Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 Weeks Post Op And Sorry To Be Negative

I wish I would have learned to lose the weight on my own. I totally regret having this surgery. My life has yet to change for the better, only the worse. Can't socially enjoy myself with my friends and not losing the weight I thought I would lose. I know what everyone will say, be patient or you couldn't do it on your own. Well a lot of people have done it on their own. I was much happier 2 months ago than I am right now. This really sucks. I advise all that are considering to think long and hard. I was supposed to be sleeved in April, chickened out and did it in August. I knew I hesittated for a reason. Worse decision of my life. I wish it could be reversed.

Can I ask why you regret the surgery so much? All you listed in your post was that you can't enjoy yourself socially and that you haven't lost the weight you wanted to, but isn't 2 months too soon to measure anything? Doesn't your sleeve need time to adjust? I'm asking because I'm pre-op. I'm sorry you feel the way you do and I hope things get better.

It's great for some and not for others. If I knew I was going to lose weight this slow, I would have tried harder to do it on my own. I can barely eat 4oz of food and not losing much at all. These stalls are BS. How can you exercise and eat 700 calories a day and not lose weight??? A lot of mental anguish, missing out, and weird things happening to lose just a few pounds.

It sounds to me like you are missing all of the social and life aspects of food. This for me too is really lifechanging. You will NEVER be able to eating again like others. Think of this though if you did it on your own and wanted to be successful and maintain your weightloss the same would be true, or you would start to gain again. I too agree that two months out is too soon to judge. Please take a breath, think of why you did this, be good to your self, keep exercising and eating right................the weight WILL come off. Do something nice for yourself; massage, pedicure and get your head back into the right spacel. There is no turning back now so go forward down the right road.

Seems to me that if you are doing everything right that there is 34 lbs you will never have to worry about again..You are a success you know........place 34 lbs of butter on your kitchen table and you will see it as an accomplishment....I hope you are not weighing yourself every day wither....scales are for fish you know...lol...

Look no one ever said this was going to be easy for any one...I have only heard of 2 or 3 people that have sailed through it.....

But 34 lbs...less.....congratulations!

Not to be a party pooper, but 34 pounds off someone that was 385 is nothing. I can't even tell.

Not to be a party pooper, but 34 pounds off someone that was 385 is nothing. I can't even tell.

But you're only 3 weeks out from surgery (I thought it was 2 months but then I looked at your title again). Was all of that weight lost post-op or was some of it lost pre-op? Because 34lbs in 3 weeks is amazing!!!

I toatlly understand where you are coming from. I felt that exact same way at first but i promise it will get better. I'm 14 months out and can eat like a normal person, NOT like I ate before surgery, that wasn't normal. That was gluttony. I went through a terrible period of food mourning. I would literally cry at pizza commercials and watching diners, drive-ins and dives (BTW not a good idea immediately post op LOL). When you get enough weight off that you really are noticing it will all be worth it too. I still have days that I want to eat a lot like I use to and when that happens I just go in the bathroom and look at the size of whatever pants I have on that day and see a size 8 or 10 instead of a 20 and I feel all better.(true story lol).

Also maintaining the weight loss is a hugh issue for me. I could lose before but gain it all back in less time than it took to lose it. Since surgery I have been maintaining for about 7 mo now and eating whatever I want in moderation.

I hope you start feeling better. keep us posted. :)

And I'd I'm reading this correctly you're not 2 monta post op- but rather 3 weeks!?? Way too early (in my opinion) to judge just yet. I'm only one week post op and I share in mourning the foods and so sick of Clear Liquids right now. But I did this for a reason- no many reasons and I also prepped myself on this forum and research about what to expect. So while I also struggle at times, I think it's probabaly normal. Hang in there- from all the readings it will get better :)

