Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hunger Hasn't Gone Away...why?

He decided that "the rules" didn't apply to him, so he went directly into eating normal food..

Hi Cheryl

As i read your above sentence i immediately put my hand to my mouth and said OMG

NUT- nutritionist, will advise him - he must start to listen to her. Rules w/the sleeve apply to all.

there are many other people that also have large amounts of lbs to loose. he is not alone.

there is a separate board for people who have different amounts of lbs to loose - extra amounts of weight. Might be a good idea for him to read

The sleeve is here to assist us loose weight. You be nice to it, and it will return the favor.

hubby didn't wake up one morning overweight- he's not going to wake up one morning with the weight gone

He doesn't shouldn't have to tell anyone about the # of his weight loss - they might come back with comments like you said "how much weight did you have to loose to start with" People show their ignorance when they say such things

he must/should stop weighing himself daily - the scale is the "devil" - no one should see the devil more than once a week.

it is hard for anyone loosing weight to look in the mirror and recognize the weight they loss

this is not a quick walk in the park............its a forever journey that is worth it

God give me patience, just hurry up about it

continue to read posts written on the board - they will be informative - tell/ask DH (darling husband) to read posts also

sorry if this came off sounding like a "lecture" - not my intent - trying to help

write back anytime with your questions

good luck to you both

today is a new day....

For me, one of the best things about the sleeve is the enforced period of abstinence from solid foods... I want to provide support and really felt for your hubby, but that he would ignore the rules that are there to stop him getting a leak in the first five weeks just made my stomach churn! Also the brat diet seems highly laden in carbs... Bananas are great but the other three are useless if he wants to curb hunger and keep his hair!!!!

I really recommend he goes to a nutritionist, you too, boot camp the house because if this goes on he may end up going in for the bypass too!!!

Sorry to be harsh, this thread is just scary!!! :(

Sorry, posted twice!

this might not be the answer your looking for but. go see your over get labs drawn he might be reading more because his body is craving something. a Vitamin difitioncy ( spelling.). most of the time with my personal experience, not sleeved, if im craving streak my Iron is low. milk Calcium and so forth. at nine months its good timing to get labs done too adjust Vitamins any ways

We are both well aware of the carb effect on his body. He always feels better when he is low carbing even prior to surgery. It's like he is allergic to sugar. We are keeping refined sugar to a minimum. But basically if he eats any solid meat (I am assuming this is what you mean by dense protein) he experiences pain. He is still getting his Protein in via supplements. I too believe that he is experiencing some acid reflux and indigestion and just doesn't know it. Also, head hunger as well. I am going to make sure that he takes an antacid to keep that at bay. I really believe that his "hunger" problem is attributed to those two things. He is doing much better. Eating cottage cheese, Peanut Butter, Beans, tuna, etc to keep the hunger/cravings away and to help get his protein in. Thank you all for your help and concern. He has a very long road ahead of him and any and all advice and suggestions are welcomed. We don't take offense to strong comments or hard advice. Thanks Again...Cheryl

I had GERD prior to surgery and it was 10,000xs worse after surgery...omperazole was like taking a sugar placebo pill. I had my medication adjusted and feel much better. Perhaps it is time to talk with his surgical team, RD and GI doc to plan a course of action for him! I hope he gets to feeling better.

There is a great cookbook called Eating Well After Weight Loss Surgery that I can't recommend highly enough. My parents came to help when I had my surgery in late August, and my dad made several of the recipes for me. He can have meat, it just needs to be soft. We made a chicken and mushroom Soup, another chicken dish, beef stroganoff, and potroast. Since I was nearing the puree phase, we pureed everything and froze it into ice cube trays. This gave me 1 oz portions. Even though I have just started the soft phase, those little cubes are like gold! I take them to work along with greek yogurt and a shake. Does he eat fish? Can he try dark meat chicken (as it is more tender)?

Also, getting on a decent ppi regimen is crucial. Thank goodness for protonix.

