Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Poll: Time off between surgery and work

How long between surgery and work?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. How long between surgery and work?

Hi! My doctor put me out for at least 4 weeks. I am a RN on an adolescent unit. My job requires alot of lifting, so I am out for at least 4 and possibly 6 weeks-Gigi

So six weeks off due to threat of DVT and heavy lifting wasn't an option, believe me I wasn't complaining after 13 years at long-haul, loved the rest!:clap2:

Today was actually 7 days for me, and I had originally planned to go back tomorrow. I called the office instead and asked for the remainder of the week off and will go back Monday.

Today was the first day I drove myself somewhere - to get my hair colored and conditioned (damned anesthesia!)

I probably could have gone back to work tomorrow, but really didn't feel like pushing it.

Surgery on a Thursday, was able to "work from home" on Monday and returned to my desk on Tuesday (wished I waited one more day)..

If you have a job on your feet, TAKE A WEEK!

I'm having surgery on a Thursday, but returning to work the following Monday.... (I am the HR person and the Payroll person) for my company I am not telling my boss and I am being stingy with my PTO. :biggrin1: Plus the week I come back is a payroll week...... but really its because I am saving up my PTO for vacation! :heh:

If I had just "sick" time to use, I would take the week, but for us its all lumped together.

oh... and I really don't have any lifting.. I could get away with bringing my heating pad into work with me if needed...... (I'd just have to explain THAT one to my boss, cause he is ALWAYS in my office!)

I had surgery on a Friday and was back at work on Monday. Probly should have taken at least 1 more day, but it worked out ok.

I am taking two weeks. Even though I do have a desk job, the doctor does not want me back for two weeks. I dont have use any pto, my company offers short-term disability.

My doctor requires a mandatory one week off of work. Once you see him one week post-op he will then release to go back to work. He also does not allow his pt. to drive that week either.

Chris

Pre-Band

St. Louis

I am awaiting insurance approval and will be having my lap band surgery soon. I am an RN and I was wondering if I should take more time off. Gigi 8 I am wondering if your doctor wrote you a note? If he did then did you receive disability or did you have to exhaust all of your PTO? How was it when you went back? Any issues I should prepare for?

My doctor is approving two weeks off post op. I am planning to take him up on that. I know my co-workers aren't going to want to deal with a really hungry b*tch!

I was just banded on tuesday, and I took just over 3 weeks off, not because I think I'll need it, but because I can. I've got 400 hours of sick time and figured I may as well use a bit of it because it can only be accessed for major illness, surgery, etc.

I'm actually thinking of seeing if I can revise my request and just take the whole month of october off.

I'm a sleep tech and don't do much lifting, but I'm on my feet for the first couple hours of the night till we get all the patients put to bed, and I just don't want to try to get thru a 12 hour shift if I don't have enough energy to do it.

I'm an x-ray tech in an interventional lab, am on my feet AND wearing lead for a good part of the day. Plus lifting patients. I took 2 weeks off and then 2 more weeks of no heavy lifting.

I am a tech at a hospital and I am required to lift patients in bed and up to their feet. I was just wondering how long should I be off. We dont have that many sick days accrued. Has any one taken a short term disability leave. I do not want my co-workers to know.

Caramel :ranger:

I had the surgery Tuesday, I could have went back to work Wednesday without a problem, but I might as well take the time, since I'm getting paid for it. So I'm going back to work after my two week check up.