Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Water ... Water

You are suppose to drink 8 cups of Water a day (or more). I have a 25 oz bottle and it is nothing for me to fill it up at least 3 times in my 8 hrs at work. Then go exercise with another half liter...come home and can drink another 2 - 3 bottles.

So tell me, can you actually drink too much Water? And if so, would there be any complications because of it?

If it has not dawned on you -- I love water :o:huh::P

Yes, you can drink too much Water and it can deplete your electrolytes. The best thing would be to ask you doc how much water is too much. :)

It is possible to suffer from Water intoxification but from what I've read it is very difficult to do. It usually happens to extreme endurance athletes who drink too much Water and do not take in any electrolytes. Otherwise, maybe if you were in a water drinking contest or something.

For me 64 ounces of water is not near enough. I was drinking 85-90 2 months post op and I was still dehydrated. I upped it to more like 120-145 and I feel much better.

It is possible to suffer from Water intoxification but from what I've read it is very difficult to do. It usually happens to extreme endurance athletes who drink too much Water and do not take in any electrolytes. Otherwise, maybe if you were in a water drinking contest or something.

For me 64 ounces of water is not near enough. I was drinking 85-90 2 months post op and I was still dehydrated. I upped it to more like 120-145 and I feel much better.

I was feeling sluggish and run-down until I began to drink about a gallon for a few days but that's when I started wondering if I might be drinking too much. Will check the doctor to get his input.

I was feeling sluggish and run-down until I began to drink about a gallon for a few days but that's when I started wondering if I might be drinking too much. Will check the doctor to get his input.

I think this is an individual thing. Doctors can give guidelines but if your body requires more Water than the norm or average, give it what it wants.

I think it depends how much yore sweating etc. It takes a lot to cause Water toxicity. We had a patient at work have it once, and he drank around 3 gallons in a very short time. He was 17 and about 6'6, he did wind up needing to be hospitalized. Can you cut your water with calorie free Gatorade? That may take the worry away from losing electrolytes.

I am so jealous of all of you who can drink so much Water. I can only get a few drinks before I burp up air. Then I feel full. It's a struggle to get all my food and fluids in. I usually end up getting 32-40oz of Water a day.

Sent from my iPhone using VST

I am so jealous of all of you who can drink so much Water. I can only get a few drinks before I burp up air. Then I feel full. It's a struggle to get all my food and fluids in. I usually end up getting 32-40oz of Water a day.

Sent from my iPhone using VST

It's hard but try to set times on yr phone and how much u want to drink, it helps.

I think it depends how much yore sweating etc. It takes a lot to cause Water toxicity. We had a patient at work have it once, and he drank around 3 gallons in a very short time. He was 17 and about 6'6, he did wind up needing to be hospitalized. Can you cut your Water with calorie free Gatorade? That may take the worry away from losing electrolytes.

How about sugar free gatorade? Do they make a s/f Gatorade? :o

I drink Powerade zero. I compared that to G2 and I can't remember the very slight difference (nothing major) but there was one. :)

Yea-it's called G2....tasty!

G2 isn't exactly sugar free, as it does contain sucralose, but it is a lot better than regular Gatorade. I drink a 32oz bottle of it a couple times a week, also Wal-Nart has is in dry single serving form each packet makes a 20oz bottle (I just mix it into a 700ml outlet water)