Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stretching The Sleeve By Drinking Through A Straw?

My NUT said that the reason I may not feel restriction until I eat 8 ounces is because I stretched my sleeve by drinking my Water too fast through a straw.

My surgeon claims he used a 34 bougie but I have never felt restriction at 4 ounces and I have never had to sip, sip ,sip...as they say. Im scared that I could gain back my weight by eating 8 ounces of the wrong types of food since I do not feel much restriction.

What do you think about the straw comment (getting air into your stomache)?

I think it is nonsense. But I am not a surgeon.

on a bite scale, how many bites is 8 ounces. i usally can do 3-4 bites , 5 im stuffed, 6 its comming back. i know gross. just curious how much is 8 ounces. i use straw alot. im 5 months post op ive lost 170 lbs since nov. 104 sice surgery on 4-20...good luck

Never heard of stretching because of a straw. I drink through a straw sometimes and I feel full quicker because of the air but the restriction is still there.

What types of foods are you eating, BTW?

I think for most people who can attribute their obesity to volume overeating 8 oz would be significant restriction! Bougie size is only part of what determines stomach size , length is just as important and sleeving does not change that. Not to sound cold but, it's done ! Start filling up on lean Protein rock that mutha. Btw I can eat 8-10 oz of yougart but barely 4 of chicken different foods fit better (sliders) so don't be discouraged! The straw theory sounds funny perhaps your nut doesn't burp!

I think for most people who can attribute their obesity to volume overeating 8 oz would be significant restriction! Bougie size is only part of what determines stomach size , length is just as important and sleeving does not change that. Not to sound cold but, it's done ! Start filling up on lean Protein rock that mutha. Btw I can eat 8-10 oz of yougart but barely 4 of chicken different foods fit better (sliders) so don't be discouraged! The straw theory sounds funny perhaps your nut doesn't burp!

I agree with this. No offense to NUT's but I've heard of them telling people things that don't even make sense. The NUT is not the surgeon. I'd ask the surgeon about it.

When were you sleeved? In all my research I've never heard of the straw theory. I have heard the carbonation in sodas can stretch you out over time. My surgeon used a 32 bougie so I can't get down anything more than 3 oz at a time.

Hi all...I am new her but I had my 1st year anniversary yesterday. The onlything I heard about drinking out of a straw was the air in stomach factor. I don't know much about it because I have never used one.

@ginni - I totally agree and I notice the same thing about certain foods filling me up faster. I can not eat Pasta for example - one bite of noodles and my sleeve is unhappy but I can eat chicken stir fry ( veggies not the rice so much ) and I do fine..

@thinner - I am only 2 months out and have lost 55lbs.. My advise is to stick to your Protein drinks and be mindful of the bad foods.. yes I think we will loose no matter what we eat right now, but I personally didn't go through all this just to keep the same bad eating habits and a year down the road start gaining back. Just because I CAN eat cheese cake doesn't mean I am gonna.. I eat cottage cheese instead. I would say try your best not to choose bad foods over good foods and see how you do.. and definitely start your day with Protein Drink and Vitamins, it totally helps me )

yup, thats all non-sense. The sleeve doesn't stretch. Docs advise no straws just after post op to prevent gas pressure. Thats all. After the healing phase you can go right back to straws

The sleeve can be streched and anyone that tells you it can not needs to go back to the surgen for training but air from a staw should not do the streching. The streching will come from constant force from too much solid food.< /p>

The sleeve can be streched and anyone that tells you it can not needs to go back to the surgen for training

Even the surgeons dont agree on this.

The sleeve can be streched and anyone that tells you it can not needs to go back to the surgen for training but air from a staw should not do the streching. The streching will come from constant force from too much solid food.

A person would be the floor in tear writhing pain to have a sleeve so full to the point of stretching it. The sleeve can't be stretched folks...I trust my surgeon and he is one of the top in the nation in VGS

My surgeon told me that the sleeve can be stretched...but the bypass is easier to stretch. Best to just follow the rules!

Thinner Peace,

When were you sleeved? I was told that when I am fully healed and all the swelling is gone my sleeve will be 8-10oz. No offense meant, your NUT is probably a great resource for knowing how to nourish your body properly with the restriction given, but he is wrong about stretching your sleeve by using a straw.

liquids are not affected by our restriction, and unless you found a way to suck a turkey through a straw, there is simply no way for a straw to cause your sleeve to stretch. Secondly you have to understand that your sleeve is not made out of the stretchy portion of the stomach like the pouch of an RNY patients is (this is where I think your NUTs misunderstanding is) instead it is the muscular portion of the stomach, not easy to stretch at all, yes, it can be done, but it takes a ton of abuse for this to happen.