Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Facebook Official- I Told The World!

I had struggled with the problem "to tell or not to tell" ever since I got my surgery done on 8-27-12. I have lost 26 pounds and it is obvious on my 5'6" frame. Many people had been coming up to me and complimenting me on my weight loss and of course the common question is "how did ya do it?" I didn't want to lie or to mislead anyone and make them think that I did it by diet alone. I wanted to be real and let them know that it is ok to need help getting healthy. I had told a couple of people and their responses had all been positive. I decided on 9-22-12 to make it "Facebook official" because we all know that unless it is said on Facebook it hasn't been said right!!! LOL. Below is my post. I was amazed at the responses I got. I had 103 likes and over 60 comments (well wishes) in the matter of a couple of hours. People are really supportive. I write this because I know lots of people struggle with the issue of telling others. I hope in some way that I can be an inspiration and let them know that it is really ok for the world to know that you needed a little bit of help getting healthy and staying healthy. You would be surprised how many people honestly want to know more about the surgery and how many people don't know where to begin on their journey to health. I have had more inbox messages asking questions about how to go about looking into surgery than I can even answer in a day’s time. I don’t necessarily want to be the poster child for gastric sleeve but I want to be supportive and help those who don't know.

THE FAMOUS FACEBOOK POST THAT STARTED IT ALL!!

I've struggled for years with being a "big girl". I've joked about it to cover my tears. I've dieted and lost but I always regained everything I lost plus a little. Over the years, I have done every diet known to man. Realizing that I have so much to live for I made the decision to do something about my health. I knew I needed help to get this weight off and to keep it off forever. I didn't tell anyone about my plans except those that meant the very most to me, those who wouldn't judge me for choosing to do something drastic to improve my life and my health. Today, however I am making it "Facebook official" because I have reached my very first scale goal. On 8/27/12 I had gastric sleeve surgery done. I weighed in the day of surgery at 221 big ole heavy pounds. This morning as I stepped on the scales, big huge crocodile tears ran down my face as I saw the greatest sight. I weighed less than 200 pounds!!! I've lost 10 inches in my waist line alone already. I've dropped from a size 18 to a 14 pants. I don't want to be a stick girl just healthy enough that I may grow old watching my children live productive lives and to be able to run and play with my grand babies. I want to ALWAYS be a part of their life. This surgery was only a tool that i purchased. I've had to make major changes in my life to get to this point. I have quit drinking; I haven't had a “real” coke in two years, any diet drinks, carbonation, or caffeine in 8 months. I am eating very healthy and trying to exercise every day. I'm proud of my decision to take control of my weight rather than let it control me. I am on my way to a new healthier me and I am one happy girl!!

You're very brave. While I didn't make it Facebook official, I do tell anyone who is honest enough to ask me how I did it. Especially people who are overweight, my hope is that I may inspire them to make a decision they may be struggling with making for themselves.

You're doing great. Keep it up (;

Awesome post! Loved it!

I am so happy for you. I expect to walk in your shoes one day soon. You have inspired me in more ways than you can imagine. I can do this! I hope to hear more good news from you. Take care and keep the faith, God is with you every step of the way!

Nancy

Whoot whoot!!!! I can not wait to make my Facebook post! And yes I am telling thee world! All 1,045 fb friends will know~ I'm soooo excited about this shift in my life who knows how many people could be blessed from me sharing my experience instead of the I just dieted or I did WW response everyone else gives~ Nope I got Sleeved Boo! Crazy thing is everyone that I have told thus far has been soooooooooo supportive and even those who secretly will hate I love them anyways!

T~ :wub: :wub:

Whoot whoot!!!! I can not wait to make my Facebook post! And yes I am telling thee world! All 1' date='045 fb friends will know~ I'm soooo excited about this shift in my life who knows how many people could be blessed from me sharing my experience instead of the I just dieted or I did WW response everyone else gives~ Nope I got Sleeved Boo! Crazy thing is everyone that I have told thus far has been soooooooooo supportive and even those who secretly will hate I love them anyways!

T~ :wub: :wub: [/quote']

Love it!! We are just alike. Good luck!!

So happy for you! I hope to have the strength to be "Facebook official" but it will take some time....maybe like you, when I reach a certain goal...like under 200 lbs! Great job, and great inspiration!

you are an amazing person to be able to open yourself up to so many people. I applaud you and your decision to be open and honest.

Though I do tell anyone who asks what I did, don't know if I could ever have the sack to do what you did.. you are awesome!!!

Congrats! For taking control of your health and your quality of life You're very brave. I have told my most immediate family of my plans. Im headed to TJ in March 2013. After speaking of my decision, my mother decided to look into it. She beat me to it and was sleeved yesterday.So proud of her. Im still deciding who to tell or not as my siblings were never very forgiving of their heavier stepsister even as adults. Not sure if I'll let the fat outta the bag, or just show up skinny lol. Best wishes to you.

Congrats! For taking control of your health and your quality of life You're very brave. I have told my most immediate family of my plans. Im headed to TJ in March 2013. After speaking of my decision' date=' my mother decided to look into it. She beat me to it and was sleeved yesterday.So proud of her. Im still deciding who to tell or not as my siblings were never very forgiving of their heavier stepsister even as adults. Not sure if I'll let the fat outta the bag, or just show up skinny lol. Best wishes to you.[/quote']

Thank you. You can do whatever you set your mind to. Good luck with your surgery.

Congrats for sharing the news! I've been thinking about it ever since I got my surgery date lined up but I keep thinking once I tell I can't un-tell.

When I was first sleeved people would ask what I was doing, and I didn't hesitate to mention that I had weight-loss surgery. As time went on, however, I realized I wasn't losing weight just because I had WLS. It felt wrong to say I was losing weight because of WLS because I was also eating right and exercising so much more.

Now, when someone asks, I tend to say, "Zumba," which isn't the best answer because it leaves many people clueless.

I haven't hid that I had surgery. I even blog about it, but I don't give it as my number one thing I am doing to lose weight anymore. It's been over a year, and it feels like the weight is coming off now because of what I am doing not because of my surgery. If I wasn't eating right and exercising, I wouldn't be losing regardless of my surgery.