Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eating Solid Food is Very Painful

I just had my first fill a week ago, I am now trying solid food and I am getting that golf ball feeling when I swallow, it is very painful, I have not had a pb yet. Just wondering if this means I need another fill? Is that painful feeling the food going through the band? If so then what does it feel like when you hit your sweet spot. I do not feel full, after I get those pains and they pass I can still continue to eat because I am still hungry.

I am not loosing any weight and getting frustrated.

They told us at one of the support groups that when you get that feeling you should walk away because that means your full. That mentally you need to learn that its ok not to go back and eat what is left and to walk away. It is hard to do but that is the reason they say some have slow weight loss. Just what I heard anyways...

You could be experiencing the first bite syndrome too. Have you tried something hot to drink first then eat your solid food? I have heard that really helps. How much fill do you have and what size band?

There are a lot of reasons you might be getting the golfball feeling.

Are you eating too fast? If I don't wait between bites I have this problem.

Are you taking too big of bites? Tiny TINY bites, pausing between swallowing and taking the next tiny TINY bite may help.

Are you chewing your food well enough? Even a tiny bite can hurt if you don't chew, chew, chew to goo before you swallow. Don't try to swallow tiny amounts of a too big bite. Take the tiny bite and chew it all very carefully before you swallow any of it. It sounds very simply, but I've found it's the hardest thing to do.

Are you watching television or trying to do anything else while you're eating? You should be concentrating on your eating, without any kind of distraction. The second I am distracted by something I take too big a bite or I don't completely chew and BANG, I get the golfball feeling.

I hope this has at least given you something to consider. Best wishes with the problem and let us know how you're doing.

Im still just 2 wks post op and have had the golfball feel on liquids- thicker ones. After reading your post I have to be drinking too fast. The warm did help!!

Hunter this is a not-uncommon sensation when people are getting used to a new fill. You really have to eat more slowly, chew until the bites are absolutely pulverized (like PASTE in your mouth), and wait a good 20-30 seconds between bites. It's like learning to eat all over again.

A warm drink before your meal might help, but I think you're just learning the bandster way of eating. Practice will make perfect!