Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Six Month Diet Is Officially Over! Waiting For Approval From Uhc

I'm sorry Ebonisekim :( I hope she is not hurting.

Thank you .. So much

:unsure: I just received my approval from UHC this past Monday...waiting on a sugeon consult and trying to come up with the $3800 out of pocket expense...But I'm still very excited,

Mine ends tomorrow and then we submit to Oxford/UHC. I don't care what anyone says, 6 months is a long time. Can't wait until it's over.

So for everyone with UHC, the 6 month diet, does it have to start AFTER you have your consult or can it count for any 6 month range within the last 2 yrs.? I read on the UHC website that you could even combine 2 - 3 month stints within the last 2 years as long as you were weighed each month by a doctor and some notes were written......

It was ok for me to start the 6 months w/o a consult

Hi everyone! I'm at the very beginning of this journey but so very excited. Question- my insurance UHC wants me to do 6mo of organized weight loss program. I have joined Weight Watchers. Is the ins company going to want just my receipts for 6mo of WW or am I going to have to show that I lost weight on it? Also I'm at the very edge of qualifying for the surgery so if I lose weight on WW my BMI will go down.

Hi everyone! I'm at the very beginning of this journey but so very excited. Question- my insurance UHC wants me to do 6mo of organized weight loss program. I have joined Weight Watchers. Is the ins company going to want just my receipts for 6mo of WW or am I going to have to show that I lost weight on it? Also I'm at the very edge of qualifying for the surgery so if I lose weight on WW my BMI will go down.

"If you went to Weight Watchers or Jenny Craig, please provide a copy of all the stamps for 6 consecutive months AND at least two physician office visit notes showing appointment date, your weight and that you were participating in Weight Watchers or Jenny Craig. Please use the form that has been provided to you to record these visits."

That's what I was told. But remember every plan is different :) good luck!

Oh and I'm not sure about the BMI thing :/ sorry!

Thank you for getting back to me. My meeting is tomorrow night, can't wait.

Some companies don't except WW and that such as a stand alone weightloss program if I was u I would go see a pcp and let them record your weight in the doctors notes because you going to need a pcp anyways to write your letter of medically necessity ... If you don't allready have a pcp this will give the doc time to kno you for when he writes his letter ..I also was told by my coordinator and pcp that I could lose wieght on the program even though my Bmi is 43 that it won't affect the insurance company but this still in the air ..good luck I'm on my fifth month of supervised diet and I lose 15 pounds five more to goal ...

Thanks for the info. I did call my ins co. And they stated that WW would work but couldn't give me details. This is such a long journey but so worth it. Good luck and I look forward to following your journey.

Hello everyone I also have 2 more months to go. I felt like 6 months would never get here. I loss only 10 pounds so far and my dietitan wants me to lose 5 pounds for next month visit and then I will only have Dec and I will be done. So after we are done do anyone knows how long it will take to get a approval from your insurance? I have Blue Cross Blue Shield. Thanks

I have Oxford which is owned by UHC and follows all the UHC rules. They told me it has to be medically supervised which means no WW. I was told I could combine WW with medically approved nutritionist but WW on it's own was out. They need doctors notes to go along with the monthly weigh-ins.

This is the hardest part of the process...hurrying up and waiting for approval..good luck everyone!

Hi everyone make sure you check with your Bariatric Office. I was told 6 months and I just found out from my Bariatrics Office that the first appointment doesn't count because you haven't been monitored for that month. You actually need to be seen 7 times.