Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Breast Augmentation

I'm in the same situation - 30 pounds left to go. I'm getting breast augmentation in Mexico in February. I won't do a TT in Mexico, but breast augmentation is less risky, so I'm going for it, along with some Lipo. I got a recommendation from a trusted friend and esthetician who works with MANY plastic surgeons. She knew this one had a good reputation.

Newsho I agree. Though I have had tremendous success with both of my Mexican surgeries, I do not openly recommend people just go out of the country because the surgery is more affordable. Please please please do your research.

Not everyone will come out of surgery without complications. I got lucky. I've been blessed.

There is a story where two patients which were sisters went abroad and had breast implants. They both had great success. The sisters then recommended their doctor to their mother who in turn had a Tummy Tuck. She was in her late 50's, not sure if her age had anything to do with it but she later had blood clots, which progressed to necrosis of her skin/tissue. Later, turned gangrilous (if I recall correctly) and after a few calls to the surgeon, he promised to perform further surgery to remove the dead tissue which he did. He flew the patient to Mexico and performed the surgery but he was not fully equipped to handle the complications she experienced during the surgery and the patient passed away.

This was a formal complaint on a website where doctors are reviewed by patients.

So the bad thing here is...if only the patient and her daughters knew that the surgeon was not equipped to handle her complications fully, then they would have most likely used a doctor and facility that could take care of her, then maybe she would be alive today.

Even the best research on a doctor, whether abroad or local ..is not enough. No one can predict their outcome. But what are your chances of survival should you be familiar with your environment and have convenient access to a state of the art hospital or facility that can care for you, should complications arise? Chances are better.

I, too, am looking into surgery, both for a BL/BA and TT. I've had one consultation locally already, have another scheduled for early Dec, and plan to set up one with yet a 3rd doc.

I've also emailed and sent pictures to 2 different doctors in Mexico, discussed options, pricing, etc.

I was super picky about who did my lapband, and I'm being even pickier about PS. Here's why. ;)

I *needed* the lapband because my obesity was killing me. I *want* PS. So even though I wanted the best surgeon I could find for my banding, I feel even more "responsible" for the outcome of my PS. Not sure that makes sense. LOL To put it another way...if something bad had happened during banding, I still knew that it was a necessity to get the banding, otherwise, I'd die prematurely anyway. If something bad happens with PS, then I'll always have the thought that I could have avoided having the surgery in the first place.

Next, with banding, I knew that there would be only a few very small incisions that would easily heal. Once the banding is done, very little can go wrong post-op. But with PS, you have a lot more stitches and wound care. You have drains, incisions can open up, there's more opportunity for infections, recovery time is longer, there's usually more pain. So from a "medical" standpoint, my PS needs to be terrific.

Then, there's the cosmetic aspect to consider. Banding requires a skilled surgeon, but nothing is being re-arranged, moved, recreated, etc. With PS, a surgeon needs to be able to envision how something is going to look...from deflated breasts to perky ones of just the right size. ;) Doing a TT that's tight but not too tight, creating a new belly button, creating the least noticeable incision, etc. Not to make light of being banded, but I think a plastic surgeon has to deal with a LOT more variables for a succesful outcome.

And then, last, I was self-pay for banding and I'm self-pay for PS. Again, I felt that banding was a necessity. But for PS, it's not. If I can't find a terrific surgeon, I don't *have* to have it done...so by golly, I want this to be the absolute best experience possible. I want to feel like I'm pampered and taken care of by the staff and that they value me and the chunk of $$ that I'll be spending. :bananapartyhat:

I've already ruled out the 2 Mexican doctors. Even though I asked specific questions, in most cases, they told me what they wanted to tell me. : The one local PS is not at the top of my list for the same reasons, plus, he does none of his aftercare...his nurses do it. His entire office and the entire consultation felt rushed and like I was 1 of 50 or just another "cog" in the wheel. Again, if I'm paying $10,000+ for surgery, I want to feel that the surgeon is taking his time to talk to me and get to know me. Otherwise, how is he going to know if I want big boobs or small ones? If I'm physically active and still need to be able to do bench presses or run?

So I'm still searching...

Cinward, smart lady you are.

LOL, no, Telly, just a bit paranoid. :) I've looked at way too many "plastic surgery gone bad" photos. I'm realistic enough to know I'll never look perfect...I just want to be closer to normal. But even as I am, I'd rather need the BA/BL and TT and NOT have implants and scars than to have the implants and scars and still have major "issues."

I also worry about the "slippery slope" of PS. So many people start with one thing...and then decide another would look better with ps...and then another. I can envision myself doing that because initially, I wanted the BA/BL. Now I really want the TT at the same time....but then I thought about the saggy skin at the top of my inner thighs (it's gross) and the fat pockets I have on the outer thigh....so now I'm wondering about Lipo on those fat pockets...and at one time, I'd sworn to NEVER do lipo...

LOL, so I need to get the surgery done ONCE and hopefully not need revisions...'cause if I go back, who knows what else I'll want done? :)

Cindy

Cinward, you are soo right. Already I'm looking into breast augmentation b/c my volume is gone. I mean my breasts can only look good with the right bra which worries me.

My sister had her breast reduction and is so in love with the work. She doesn't wear a bra most days (so she says). Those babies just sit tight and look straight at you. Told her to wear a bra or they'll be flying south for the winter, lol.

So yeah, I need to chill after the breast work. I'll be done then, too bad b/c I saw the "Brazillian Butt Lift" and I'm dying for that but no...no..no. No more! Breasts are where I stop!

Thank you Telly for the information. You really inspire me!

I love your journal, keep up the good work!

typically african...my babies hang like sacks...i would love a breast lift but will probably need an implant as well to make them 'perky'... things to look forward to...

Aww ty Le2sha. I love to help where I can. I think I help more by keeping pictures, dates and my crazy shenanigans posted for all to see, lol.

Telly: I checked out your journal. Wow! Your are a worker bee! I understand your need for extra calories with all your exercise, but how do you eat that much with a band?

I've had 1 fill and that was Sept 15th I believe. It has loosened up a bit but I am getting a complete unfill and in the interim, it takes me 1 hour-ish to eat like that.