Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New Here, Sleeved 9/18, My Story.....sort Of

Hello fellow sleevers or potential sleevers, I am new here, and this is my story ....sort of....

The decission to have Weight Loss Surgery was not a easy one, but it was a logical decission. I am a 33 yo Male, 5ft11in 302 pounds.

I have been battling with weight loss for many years, I have tried all diets and spent thousands and thousands of dollars on them, Nutrisystem x3 times, Weight Watchers, Slim Fast, Herbal Life, Nutripia Fresh food Delivery, GNC Total Lean.

I have lost weight on all those diets, but nothing significant. I suffer from bulging disks in my back and have had 2 arthoscopic right knee surgeries which prevent me from excercising.

My family has a history of Obesity, Cardiac, Hight Blood Pressure, Diabetes, High Cholestorol. I see myself gaining weight, and slowing down, I am tired, and my whole body is in pain, all the time.

I wasnt able to do things I wanted to do, because my body just wouldnt do it, The attempt at just normal walks, i would be in pain.

So I was discussing the options with my boyfriend, he mentioned to me that a radio DJ from local radio station Z100 had weight loss surgery, and I looked him up, at this point, I never heard of the Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy, I only knew of the Lap Band, and the Bypass, which both, I was not happy about, I heard about huge failures from the Lap Band, and I didnt like the idea of re routing my intestines, let alone did I ever think i was a candidate for weight loss surgery either.

So I decided to google the radio DJ, and looked up where he had the surgery, I landed on the website of New York Bariatric Group, after browsing their website, and learning about different types of surgeries, I filled out the quick contact form to make an appointment for a consulation, they promptly called me back the next day and I made an appointment for March 14, 2012.

March 14, 2012, I had an appointment with Dr. Spencer Holover, From NY Bariatric Group, for initial consultation, he explained every surgery in detail and told me, I didnt have to make a decission on the actual procedure I wanted, until my last appointment, when it is time to make the surgery date. Which i was relieved about, because I had my own research to do (which I highly recommend).

I left the office, feeling very informed, and not pressured into making a rapid huge decission, The office staff was extremely welcoming, and pleasant to deal with, they handed me a folder with information in it, and told me, all I had to do, was fill out the information in the folder, and they would handle everything on my behalf, and they did.

During the 6 months required by my insurance, I did my own research, which consisted of a lot of self made videos from people who actually had the Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy, Bypass, and Lap Band, and I started leaning towards the Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy, it seemd the most successful, with minimal complications, and I liked the fact of still keeping my anatomy, just less of it. Up until the 5 month, I stll have never made the decission, I tossed the idea around with the psychologist, until I sat down and said, it was the Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy I was going to have.

My Surgeon required the following:

• Cardiac Clearance
  • Pulmonary Clearance
  • Mental Health
  • Dietary Evaluation
  • Endoscop
  • Endocrine Consult
  • PCP Surgical Clearance
  • Stress Test
  • Gastric Emptying Study

My insurance (GHI) required the following:

• 6 Month Weight Loss Program

In the time during the 6 Month Weight Loss Program, I made all the appointments for the Surgeon requirments. It is very important, that you DO NOT miss a weigh in with the surgeon, the insurance company will make you start all over again.

My surgery date was 9/18/2012, at Mercy Medical Center in Rockville Center, NY.

Since all doctors and nutritionists are different, and therefore so are there guidelines. These are the guidelines that I followed according to my doctors' advice.

The reason for the pre-op diet is simple - obese people tend to have a condition called fatty infiltration of the liver. The liver sits right in the way of your surgeon and they have to be able to lift it and get it out of the way while they work.

• Caffeine, carbonated drinks of any kind and alcohol are now off the menu at this point. Carbonated drinks are gone forever.

• 24 hours before surgery - Clear liquid diet. Water, chicken broth, sugar-free Jello, sugar free popsicles. Nothing after midnight on the day before surgery.
  • Surgery - In the hospital on tue morning and surgery around 8am.
  • Next day - They came with Ice Water and looked like mini shot glasses, then they came with a tray of chicken broth, tea, diet cranberry juice, they said if I can tolerate this, then they would come with a tray of pureed food.( I drank the cranberry juice and chicken broth)They came with the following:Pureed food - they came with a tray of tuna fish, creamy Tomato Soup, diet cranbery juice, tea, low fat milk, Pro-Stat Proetin drink/mixI ate some tuna, drank some cranberry juice and mixed the Protein mix in with it. I ate enough, and it stood down. ( took the rest home with me)

Basic Post-Op Rules ( For my surgeon )

Eat slowly. Each meal should take 15-30 minutes. Drink fluids between meals, either 30 minutes before or 30-45 minutes after.

4-6 week Post-Op - Stage 2 - Soft, Mushy and or pureed ( First month adter surgery solid food are all prohibited )

Examples:

• Pureed meats, fish, chicken
  • Baby food containing protein
  • Low fat yogurt, cottage cheese, ricotta cheese, humus
  • Sugar free puddings or jellos
  • Hot Cereal (oatmeal, cream of wheat, farina, grits
  • Ground meats such as turkey, chicken, veal or pork
  • Turkey burgers or chicken balls
  • White Flaky fish (Tilapia, cod, flounder)
  • Eggs/Whites (Scrambled, poached, omelets)
  • fruits and vegetables are limited

Preparation:

• Foods can be baked, broiled, grilled, steamed, or poached.
  • Do Not Use bread Crumbs
  • Use chicken, vegetable, or beef broth to make moist.
  • Do Not Reheat in microwave, it can change the consistency of the the food.

Portion Size:

Palm of hand (3-4 ounces)

Remember: You are concentrating on protein. The food does not have to be "meal specific". Try omlets for dinner or leftover fish for Breakfast.

I had minimal pain during the hospital stay although I was on a morphine PAC pump, I used it before they walked me every 2 hrs, because it was uncomfortable to get in and out of bed, yes they walked me, every two hours on the DOT around the clock, they are very strict with their procedures, but it minimalized infections, blood clots, and any aother issues that can arrise. I have to say, I am very happy with the whole process, I am happy with my sleeve, and I am down from 302lb to 273ib. (obvioulsy I lost a decent ammount with the 2 week liquid diet) but I am still making some progress.

Hi I'm from the UK and am having my surgery on the 31st October milk diet starting 17th October can not wait how ru feeling? How much weight have you lost? Xx

I feel amazing, I lost in total 29lb so far, from when I started this whole process. Good Luck! Message me if you need any help with anything.

Congrats on the 29lbs lost so far. It seems like you went thru in 6 months what I did in 3 (guess insurance companies are just as different). I have been on my WLS Journey since January 30 (1st time I met my surgeon) when I started the thinking process and after attending the seminar I made up my mind I was having the surgery and there was no question it would be the Sleeve. Like you, I did not like the thought of a band (stretching, popping, rusting..it all went thru my head), Bypass - well - the biggest no no was what is the point of making a pouch and then leaving everything else inside me - to just what...hang around? OH NO.

Re-route was a word I use when on a trip. ;).

If you're going to give me a pouch and the rest of my stomach serve NO PURPOSE at all - Take it out.

Thus my research found the Sleeve and the decision was made.

Welcome to VST and welcome to the loser's couch :D:P