Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Introducing Myself I Am Newbie Here: Future Sleever

My name is Natalie and I want to have the sleeve surgery. I have been overweight since childhood and battling my weight has been a constant battle. I am so tired of the Yo-You Dieting. Being 300 pounds and 5"6 is not easy. Especially with all the back and knee pain that makes it difficult to move around. I made my appointment for this Friday to my Primary Care Doctor. I am hoping all will go well at this appointment and that she will assist me in finding some good sleeve surgeons in the Marlyand and DC area. I have BCBS fed and I hope and pray my insurance company will not give me to much of a hard time with getting the process going. Can anyone tell me there experience with how they started there Sleeve Surgery Journey. I am just trying to stay positive and that prayfully I will be approved for this Surgery.

Hi, first if I was you I would make sure your insurance even covers the sleeve by calling them yourself. I am 280 and 5'6" and feel the same way. My knees hurt my hips and my achilles tendons became torn. So I decided to try and get sleeved. I also have BCBS, the weightloss clinic I went to told me my insurance covered all three surgeries (band, sleeve and bypass). They said I had to do a 6 month Doctor supervised diet. So I did and was getting all excited. I got my surgery date Aug 21. And was supposed to start a 2 week skim milk diet Aug. 7 I found out on Aug. 6 that BCBS doesn't cover the sleeve, only the band bypass. Apparently they over looked some fine print. I was so upset because down deep I really didn't want the bypass. Luckily I get the choice of BCBS or United so now I have to wait until Oct. To change insurance so hopefully I can get sleeved in Jan or Feb. I hope I'm able to be in the same mind set I was in Aug. It all just feels like a big rollercoaster kind of a head trip with my eatting issues. I just don't want you to get let down like I was. Good luck I hope it all works out for you.

I called my insurance and they do cover it. I woman I know has the same insurance BCBS Fed and she was able to get it so, we will see how this will work in my case.

Hi and welcome!!!

My journey started with my wife talking about the weight loss surgery some gals at work had and how well they were doing. That rolled off my back. Then she said she wanted to look into it for herself. That got my attention. I offered the "like putting a gun up to your head" argument along with the "just discipline yourself" gambit. I begrudgingly went to a support group where the surgeon spoke. Not only was I reassured about her Roux N Y operation I started thinking about sleeving myself which shocked my wife.

I am stubborn but not an idiot. :rolleyes:B)

My statistics are below. I made the right decision, so did she.

A woman that works here started talking about her procedure when I asked her how she lost weight and that she looks great. And that is how I got interested in getting the surgery. I ended up having lunch with her and she told me how she got started and everything. I just can't wait until Friday gets here so I can talk to my Primary Care Doctor. I would love to get the ball rolling on this, I know it's process and I am ready to get it started right away.

Hi I am new here too and have the same problems. My knees ,ankles and my back well I have Fluid on my spine my L5. They want to operate but no way not in my back anywhere else but not there lol. I have humana gold choice and they do cover the sleeve. I have already meet a doctor and started the process. He said if all goes well I will be sleeved in less than 3 months. They r using my back and a letter from my obgyn since while pregnant she watch my weight. Had me coming in every 2 weeks then every week and keep a record of all my vitals like weight in a chart that I have a copy of. I was 292 before and after I was 299 and now my weight is going up its at 308 and I am 5'5. Good luck hope it goes good for you and me.

I have Ind BC and Personal Choice BS in the PA/NJ area and they covered it. In the beginning of the process, my dr had me call and ask them a million questions about what is/isn't covered and requirements for surgery. I think that was the best idea. I knew exactly what I had to do to get approved. When it came time, I was approved almost immediately. Now I am on the two week pre op diet waiting for surgery on Oct 1. Hope this helps!!

I know what you mean, I hope goes will for you as well. At least you have a record of your weight, I haven't been to my primary care for quite some time (I forgot to mention that earlier). I hope I get approved for this. I am on pins and needles and the process hasn't yet to start yet. I have to stay positive.

That is great Nita, I know you are very excited. I have a person that I spoke to at work who had the surgery and has the same exact insurance that I have. So I hope I get this going really soon.

Yes you and me and its so easy said but sometimes hard to do for me. I have wanted this and been looking into it for the last 4 years. I had to wait for my insurance then when I got it my fertile behind got pregnant. I was so happy but sad and mad because i wanted the sleeve so bad and now I was going to have to wait again. But my obgyn new i wanted it and said we as a team was going to get me ready for it so I could get it done. Thank God for good doctors who really care. My baby girl is 4 months old.

HI Natalie!

I'm also new here and planning to have the gastric sleeve. I've already met with several surgeons and have decided to go with the Bluepoint surgical group who are out of Inova Fair Oaks. I have BCBS Fed and this is one of the only groups that BCBS Fed (Basic option) okays in the DC metro area. I love both Moazzez and Halmi and will be fine with either doc doing my surgery. I did confirm with BCBS that they cover the sleeve and they do.

I'm at 275 on a 5'4" frame and have been fairly lucky so far in that I don't have any co-morbidity issues. Yet, that is. I have been having aching feet a lot this past year and I'm sure the achiness is caused my the extra weight.

At any rate, I wish you much success and look forward to chatting with you as we begin this journey!

Rachel

Hi-Rachel

That is great, I have a list of surgeons that I am interested in the the DC area, once I have my appt with my primary care doctor out the way and she approves of doing my package for the surgery then, will I start searching for a surgeon. Currently, I am looking at Medstar Washington Hospital Center, which is close to me. I would love this other surgeon at John Hopkins in Baltimore but that seems to be pretty far, if only I can get the surgeon in baltimore and have my post op care in at Medstar that would be great. But it would only make sense to have my post op care at the same office that I would have my surgery at.