Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Progress So Far (9-10 Weeks) & Dating Advice?

So I have been trying to hold off from posting progress pictures because I wanted there to be a noticeable difference when I finally did post. I am down just under 50 pounds (-48.2 today)

Pre-op Weight: 325.0

Day of Surgery: 318.0

Today: 276.8

I apologize for poor quality pictures - all I have is my cell phone. I will be trying to take clearer pictures soon.

I also have ventured into the dating world! I made a profile on a dating website and have gotten some responses. I haven't gone on any dates yet, but the guy I am interested in asked me to grab something to eat sometime soon (I'm not sure if it's a date really). I told him about my VSG today and he seemed to take it in stride. I had told him that I was working on losing weight and stuff before, but I wasn't sure how the response to the procedure would be because people are so hot/cold.

This brings me to my questions about dating. I have not dated a lot as an adult and I always worry about that awkward silence that happens sometimes. Do you guys have any tips for avoiding this? I am kind of an anxious person and this tends to amplify my awkwardness. I'd really love to have a great time when we go out and not worry so much. I may have to get one of my friends to help me pick out an outfit and stuff. Any general tips?

Thanks!

post-34769-13813660313201_thumb.jpg

post-34769-13813660313602_thumb.jpg

You can see a difference :) and sorry I have no dating advice lol

Looking great!! Wish I had some info on dating but Im clueless. I hope you meet someone wonderful though :)

You look great! And dont think of them as awkward silences but more like pauses in conversation. Take that time to think of more things to ask or maybe you won't even have them. When I first started dating my husband we had AlOT of pauses in conversation! He is VERY quiet when getting to know some one. So I just kinda would bring up stuff about myself and that would initiate more conversation and then I grew comfortable with the pauses.... Sorry ramble! But you can sooo see the difference in your photos and you look great! Good luck on your date and dating!

Sent from my iPhone using VST

You look AMAZING!!!!!!! I don't really have advice either. I attract creepers :(

You look great!!!!

Don't be afraid of pauses. Seriously. Just breathe thru the silence and be ok w yourself. No need to babble on just for the sake of covering up the silences. Oftentimes you hear people say that 'i really like that person bcs the silences were not uncomfortable.'

Good luck & report back!! :-)

Looking Good! and no dating expert here...you don't want my advise, I assure you!

I think this is the first time I've seen a picture of you. You're beautiful and you're looking great. I've dated a lot, but I still haven't figured out how to cover up the silences. Good Luck!

Well... I've been with my wife since I was 20 (13 years)... so uh... not much dating experience here but I will say just be yourself and discuss your general likes and dislikes. Find out about your dates likes and dislikes, and find out about his family history and friends. There's a lot of wierdo's out there.... LOL :)

As far as your pics... I must say... you were very pretty before the surgery... and even now... I don't think dating is going to be problem at all for you. In fact... I think you're going to spend more time have to find out which of the guys are creeps and which ones are gentlemens because you're going to be getting hit on a lot. Good luck to you. You look great. You've done great thus far.

Just go with the flow on your date, try not to worry about something that hasn't happened yet :-). Ask home questions about him, that will lead to other topics and you will get to know him better. Good luck and have a blast :-)

Congratulations on your success! I met my current BF on a dating site. It took a while for me to even join because I thought there would be nothing but crazy people and liars on there. And I had been single for 3 years and very discouraged. As my friends told me, you can't have any expectations when meeting these people. Just try to keep it light and have fun! Also, most people don't want to meet on an official date at first, it would be too awkward. Just something casual to break the ice and to see if you are compatible, My BF and I met at Potbelly. We were supposed to meet for smoothies, but we were both hungry so we ended up getting sandwiches. I was prepared to pay for myself, but he paid for me. Our first meeting ended up being 5 hours and the rest is history <3

Good luck and keep us posted!

I also wanted to add that I didn't tell my BF upfront about my surgery. He noticed that I barely ate that day, I just told him I'm a small eater. It wasn't until we got closer that I told him I had surgery. I say do what you feel is comfortable.

Wow big difference. Time for new pants!!!

#1). You look great! I also love that little pony, cute!

#2) don't worry about the pauses, they're only natural. You probably don't feel awkward about pauses in conversations with your friends, it should be no different on a date. I would recommend against trying to 'fill the silence' with rambling. Also, ask a lot of questions to show interest in your date's life. Talking about yourself non-stop gets old. I like when a date asks me things about myself. Have you already established some things you have in common via email? Talk about those common interests.

Overall, just stay calm, breathe and be confident!

I'm in a relationship now, but sometimes miss dating and the single life :)