Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A Mexican Mess!!!

Lopez strikes again. I wish there was some way to warn people about him. I wonder if other Mexican lap-band doctors can do anything about him. He's making them all look bad and they're, no doubt, losing business because of his malpractice - not that they're hurting for business but still . . . It seems like people's worst fear of Mexican surgery come to life with Lopez. I wonder if he's actually even a doctor!

Lyndseyjill, I'm so sorry you're going through this and I hope you get relief from your infection very soon, and that you'll find a local doctor to help you out. I'm in the D/FW area and am using Dr. Jayaseelan at Medical City Dallas for my fills. I'm not fond of Dr. Jay but I really really like his PA Arlene. I'm not sure if Dr. Jay will take on a Mexico patient with complications, but I know he see's Mexico patients for fills because I had my surgery done in Mexico! Dr. Maese (cardiologist) does fills for Mexico patients in Ferris (south of Dallas) and in Frisco (north of Dallas) so you might look into seeing him.

Best wishes and please let us know how you're doing and if you found a local doctor.

There are bad doctors everywhere. I have a friend whose surgeon--in WISCONSIN--totally screwed up the surgery and left her in permanent pain and he's still advertising and doing business in the good ol' US of A.

That said, to enforce a LOAN agreement, they probably do NOT need medical records, just loan documents. Jurisdiction would depend on what the loan docs say.

Not an attorney, just grew up in a family full of 'em.

Sue

Poor,poor Andres has been threatening patients with lawsuits for years. What you have to remember is you did not go to Andre for surgery but to the surgeon. Calll him and tell him of your problems. If not write them a letter and post it here. It will get seen, and you'll get some response. I bet the records were not destroyed, they just didn't put anything down except the basics and don't want to put energy into making another record up.

P.S He's filing a court case in Cali, Mexico???? Do you really think you can be extradited for @2000. ?

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH. Honestly I didn't imagine this many people reading my story, much less taking the time to offer great advice and assistance. This board has made the world of difference on my emotional health anyways.

New developments: I contacted my patient coordinator to plead again for medical records. Again she claims that they are destroyed after 1 month and they are unable to provide me w/ anything. So... this might not be the smartest thing to do, but I advised them that I wouldn't be making any more payments. (I owe them a remainder of $2000 of in-house finance). Now, Andres Betancourt, the owner is threatening to sue me. He says that he will file suit in Cali and I will be forced to travel there for the trial. I think he was just saying this to scare me into paying. But I'm not going to bend. He can take me to court if he wishes. But no records = no more payments!!!!! He supposedly filed suit against me yesterday, so... we will see what happens.

On another note...I have been asked where I live several times and it's Ft.Worth, Tx. I plan to get on the phones and start calling around w/ some of the advice i've already received. But as always, If you have any additional info, I will GLADLY take it. :P

Again, I just want to thank you all so much for caring and understanding. I look forward to hopping on the computer each day after work to see all my replies :confused:

I not sure if this will help, But some where on this forum I read something about lap band lawyers. I will try to find it for you and let you know. Unless someone else can tell you.

GOOD LUCK

Staceylca

Who do you pay to? The doctor himself or a bank that gave you the loan? If you're paying directly to the doctor, screw him and don't pay. He is not in the USA and probably can't sue you. If it is an american bank that loaned you the money, they can turn you over to a collection agency. It still is a long way before they would sue you. They will sue in your state, if it ever happens.

Anyway, threats are nothing, don't let them intimidate you. I doubt he can file a civil case in another state.

The loan was in-house, through the owner, Andres Betancourt. That's why i'm not paying the rest out. If it had been through a bank, I'd pay to keep my credit in line.

Aww..Lindsey, that totally sucks. I dont know what to tell you, but for sure you need to stick with your antibotics and make sure you go to your followup appt to see if you need another round. Even if you have to pay out of pocket for the visit you need to get this infection under control and eradicated. I hope you find a good doctor for followup. I think I would contact Dr. Mease or one of the docs mentioned and see if you could get an appt with him. Let us know how things work out.

Two things.....

1. Stand your ground in court! Fight. They want to scare you and see if you will just quit. Trust me on this one. I know.

2. I went to Mexico this weekend. Everything went fine until I woke up yesterday to find my car had been stolen out of the parking lot at the Travel Lodge in San Ysidrio. PLEASE BE CAREFUL EVERYONE WITH YOUR CAR!!! I found out the hard way that cars are stolen very frequently!!!!

Christine :faint:

From what I have heard and read on this and other boards Lopez has had a much higher % of slips than normal. :) I definatley would steer clear of him...

~Liz~

03/10/06

241/164/160

5'7''

Hi Lindsay,

I am in Fort Worth. I would try the following Docs. I know them all personally:

Dr. Adam Smith/out of the surgery center in Hurst. He is banded himself and may see you

Dr. Frank Veninga - He is not the doc who banded me, but he took care of me recently when I had problems recently. He is in Carollton

Dr. Richard Carter: He is the doc who banded me and he is a good surgeon, but I dont know if he will help a patient who was not banded by him. Arlington TX

Dr. Wade Barker - in Dallas - He will do revisions and aftercare and I am pretty sure he will see a mexican band patient

Dr. Jayseleean in Dallas - I know that he will take a patient that is banded in Mexico.

Dr. Louis Fox in Dallas - Better known as Dr. Angel. He recently helped a friend of mine who was banded in Mexico. She required a removal.

If you need more help, please contact me privately.

Babs in TX

334/190 ish

banded more than 3 years now.....

Hi Lindsay,

I am in Fort Worth. I would try the following Docs. I know them all personally:

Dr. Adam Smith/out of the surgery center in Hurst. He is banded himself and may see you

I absolutely LOVE Dr. Smith. He will NOT, however, treat patients banded in Mexico. The reason I mention it here is that one woman I know of broached the subject with him. He was offended and pretty vocal about it. She was very embarrassed. This is not "rumor"...I talked to Dr. Smith's nurse after it occurred and she confirmed it.

Right or wrong, Dr. Smith feels that it is an "insult" to go to Mexico for surgery (to save money) and then seek treatment from an American surgeon when problems crop up, or because it's too inconvenient to go back to Mexico for fills.

I would hate for Lindsay to have a bad experience with Dr. Smith. He really is a nice guy...this is just one of his "hot buttons".

I absolutely LOVE Dr. Smith. He will NOT, however, treat patients banded in Mexico. The reason I mention it here is that one woman I know of broached the subject with him. He was offended and pretty vocal about it. She was very embarrassed. This is not "rumor"...I talked to Dr. Smith's nurse after it occurred and she confirmed it.

Right or wrong, Dr. Smith feels that it is an "insult" to go to Mexico for surgery (to save money) and then seek treatment from an American surgeon when problems crop up, or because it's too inconvenient to go back to Mexico for fills.

I would hate for Lindsay to have a bad experience with Dr. Smith. He really is a nice guy...this is just one of his "hot buttons".

That sounds really mean and judgemental. I doubt most people go to Mexico to save $$. Most people probably go b/c they couldn't afford to get it done otherwise. It's his perogative to not treat Mexican banded patients, but I hope he didn't say all that to the lady.

Maybe I am wrong and she told him that she wanted to save $$ to upgrade her Mercedes. Either way, I guess that would be her perogative too.