Can't say what is going on with your husband, but I can tell you that I am physically hungry a lot. It is not head hunger, it is physical hunger. I was always hungry pre-op, and still pretty hungry post-op. One of my adult sons is the same way - always hungry, but he works out like a maniac and is of normal weight.

Yes, I have tried all the meds, Prilosec, Zantac, etc. They help a little, not much. I get 100 grams or more of Protein every day. I drink as much as I can hold.

I will say the hunger is not over-powering like it used to be, but it's still there. I deal with it by eating small amounts of food and/or drinking Protein Drinks throughout the day, about 10 times per day.

I know that's not what the rules say, but it works for me and I am almost at goal in six months. We each have to find what fits us.

Best of luck to your hubby!!

He decided that "the rules" didn't apply to him, so he went directly into eating normal food. He still ate very small amounts and tried to chew everything well but it just didn't settle very well on his stomach. Since we went to the BRAT diet, bananas, rice, applesauce, and toast with added cottage cheese, he is having a much easier time with his stomach.

Wow, when I read this, I said to myself, "He is playing with fire, here."

One month out and eating regular foods, he is risking a leak. It is no wonder he has pain when eating. His arrogance will be the death of him. Seriously. Not something to be triffled with.

If he is going to venture out on his own path, then all I can say is God Bless him and good luck. I know of an easier path, compliance, but just don't be upset when he starts crying about how his weight loss has stalled and he doesn't know why. I know why ...

Ahhh... that's a man for ya.

Yeah, women have NO control or food issues, do they?

Please don't bash men in The Man Room forum.

This was the case we me also. It was heartburn not hunger.

Me too

Yeah' date=' women have NO control or food issues, do they?

Please don't bash men in The Man Room forum.[/quote']

No man bashing here. And no mention of anything to do with food. I was referring to the "rules don't apply" comment. Women have stereotypes that are very true about them (such as giving into men even when it's not in their best interest - not talking about OP... I have done this). A man stereotype that is often true (I am admitting there are exceptions) is that rules don't apply and the very similar case where they don't need instructions. My dad is getting ready to have the sleeve and I know that rules will not be enough for him if my mom isn't strict about the foods she keeps at home... not just because of temptation but because he thinks that if he feels better, he must be better. So I am educating both of them on the rules and monitoring what is being bought and prepared until they get the hang of it.

I was a woman asking another woman a question be it in the men's or purple people eater's room.

And the "rules don't apply" is in reference too ... uh ... food, so ... perpetuating a stereotype like this is, IMO, man bashing. Just because men in your life or all the TV shows portray men in a certain light doesn't really mean even 51% of the men behave that way. Or even 25% for that matter.

It may be 100% true ... all I'm saying is it just gets old always seeing men portrayed or referenced as the bumbling idiot when it comes to children, wives, jobs, cleaning, health ,,, blah, blah, blah. I would just think a Men's forum at a support site would be a safe haven.

BTW, if those reading this find the majority of men around them are the bumbling idiot types I mention above, perhaps it is time to analyze the company y'all keep.

I understand a few members on this site seem to only want to insult others and bring them down. I'm sorry if you felt I was joining that crowd. I don't look at what room I'm going in to when checking my "current" tab but I'll be sure to leave the mans room alone in the future.

BTW I never referred to anyone as a bumbling idiot and never spoke of kids, house work, etc. but I'll accept the stereotype you lumped ME with.

I understand a few members on this site seem to only want to insult others and bring them down. I'm sorry if you felt I was joining that crowd. I don't look at what room I'm going in to when checking my "current" tab but I'll be sure to leave the mans room alone in the future.

BTW I never referred to anyone as a bumbling idiot and never spoke of kids' date=' house work, etc. but I'll accept the stereotype you lumped ME with.[/quote']

HUH?

Do you have any idea of how stereotypes are formed? What, then, is the basis of the stereotypes about men were you referring to?

And what stereotype did I lump YOU into? The one who has stereotypes about men? Well, uh ... I think you put yourself in that one from your first and second post ... Right?