Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Edinburgh Pre Op Newbie

Hi, I am so glad that I found the VSM app as its really helped inform my decision to opt for a sleeve. Met with the bariatric nurse last week with a view of having a lapband, she was great and laid out all the options. I hadn't heard about the sleeve before, my initial thoughts were OMG removing most of my stomach! Yes i went into panic mode & missed my connection that I need a 'tool' for life so a sleeve makes perfect sense. So the threads have been very very very informative. Thanks to all who share their experiences, it's calmed me down to no end.

Meet the surgeon next week :-) Anyone had the op done at Spire in Edinburgh?

Hi. I had the Gastric Sleeve at the end of April at Spire Edinburgh - my surgeon was Andrew de Beaux. I decided on the Gastric Sleeve as I know someone else who had the surgery the previous year via Andrew de Beaux and have seen her "journey" first hand. Andrew de Beaux also has a reputation as an excellent surgeon out with weightless surgery. It's not for everyone and is definitely not a quick fix as you will have to change your relationship with food (but that was what I was looking for) exercise etc, but I can honestly say I have not, at any point, regretted my decision. I feel great! My experience of the Spire hospital, Lorna, Andrew de Beaux and Dr Fred Pender was excellent. I wish you luck in your weight loss journey whatever your decision is.

Just wanted to say I was in Edinburgh for my first time in May, I loved your city! I was sleeved in July and so far it's one of the best things I've ever done for myself:)

Thanks for your replies. Edinburgh has that special something, I feel in love with city and relocated here.

Snap! Am seeing the same medical team too. Have a question about Protein drinks as seems to be a common staple, lorna didn't mention them and wondering if they recommend slim fast &/or another product?

Thanks for your replies. Edinburgh has that special something, I feel in love with city and relocated here.

Snap! Am seeing the same medical team too. Have a question about Protein drinks as seems to be a common staple, lorna didn't mention them and wondering if they recommend slim fast &/or another product?

It's different here than in the US from what I can gather. Dr Fred puts you on a 2 week pre-op diet that is based on food in the quantities that you'll be eating in the long term post-op. I only did 10 days pre-op as I was in holiday just before. I lost 10lbs! Here they prefer you to use food as opposed to shakes and Protein powder except in the early days. Post-op I followed Dr Fred's detailed diet and only used Slim-Fast where I was told to. Now, at not quite 5 months post-op, I don't use shakes of that type at all. Occasionally I'll have a Protein Bar that I get in Boots - called ProMax I think, in the diet section, but I haven't had one for around 6 weeks now.

Hi I'm from London and im being sleeved October 31st at spire harpenden by mr Douglas whitelaw start milk diet 17th oct :-)

Hi Carly,

Ooh that's soon, am excited for you :-) Did it take you long to decide to be sleeved, so to speak?

Hi tasdevil

Iv been thinking about it for quite some time now maybe a year or so and after my fourth child was born last October I was the heaviest Iv ever been n piling on the lbs so in July both me n my mum decided to go for it. We spoke to the surgeon n discussed the three ops available n the sleeve just seemed so much better than the band or bypass as each day passes I'm getting more nervous but I know I am getting closer to the person mother n girlfriend that I really want to be. What has ur experience been like? :-)

Two of my closest friends, then my sister had a lapband a few years ago. Seeing first hand what their experiences were like I've had the thought of weight loss surgery at the back of my mind for awhile & it kept coming closer to the front. I never followed through and after yet another failed attempt at dieting last month it just clicked that I should talk to professionals about wls. I've been over weight all my life & now have high blood pressure, so doing my research and will decide with my Dr when to have the op.

feel for you, can see on the forum that its a natural response. You'll do great, one day at a time :-)

Thank you and the majority of people on here uk and USA have been so positive about it their only regret is that they did it much sooner. I went to have my bloods etc n to make sure I was fit enough for surgery and everything was ok apart from my cholesterol was a bit high trying to cut down before I go back n see the dietician on the 12th she wants me to lose 5lbs which I'm hoping I will achieve. Good luck to you also :-) xx