Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question Why? Two Weeks Of Liquid Diet

I've searched and can't find my answer so I'm asking WHY? Why do the doctors require two weeks of nothing but fluids? Is this to look good for the weight loss after surgery?

I'm in the possible revision boat right now...questioning everything and wondering if I just tried harder if this band would work!!! Loss of money, time at work, pain, starting all over..just makes me very sad. Banded in 2007..lost 75 lbs..needed to lose 120..gained 20lbs back since knee surgery and a problem with the band?...at least I'm having tests to see if the band is a failure or it's me. :(

The reason they have people do the pre op liquid diet is to reduce the size of the liver. If your liver is too large when they get inside with the camera to check out the situation, it could lead to them having to do a traditional full open surgery rather than a laproscopic procedure.

I was told the same thing, to shrink the liver... My doctor requires a 3 week pre-op diet consisting of 3 high Protein low fat/low carb shakes a day and one low fat meal a day. So I guess it depends on the surgeon.

Same as above. It is to shrink your liver. When they go into do the surgery, the liver is in the way, and overweight people tend to have larger livers. When you go a very restrictive liquid diet, it shrinks the liver. It reduces the risks and complications of surgery (just google "liquid diet to shrink liver). So as difficult as it is, know that you are doing it for the safety of yourself. It has nothing to do with losing weight or looking good before/after surgery...that is just usually an added benefit to the liquid diet. The program I went through, the higher your BMI, the longer your liquid diet. Some people have had to go on as long as 4 weeks. Best of luck, you can do it!

The liquid diet annoyance is your investment in your future you. The hassle now will turn to happiness later.

It was a philosophical reversal for me. For many years I thoughtlessly piled up excess and foolish practice to be paid for by my future self. It stopped at my pre-surgery diet and the process was reversed. Now my diet and exercise ads to the welfare of the older me.

Yep, as stated, shrink the liver AND keep the colon from being packed up post-op. A good number of patients colon sort of stall from anesthesia and surgical trauma and getting constipated is never pleasant, even less so when hurting post-op. Having to push hard to go post-op is a real devil :(

I didn't have a preop liquid diet I was told to try and lose weight and not to gain any... lost 5-10 pounds pre-op. Post-op so stomach can heal but then some doctors have ppl on mushies two days after being sleeved

Yep' date=' as stated, shrink the liver AND keep the colon from being packed up post-op. A good number of patients colon sort of stall from anesthesia and surgical trauma and getting constipated is never pleasant, even less so when hurting post-op. Having to push hard to go post-op is a real devil :([/quote']

Absolutely true! I'm not yet one week post-op and having your digestive track as empty as possible is the way to go. Being constipated would add more discomfort after surgery. The gas pain alone from the air thats pumped into the abdomen is bad enough!

I am 5 days out before my surgery and 5 days into preop diet and i have such bad gas and running to the bath room every half hour....I have never pooped so much in my life....I can tell you I will have a clean colon thats for sure, hopefully my liver will be small enough too....

my preop diet is for 10 days and specifically says on the paper work (not to lose weight but to shrink your liver) mine isnt that bad either. im aloud one Protein yogurt, veggie and 2oz of meat (chicken or turkey) a day. the rest is Protein Shakes, Water and crystal light etc. every surgeon and center is different. :) good luck in your deicison!!!! but hey congrats on your weight loss so far!!! 75 pounds is ALOT!!!!!

The OP has a question for which I have yet to find a logical answer. The "liver shrinking" effect (for which there does seem to be some debate) for those docs who need that extra help, requires carb restriction but one doesn't need to do liquids for that; many docs who do these pre-op diets simply require a couple weeks of low carb diet - lean meats and veg primarily and sometimes a Protein Shake or two to get the patient used to them. Some docs don't do any pre-op diet other than the usual day or so pre-surgical liquid diet. The colon doesn't need two weeks to get cleared out, so that doesn't answer the question, either. The biggest negative that I can see for them is that along with the weeks of post-op liquids that some docs do, the stomach is left without any effective exercise (the stomach is a muscular organ,) for up to a couple of months on some plans, which can make the progression back to solid foods more difficult than it otherwise would be.

I start my liquid diet tomorrow. I am so dang stressed out about it. I was on the lap band "wagon" for a long time and I was about to get it, but changed my mind and decided on teh sleeve. I had to switch docs since my doc was only doing lap bands. The lap band doc said no liquid diet, that the liver is not an issue (for everyone, not just me) and that the liquid diet makes you more weak, run down, and unhappy pre surgery - and he would rather have you at your strongest going into surgery.

Then I switched docs going for the sleeve instead - and I have a 2 week liquid diet to shrink the liver. This doc is way more old school than the lap band doc, so I think that's why.

My friend is going for a sleeve, her doc requires 2 week liquids but you can have a small dinner at night.

I'm annoyed too because my doc made me pay $250 for my 2 week liquid diet. When I got home and googled what he gave me, (42 packets of shakes) I could have bought the same exact thing for about $70. Kinda makes me feel like this whole darn thing is a scam, I don't like it at all :(

I start my liquid diet tomorrow. I am so dang stressed out about it. I was on the lap band "wagon" for a long time and I was about to get it' date=' but changed my mind and decided on teh sleeve. I had to switch docs since my doc was only doing lap bands. The lap band doc said no liquid diet, that the liver is not an issue (for everyone, not just me) and that the liquid diet makes you more weak, run down, and unhappy pre surgery - and he would rather have you at your strongest going into surgery.

Then I switched docs going for the sleeve instead - and I have a 2 week liquid diet to shrink the liver. This doc is way more old school than the lap band doc, so I think that's why.

My friend is going for a sleeve, her doc requires 2 week liquids but you can have a small dinner at night.

I'm annoyed too because my doc made me pay 250 for my 2 week liquid diet. When I got home and googled what he gave me, (42 packets of shakes) I could have bought the same exact thing for about 70. Kinda makes me feel like this whole darn thing is a scam, I don't like it at all :([/quote']

Oh wow!!! I am on day 2 of liquid diet my surgeon requires 10 days but I am allowed shakes and meat yogurt eggs veggies once a day. I know its hard the headaches make it challenging. I try to think of being opened up and how scary it is. I just know it will all be worth it in the end :)

Sent from my Samsung Admire using VST

Oh yeah ask the doc for a refund that is ridiculous "!!!! 250 is ALOT of money! !! My shakes are 6.00 (Atkins) for a pack if 4. U can also get Protein powder for 19.88 at Walmart. my surgeons office gave me a great list to choose from!!

Oh yeah ask the doc for a refund that is ridiculous "!!!! 250 is ALOT of money! !! My shakes are 6.00 (Atkins) for a pack if 4. U can also get Protein powder for 19.88 at Walmart. my surgeons office gave me a great list to choose from!!

I did - i sent the bariatric advisor a link to where I could buy it online for $70 with free shipping, a reputable site too. I said I'd bring the liquid diet stuff back today, and have this expressed to me and save myself $150 at least. She said there no refunds, the liquid diet must be bought from them it is non negociable and that apparently I agreed to that, when I signed my credit card receipt because it said no refunds. I told her it is a huge scam, and it makes me feel like this surgery is a huge scam - and I've lost a lot of confidence in my doctor because of it.