At three weeks out, you are still healing. It takes time for all this to settle out. I was miserable food wise at three weeks. At this point you are either still on liquids or eating pureed? Maybe soft foods? I found the first month of food phases really difficult and while each day got better, even at about three months food was still a challenge and a bit of a chore. But what you will hopefully find (and remember your hormones still need to settle down, they get all screwed up from surgery) is that you will slowly stop mourning food and begin to realize the incredible power you have in that food no longer rules you! I remember being near tears in a restaurant with my family because I just wanted to order something I liked and eat it. Two bites of anything and I would feel sick. I was tired of Soup, tired of shakes, hated anything pureed etc. It was really hard. But as others have said, you WILL LOSE WEIGHT. I won't tell you to be patient, because I know how hard that is. I am not a patient person...but I will suggest you try to divert your focus onto other things. Keep yourself busy. Is there a project you have been wanting to work on in your house or your yard? Treat yourself well and try to do things that make you happy. This will get better. Hang in there! :)

I was regreting this for the first two weeks. I didn't fully realize how dependent I was on food to enrich my life. It truly is an adjustment and I really wished I hadn't done it. But then I was honest with myself I would not lose the weight on my own. As long as I could turn to food when things got tough I would. I relied on my Overeaters Annoymous experience I am a food addict and it is frustrating to be without your high. I was a dry drunk the first two weeks crying, pissed off, and disenchanted. But I couldn't discount that this surgery somehow cured me of my high blood pressure and it was easier to exercise afterwards. All addicts want what they want NOW! It's so frustrating not losing 50lbs in two days or 3 weeks but patience is virtue not usually bestowed to addicts. Take it one day at a time, this surgery is a tool not a cure. I realized after the surgery that the real surgery needs to be of the brain because that is where the illness really lives. But now I am accepting that this is a tool and I have an illness and I need to treat it. You may regret your surgery now and I know I did at one point but it is a huge adjustment period try to be patient with yourself.

Look at my post. Exactly the same feelings I still wish I would have tried harder on my own

But I am going to make the best of it on 24th I will be 2mnths post op eat whatever I want just smaller portions walking 1-2miles every morning. Feeling better day by day. Its hard but I am determined all this will not be for nothing. I really understand where u are coming from just read my blogs..........it gets better week by week not day by day.

When I decided to have the surgery I was fully prepared emotionally for the social issues as well as the changes in my life my Doctors office gave me alot of help in this matter. I gave myself three months (fortunately for me it was Jan-Feb-March in New England so I wasnt' missing much).

Now eight months out I am down nearly 80 lbs go out with my friends to dinner and drinks often and have managed to make it all work out just fine. And must admit it is so much more fun going out wearing a size 14 rather than a 24.

Give this time - don't be discouraged - trust me you will look back at all of this with only one question - why didn't I do this before.

Wow Linsey, very well said. I'm still pre-op, but of course I want to read about other's experiences in order to best prepare. I agree with you and I think I have the same problem. I am a stress eater and I think I eat when I'm bored. Even though I have a very active lifestyle, I still manage to eat things I probably shouldn't as I am sure we all do or did or we wouldn't be in this situation. Very insightful advice you gave.

@Mrtiger1 perhaps you can see a counselor to help you through this time? I was considering starting to talk to one now so that I'm prepared come surgery time because like you, I'm sure I will miss being able to eat what I want when I want. After reading Linsey's and other's notes about food addiction, I realized that what you are talking about is certainly my mentality too especially when I start putting weight back on rapidly (PCOS doesn't help!) after I had lost it on a diet. I want to do what others are doing, I want to eat what others are eating, I want to feel "normal" and just like everyone else. I'm starting to realize that feeling that way is normal, but is not what's going to help me maintain my loss after surgery. I think I will start to talk to someone now and perhaps it will help when I go through it. I wish you well and hope that in time you will feel differently. Consider seeing a counselor to help guide you through this rough patch. From what others are saying, I'm sure you will be happy when you see the changes and feel them! 34 lbs in a few weeks is great, don't lose sight of that!

Hang in there!

In less than a month you have lost almost 10% of your body weight. I think that's great.