Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I know there are a few threads discussing this. I know there isn't a big difference in sizes between the most common 32,34,36 frenches. But I'm wondering if there is a difference in weight loss over time. It depends on so many factors. Starting weight, diet, activity. But I notice some people have much less restriction than others. 32s even seem too feel it with liquids, 36s are drinking fluids like its nothing. Im going to Dr. Kelly who uses a 36 which I'll be honest is my ONLY questioning factor in having him perform the surgery. I don't want to be 3 months out eating a cup of food while some are just reaching those amounts at 9 months. My fear of failure and regain probably putting doubts in place. : /

From what I understand it is just millimeters of difference which equals very little. Im my opinion I think it has something to do with the person. An example of someone who was sleeved 4 days before me is drinking her 8oz shakes, getting in all of her Water and has started pureed which she just chews really good to make it pureed. I on the other hand can only consume 4oz at once and drink water all day to make sure I can get in as much as I can. I say take it slow don't rush to eat pureed, my diet says you could be on full liquid for 4 weeks. I think this helps to heal the stomach small so it is not used to larger quantities. This is just my opinion I really don't know. Don't worry you are doing the right thing and it will work out great.

My doctor said he uses a 38. I'm only a month out so I can't speak for long term but I can only eat enough to fill two medicine cups (2 fl oz). Drinking is getting better but I still have to drink constantly to get my Water in.

32-36F is the international consensus "standard": http://www.verticalsleevetalk.com/topic/47390-international-sleeve-gastrectomy-expert-panel-consensus-statement-best-practice-guidelines-based-on-experience-of-12000-cases

My surgeon uses a 36 because he feels it's the best balance between safety and restriction.

Got my hospital records today and found out I have a 40 french bougie. I was 293 and 5'9 before pre op diet. I am a big girl, not just a fat girl...

I was a little dismayed. So I did a little checking and found a pic showing the difference in sizes from 28-64...really its like a bic pen to a magic marker...how much is that really? If I ate 1/2 of what I used to...I would lose alot of weight, if I then cut that in half...I would lose more weight. I am eating waaaaay less than 1/4 of what I could pre surgery. Its a tool, you can dig a hole with any size shovel, it might take longer but you still have the hole!

I have had NO complications. Able to drink Water since day 2, liquids and start a regular diet tomorrow beginning my 4th week. I can tell when I should quit and I do. Down 31 lbs since pre op diet. I am also diabetic so that throws alot of issues in there, too.

I saw my swallow test and it is a narrow stomach with a tiny pouch. I think he made the right choice for me (although if I had known there was a choice I would have wanted the smallest one) and I am so glad I can swallow pills and drink normally. I am betting we will all will be successful if we are willing to do the work.

The difference can be quite large. You have to calculate the difference as a volume measurement.

That having been said, different things work for different people. Some surgeons make it smaller than the bougie size by oversewing the staple line.

But those are de-solvable sutures...

Guess what... I think I have the biggest Bougie size ever! You ready for this.... It's 46 French! I'm 6 weeks out and have amazing restriction- I feel very little hunger and can eat 2-3 oz comfortably at my meals. ;) I was freaked out, but my dr. Convinced me it was all how snug the surgeon gets to the Bougie. I'm very happy with my size- and trusted his judgements. I hope it stays like this forever- but I know I'm not that lucky!

But those are de-solvable sutures...

The sutures along with the staples dictate where the stomach heals itself together. After the healing is done the staples don't really matter either, they just stay in there for obvious reasons.

Diameter is only part of the volumetric equation , length is what gets overlooked. I don't think I would feel so good about a doctor who uses one size bougie and even less for a doctor who let me pick!

Diameter is only part of the volumetric equation , length is what gets overlooked. I don't think I would feel so good about a doctor who uses one size bougie and even less for a doctor who let me pick!

My doctor only uses one size, makes sense to me. He can't control the length of the stomach, but he can consistently control how close he staples by using one consistent size of bougie.

It wouldn't make sense to me to, say, measure the length of individual stomachs and then adjust the "horizontal" size to accommodate. You can only take something so big through an opening no matter how long the stomach is.

Got my hospital records today and found out I have a 40 french bougie. I was 293 and 5'9 before pre op diet. I am a big girl' date=' not just a fat girl...

I was a little dismayed. So I did a little checking and found a pic showing the difference in sizes from 28-64...really its like a bic pen to a magic marker...how much is that really? If I ate 1/2 of what I used to...I would lose alot of weight, if I then cut that in half...I would lose more weight. I am eating waaaaay less than 1/4 of what I could pre surgery. Its a tool, you can dig a hole with any size shovel, it might take longer but you still have the hole!

I have had NO complications. Able to drink Water since day 2, liquids and start a regular diet tomorrow beginning my 4th week. I can tell when I should quit and I do. Down 31 lbs since pre op diet. I am also diabetic so that throws alot of issues in there, too.

I saw my swallow test and it is a narrow stomach with a tiny pouch. I think he made the right choice for me (although if I had known there was a choice I would have wanted the smallest one) and I am so glad I can swallow pills and drink normally. I am betting we will all will be successful if we are willing to do the work.[/quote']

My surgeon also uses a 40g. He said that although the recommendation is 32-36. He uses 40 and has his pt have a much better recovery less complications and no food intolerences. He staples tight against the bougie and his pt all have significant weight loss. 6 days to my surgery!

Thanks for the replies everyone. Im sure its just my own fear of it not working fast enough or permanently rearing its ugly head. Im way mentally prepped, Im very nutritionally educated. I know what to expect. I guess in my own overweight mind...smaller sounds better, because big is what got me where I am. : / thanks again.

My doctor said he uses a 38. I'm only a month out so I can't speak for long term but I can only eat enough to fill two medicine cups (2 fl oz). Drinking is getting better but I still have to drink constantly to get my Water in.

Thank you. This helped me put it into perspective a bit. Im just being paranoid I guess. My mom had hers done on Tuesday. She has a 34. Since my surgery is scheduled maybe Im just having that "buyer anxiety" and wondering if Im getting the "best deal" lol

Thank you. This helped me put it into perspective a bit. Im just being paranoid I guess. My mom had hers done on Tuesday. She has a 34. Since my surgery is scheduled maybe Im just having that "buyer anxiety" and wondering if Im getting the "best deal" lol

My surgeon also said he uses the slightly bigger size because it has less side effects/complications. I never got sick even once. I think the main discomfort I had at first was due to the hiatal hernia repair he had to do. I've never "slimed" and when I eat that one bite too much I'm just very uncomfortable. I've never worried about throwing up in public. Down 31 lbs since 8/27.