felt trapped and unsupported from the family that is nearby, and that hasn't helped. I'm pretty certain I've gained weight because my eating is just uncontrolled. I feel guilty, which makes me eat more. :( But now that I can actually move forward I just need to find a surgeon that takes medicare. It's amazing how many do not - and I think that's because they don't get paid a lot and they have to be affiliated with a center of excellence according to medicare standards. Oy... so much to deal with!!!