Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Holy Hell?! Why Does It Cost So Much?!

I'm going to self pay for my surgery (heading to Mexico) and just found out today my insurance wont pay for ANY of my aftercare either (anything bariatric excluded from my policy). I called my local laboratory just to get some idea of what I would be looking at for my followup blood tests.

:o

OMFG!!! Almost A $1000 for only HALF of the tests I've seen people list!!! After scraping and saving just to be able to afford my surgery, I'm just sick with the idea I'll have that to deal with afterward, for the rest of my life!! Not to mention if there are any complications, I'll be in debtors jail for pete's sake!!

Has anyone just done a "bare minimum" of blood tests?? If so, what did you have checked?? I'm reeling from this newfound information and severely doubting if I should have the surgery at all!!

Please, can anyone offer advice on this? :(

Talk to your doctor most of the tests are just standard blood tests that if your doctor says are necessary for any reason not bariatric they can do it. Blood count Vitamin level liver function etc are usually performed once a year anyway for a physical. They can't say anything about it.

How you get billed for blood work depends on what your physician writes for the reason. Work with your physician on this:). Good luck .

Talk to your PCP and ask if they can help you after surgery. The blood work up is very basic as mentioned before. The cost comes if there's a complication that needs treatment like a leak i would imagine. Very few people have leaks though, but when it happens, it happens. :)

Im also going to Mexico to have surgery, and im right in the middle of choosing a PCP. I am choosing a PCP that I like, AND that is supportive of my decision to get sleeved. Its much easier if your doc supports you in your choice to get WLS. They're much more likely to work with you regarding blood tests/labs, follow up etc....If i had a PCP that refused to order a blood test because I had surgery, I'd say, "screw you...time to get a new doc!" :-)

Good luck!

I'm in the same boat ... insurance won't cover anything bariatric related. Can't even go see a nutritionist/dietician and have it covered. But, like mentioned above, my Dr orders the tests anyway as they are needed for general physicals. Haven't had to pay out of pocket for one.

Just talk to your Dr and I'm sure everything will be fine.

If your Dr is obstinate about it, then it is time to find a new Dr.

Thanks for commenting everyone, I hope I'm stroking out for no reason! My PCP did assure me he would do my follow up,it's just that I called my insurance today (I'm trying put together ALL the pieces for my surgery) to see if they would pay for the visits after surgery, thinking my tests would be bariatric specific, i.e. not the norm...and of course I was told NO!! Errrrg! Hearing that they are part of a normal physical makes me feel so much better and more hopeful that they will be covered.....stroke averted!! LOL

My doctor isn't doing any blood work after the surgery. I would just go to my pcp and have have a physical with blood work. I think if it is your annual physical or if they are looking for something else if will be covered. Does your PCP know you are doing? if he does and will keep it out of your paperwork maybe you can discuss it while you are being seen for a covered event, ie- cold, infections, etc....

Also, check at other facilities and see what they are charging. These costs can vary wildly...and there is nothig that says you cant go "here" to get one work up because it is cheaper and "there" for the other...try hospitals, non-profits, AND look into your county and state facilities. Women's clinics will sometimes run some of these tests - or at least I recall a post a long time ago that a young lady called into a clinic and explained her needs and they did do the tests for her.

Welcome to my hell world! My situation is different in that I don't have insurance at all! I went to Mexico for surgery and no matter where I go I will have to pay for my blood work. But luckily, my gynecologist supported my decision for WLS, so she will do the blood work no problem. Sad part is I'll have to pay out of pocket.

Small price to pay for weight loss, in my opinion. ;)

My surgeon hasn't done any blood work at all. I've had 3 post-op visits in 3 1/2 months and he basically said "you're doing great - don't stop". See ya in two months. The odds that you are going to have a problem when post-op directly attributable to the sleeve I believe are very small. Good luck and try not to worry about possibilities. I try to focus on today's issues and deal with the problems then when they occur. We have enough to deal with every day, don't we? PS: I'm a self-pay too and the Dr. took a routine sample for pathology during surgery which ended up costing me $1400. Surprise! All good since then.