Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Suggestion-Stop The Obsessing. Rules Are Meant To Be Broken

Yay, you are right behind me!!! I had surgery in June 2010! I agree with you 100%, set up our enviroment for success! It is easier since we have an empty nest and my husband had a 95% blockage....and had to have a stent put in, this was about 14 months before my surgery, so our life changed a lot at that time! chips, Cookies all those things with partially hydrogenated oils in them....gone! If it's not here, we can't eat it, right??!!! Like you, I can go to Braum's (love them!) and have a jr. dip on a cone and I'm fine, I probably do this twice a month. It does not affect me, I just adjust. Also like you, I find I can gain quickly, but I think that's always been the case, I just did NOT pay attention to a few pounds pre op!!! Not like I should have been doing. Anyway, over Christmas, and this was a first....I gained six lbs. I watched it go up, because I weigh daily, but usually I'll go up a lb or two and then the next day or day ofter, I'm back down. I go between 145 and 147 and that is normal for me. I got up to 150 and knew I needed to cut my calories back to 1100 - 1200 and up my Protein. Less than a month later I was back down and stayed down to my normal range. Again, like you, I must be, I AM diligent about the amount I eat. I eat normally and I do not ever feel deprived, but I am aware of every single thing I put in my mouth. Thanks for posting, I'm really excited when I run across someone who is over 2 years out!! Congratulations!!!

I am there with you! This Christmas I gained about 5 lbs all because of crappy eating! I got home (I was at families for almost a week!), started eating clean again, and lost it within about 3 weeks.

I love to hear when other people feel like they eat normally, although normal now is not the same as normal before (I eat about the same amount of ice cream as you!).

I know that you are very diligent about tracking, me, not so much. But that doesn't mean I do not watch everything I eat. I have young children (3 and 6), but they are used to what is allowed in the house. They have some Snacks, but it is all stuff that I do not even like, so I don't touch it. Other than that, they eat similar to me, so they are learning good eating habits too! Even my husband lost weight (really didn't need too) after I had surgery because I just said it is not allowed in the house! Might sound mean, but no one benefits from junk in the house.

I weigh daily to. It keeps me accountable. It fluctuates a bit from day to day, especially depending on hormones (things I would have never paid attention to before, hell, I would never even step on the scale before!). For me, it is just a new way of life, one that I can live with for the rest of my life and be happy!

I am there with you! This Christmas I gained about 5 lbs all because of crappy eating! I got home (I was at families for almost a week!), started eating clean again, and lost it within about 3 weeks.

I love to hear when other people feel like they eat normally, although normal now is not the same as normal before (I eat about the same amount of ice cream as you!).

I know that you are very diligent about tracking, me, not so much. But that doesn't mean I do not watch everything I eat. I have young children (3 and 6), but they are used to what is allowed in the house. They have some Snacks, but it is all stuff that I do not even like, so I don't touch it. Other than that, they eat similar to me, so they are learning good eating habits too! Even my husband lost weight (really didn't need too) after I had surgery because I just said it is not allowed in the house! Might sound mean, but no one benefits from junk in the house.

I weigh daily to. It keeps me accountable. It fluctuates a bit from day to day, especially depending on hormones (things I would have never paid attention to before, hell, I would never even step on the scale before!). For me, it is just a new way of life, one that I can live with for the rest of my life and be happy!

It's our new normal, that's what I call it. It is a way of life that I can live with and be happy. You're right about the daily weigh in....keeps me on top of things and accountable. I don't like the UNKNOWN, I don't like surprises. Going up and down one, two, three lbs....that is what I do. Anything above 3 lbs that stays around for a couple of days, I address it and make adjustments for a couple of days. It's not a big deal. I love my sleeve, I love shopping and I don't even mind having my picture taken, even if I'm in the front row!! LoL

Wow at 2 weeks all that I'm 3weeks out & my doc said I can start eating masts now just chew chew chew & I kinda scared with that yeah I eat a couple sunflower seeds now & then but I take my time maybe when I get further out I will try other things like chips but not now

Wow at 2 weeks all that I'm 3weeks out & my doc said I can start eating masts now just chew chew chew & I kinda scared with that yeah I eat a couple sunflower seeds now & then but I take my time maybe when I get further out I will try other things like chips but not now

Yeah, I'm almost 4 weeks. There is no space for Snacks while we're trying to meet our requirements. A change in my thought process and eliminating "can'ts" helps SO much.....even though, at this point I really DON'T, it helps to know I CAN!

Just a follow up, as I was challenged to post my results when I wasn't a newbie anymore. All rocking!!!!

Just a follow up, as I was challenged to post my results when I wasn't a newbie anymore. All rocking!!!!

So glad to hear it - and thanks for the update!

@@NJSleeveboy - Ha, is that your way of saying "I told you so!"? Kidding. It made for very interesting reading, thanks for bringing it back up to the top.

NJSleeveboy, I like your style. I can relate 100%. I do not obsess over anything, I am having that glass of wine. I am loving life. Wooooohoooooooooooooo!

