Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hypothyroids & Weightloss

Don't forget about Graves Disease, which is autoimmune. That is what I had. I was very thin.

I have hypothyroidism, and was told by my Doctor that all the medications I am on (High blod presure etc), save for my levoxyl would go away after my surgery. he said I would always be on levoxyl, and that it wouldnot hinder my weight loss whatsoever.

Don't forget about Graves Disease' date=' which is autoimmune. That is what I had. I was very thin.[/quote']

Grave's Disease is HYPERthyroidism, not HYPOthyroidism. They are different things. In some ways, I think hyper- is worse than hypo-, though. Also, if you have surgery to remove your thyroid, even if you have been HYPER, you can become HYPO. But, yes, Grave's Disease is also autoimmune. I would suspect, though, that most people getting bariatric surgery would not have had HYPERthyroidism unless it was in the past and subsequently the thyroid was removed.

Again, thyroid issues are not considered morbidity issues. You can live to a ripe old age on synthroid, levoxyl, etc.

Grave's Disease is HYPERthyroidism' date=' not HYPOthyroidism. They are different things. In some ways, I think hyper- is worse than hypo-, though. Also, if you have surgery to remove your thyroid, even if you have been HYPER, you can become HYPO. But, yes, Grave's Disease is also autoimmune. I would suspect, though, that most people getting bariatric surgery would not have had HYPERthyroidism unless it was in the past and subsequently the thyroid was removed.

Again, thyroid issues are not considered morbidity issues. You can live to a ripe old age on synthroid, levoxyl, etc.[/quote']

Maybe I should have been more clear Dr. Sadler1999. I had Graves Disease. I HAD radioactive iodine therapy and I NO longer have a thyroid, therefore I have hypothyroidism-autoimmune. No, thyroid issues are not considered comorbidities. The internet doctors are amazing. For knowledge on a specific autoimmune disorder or any other thyroid disease, please consult your physician.

Maybe I should have been more clear Dr. Sadler1999. I had Graves Disease. I HAD radioactive iodine therapy and I NO longer have a thyroid' date=' therefore I have hypothyroidism-autoimmune. No, thyroid issues are not considered comorbidities. The internet doctors are amazing. For knowledge on a specific autoimmune disorder or any other thyroid disease, please consult your physician.[/quote']

Sorry I struck the wrong tone with you, but even you would have to admit that it's less likely to find someone on your journey (hyper to hypo) in our forum. My neighbor had/has Grave's. She also had the iodine therapy and it didn't kill her thyroid like anticipated. She got pregnant and carried a miracle baby to term. The baby was born hyperthyroid and is the only documented case of it. She's going in the medical journals. In the meantime, her mom is probably going to have her thyroid removed, but even with just the iodine treatment, she has put on some weight. It must be extremely difficult to go from one extreme to the other.

As for doctors, I think they are more likely to discuss Grave's with you than Hashimoto's. I have lived in three states and I have had three endocrinologists over 10 years. No one told me I had Hashimoto's. I had to ask. It's a little frustrating.

Ok I have hypothyroid. I was sleeved 2/15/13. A of today I'm down 27 pounds and 12 1/4 inches. I'm sooo excited.

Ok I have hypothyroid. I was sleeved 2/15/13. A of today I'm down 27 pounds and 12 1/4 inches. I'm sooo excited.

I was sleeved on 2/19/13 and I am down 27lbs as well. It is possible to lose weight with hypothyroidism. :o)

I have hashimoto's hypothyroidism and have had a total throidectomy, and yes it is possible to lose 117 lbs:)

It seems like it's going to be a little slower, which I'm glad so hopefully I can tighten and tone as I go

I have hashimoto's hypothyroidism and have had a total throidectomy' date=' and yes it is possible to lose 117 lbs:)[/quote']

How long did it take to get the 117 off? A year?

How long did it take to get the 117 off? A year?

No just since July 1, 2012...at my July 18 surgery date I have lost 99 lbs. Also taking a two week cruise in November and with Christmas, I could have been more dedicated and probably lost a little more:)

I have Graves' disease and am on tapezol. Having it has made me question weight loss as well bc since starting meds I've gained 2lbs a month. Ill be sleeved march 20th

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism in Feb 2009. I was sleeved on 8-21-12 and have 75 lbs lost total so far, 10 lbs being pre surgery. I had my thyroid levels checked in February and they are still within the normal range and I've been on 112 mcg of Synthroid since before surgery. I wasn't sure how it would affect my weight loss, but it seems as long as my levels are good, the weight has been coming off, which is a good sign. I still have 42 lbs more to go go get to my personal goal, so we'll see if it slows down a bit now. Good luck to everyone who has thyroid issues and has this surgery too!!

I have Graves' disease and am on tapezol. Having it has made me question weight loss as well bc since starting meds I've gained 2lbs a month. Ill be sleeved march 20th

It's interesting, because really, once your thyroid is out of whack...one way or the other....weight suffers. I've known people with Grave's that were dangerously thin. It's the opposite of our problem, but it IS a problem just the same. Other symptoms like hair loss, problems with heat regulation, problems with menstruation, etc, etc. are teh same across the board.

When I initially inquired about my own slow weight loss, I wondered if it had to do with the disease; but plenty of people have lost a ton of weight with thyroid issues. So, I guess it's me. I certainly eat right and exercise. I was home-bound today because my daughter has a stomach flu, but as boring as it was, I walked around my house for 10,000 steps and I climbed my stairs 75 times. Slow weight loss is not always a sign that someone is not "doing enough." I kind of get the sense from people taking it off more quickly that I must be doing something "wrong," but my PCP says that there are a lot of people who lose slowly like me. Because it is slow, we don't post as much, but we are a substantial group.

Good luck on the 20th.