I am glad that this thread was revived. I have long believed that my past diet failures happened because I did not view the diet as a new way of life, but rather, as a temporary remedy. This led me to really question my nutritionist's and surgeon's post op diet advice. It seemed too much like my former diets. In the past I could do diets, I just couldn't do maintenance. But even though I was unsure if this would really work, I am following their program as best I can. I figured, they must know something I don't.

But in the back of my mind, I still believe that changing your eating patterns has to be done in a sustainable manner. And I often question if a 1000 to 1200 cal diet is actually healthy for the long term. I know it wouldn't be if we were not taking Vitamin supplements. Reading the debate contained in this thread has given me much to think about. I really want to be successful for the long term, so reading what works for others is very instructive.

I decided early on that the 1200+ per day wasn't going to work with me and that i wasn't interested in a quick loss that wasn't sustainable. So, that if I was in it and committed for the long run, i was happy to slow down the pace. My nut agreed, although explained that it's best to lose as much as you can because your body does adapt.. But, I wouldn't change a thing. I ear super healthily. watch my Protein. limit just plain bread and opt for other things. Rarely eat Pasta or the foods that just make you hungry 2 hours later. That said, I eat pizza (a slice or two for a meal), a great sandwich now and then and plenty of cottage cheese and greek yogurt and beef Jerky.. chicken, etc. The early instructions helped break the carb habit, although I don't watch my carbs other than being smart. I am now going to be going on year 3 and really feel like i can keep this up for the rest of my life. I just make smarter choices and never ever neglect anything i want. I'll have a full sushi roll with white rice even but then mix in sashimi.. I'll avoid the fried chinese items, but will add a piece or two to my chicken and broccoli. I eat baked chips, but eat some when I crave. I no longer track my calories in an app, but do keep them in my head. If i drink 600 calories in alcohol, i make sure , other than the planned munchies, that I eat mostly Protein or less calories that day (or take a long walk after my workout).. I absolutely get full MUCH faster still and that's the key. It's just an amazing tool and so many of the veterans used that word and now I get it.. Nothing comes easy, but this def makes it way easier and cannot be happier.

• @*Lexie* lol. it kind of is, but truly mostly an inspiration and I agree with the dissenters also early on. Everyone needs to know themselves. I was certain that licking a dorrito for me was insane and I could have 6. I KNEW i would do what it took and wanted to be able to do this forever. I had fans and dissenters and all had good points. Those who feel I do and can gain from it and know you will hit your goal, then bravo. Those who want an easy out and not follow the rules because I wrote this, will regret it. We're all different. As an aside, going from XXL to Medium shirts remains surreal!

• @*Lexie* lol. it kind of is, but truly mostly an inspiration and I agree with the dissenters also early on. Everyone needs to know themselves. I was certain that licking a dorrito for me was insane and I could have 6. I KNEW i would do what it took and wanted to be able to do this forever. I had fans and dissenters and all had good points. Those who feel I do and can gain from it and know you will hit your goal, then bravo. Those who want an easy out and not follow the rules because I wrote this, will regret it. We're all different. As an aside, going from XXL to Medium shirts remains surreal!

When I like a post like yours, I know there will be a lot of dissenters, so I have learned to go straight to posting because I want to let you know I totally agree with you. I am happiest to see my 6'2" 320 lb. husband go to 220, from 3X to XL. He loves smoked salmon and beef Jerky (jerky was his dinner last night). If we never lose another pound this ride has been incredible.

When I like a post like yours, I know there will be a lot of dissenters, so I have learned to go straight to posting because I want to let you know I totally agree with you. I am happiest to see my 6'2" 320 lb. husband go to 220, from 3X to XL. He loves smoked salmon and beef Jerky (jerky was his dinner last night). If we never lose another pound this ride has been incredible.

@LindafromFlorida Wow, so you both did this together?? Not to shabby urself!!! Yes, that's an amazing move.. 220 on his frame is great shape and other than the sodium (but my new very low blood pressure allows me to eat it now), Jerky is an awesome snack or meal replacement!!!!!!!

@LindafromFlorida Wow, so you both did this together?? Not to shabby urself!!! Yes, that's an amazing move.. 220 on his frame is great shape and other than the sodium (but my new very low blood pressure allows me to eat it now), Jerky is an awesome snack or meal replacement!!!!!!!

Yes, the journey for 15 years (WL seminars) was to find help for his lifetime of obesity. Diabetes 30+ years, 3 HBP meds, sleep apnea, toe amputation, heart stent, and calling rescue in the middle of the night was taking its toll. He was so afraid he would die in surgery, or not heal. Once I was diagnosed with asthma, diabetes and was on 2 HBP meds, (and depression med sent my weight from 200 to 230) I knew I had to do something. I led his terrified self into surgery lol! We are now 67 and 68. We have done nothing for 10 years. Since May, we drove to KS to visit my 90 year old Uncle, went to a family reunion in WV, took a 7 day cruise, and walked, 7 days boating and fishing in Pensacola, and "danced" New Orleans for 7 days. This is why I don't want to read the negatives of what people are doing. Do what works for you! Best wishes! Good post!