Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pregnancy

I am scheduled to have surgery on Oct. 13th and I was wondering if anyone had gotten pregnant after having surgery (after the 12 to 18 month grace period of course) If so, how did your pregnancy go, any complications?

I am curious about this also. I was banded in August of 05 so it just over a year now and want to get pregnant in a few more months.

I did speak to one girl and the doctor's office when I went for my last fill and she was about 8 months pregnant. She said everything had been fine (that she actually had been able to get pregnant because of losing the weight) but that she had continued to lose weight during her pregnancy???? I don't know if that is healthy or not. I do know that the more overweight you are the less you are supposed to gain during the pregnancy but I don't know about losing weight. Like I said she was in her eighth month and was at the doctor's office to get an unfill because she needed more nutrition for the baby.

Hi Kstar - I'm currently pregnant and in my 8th month:preggers: . So far I have had no complications other than some heartburn at the beginning. I did have to have my band pretty much unfilled due to this but once that was done I was fine. Now, with the baby getting so big I have had some occasional port pain but I think that's just cause she's up there. Funny thing is prior to having the band I had tons of complications with my pregnancies (this is #5) includng high blood pressure but I have been fine. I really think that losing all that weight really contributed to it.

Thanks for the info Lioness, it makes me feel much better. I was really concerned about getting pregnant. I know I didn't want to at my current weight, that's why I am having the surgery. I am glad to hear that you are doing great!! Hope i will have the same luck as you later down the road.

I too am planing on having more children post-banding. There are many inspiring stories around LBT of band-babies, especially where fertility issues have been overcome with the help of lap-band surgery.

My surgeon says to wait at least 3 months after band surgery (for healing), and that once pregnant, that he will work with my ob/gyn to actively manage any nausea to avoid vomiting, and I will have an unfill early on so as not to be losing wieght during pregnancy. He will continue to work actively with my ob/gyn throughout the pregnancy to ensure the best outcome.

My surgeon and ob/gyn also said that a body weight loss of just 10% (20 to 30lbs) can send your fertility into overdrive - so look out post-banding or you might find yourself pregnant before you know it!

I was MO when I had my son 5 years ago, only about 30 lbs lighter than I am now. I actually lost weight during my pregnancy with him, mostly in the first trimester (30 lbs). I ended up only putting on about 12 lbs by the time I delivered, and walked out of the hospital 12 lbs lighter than when I fell pregnant. Pity I put it all back, with an extra 30 lbs, during the next twelve months nursing, and trying to get hormones back to normal. My ob/gyn isn't worried about pregnancy induced weight loss, providing that overall dietary intake is okay, and says it is normal for large women to lose weight during pregnancy.

However, the ob/gyn and lap surgeon have both said that they wouldn't be happy about band-related weight loss, particularly during early pregnancy, as this could be detrimental to the baby. They say there is research that suggests that inadequate dietry intake during the first trimester causes problems for the baby. Hence the early unfill.

I hope that my story and information is useful to you, but of course, you should get your own advice from your lap-band surgeon and ob/gyn, as your case will be different to my situation.

Good luck!

This all makes me feel better!! Gonna be skinny and then gonna have a baby....lol. Best wishes PinkMary!!

Little different story for me...

Was banded on April 18, 2006--got pregnant in May 2006. This was a HUGE whoops! I had just lost 25 lbs and was so, so, so looking forward to my first fill. I felt like the biggest idiot in the world? Who gets pregnat right after WLS? ***By the way, husband is getting "fixed" this fall. :)

But, as life has it, I never got a fill. I'm close to 6 months pregnant now and have gained about 15 of the 25 lost back. I have had NO issues/complications as of yet.

I just pray, pray, pray that my band will work for me after the baby's born and after I can get my first few fills. I just hope I haven't stretched the top part of my stomach out too much...

Blessings to you when you do try for your little one. They really are such blessings...

I was banded April 05 and am now 4 months pregnant. I lost about 145 lbs in my first year. To top it off, I became pregnant after suddenly having my own period for the first time in 4 years without meds.

Granted, my surgeon didnt want me to get pregnant for the first year.. and insisted I stayed on Birth Control till my year mark. It was 2 months of no BC I conceived on my first cycle.. after 5 years of trying. (even with clomid we had no luck)

I only had 1 cc taken out (by choice) of my VG band. My surgeon really saw no reason to take any out but I wanted to so I could take Vitamins with no problem. I havent gained any weight, lost a few pounds but my OB is not concerned at all.

Now.. if i could just afford to get plus size maternity clothes! I'm a size 24w and I cant seem to fit in my clothes anymore :P

I answered my own question 2 years later. I had a baby boy 4-18-08. Healthy as can be. I was sick for 9 mths, threw up almost everyday, not because of the band, just one of those crazy prego things. Have since lost lots of weight.

I answered my own question 2 years later. I had a baby boy 4-18-08. Healthy as can be. I was sick for 9 mths, threw up almost everyday, not because of the band, just one of those crazy prego things. Have since lost lots of weight.

Congratulations! I was banded 4/23 with the hopes of losing 107 lbs. I am almost 1/2 way there then I will try to have another baby.

Once again that is wonderful news and congratulations.

I just reached my 1st anniversary of having lap-bad surgery in August. Now I am thinking about having a child. Can anyone share their experiences with me in regards to having children after surgery? And what has been your experience in losing weight after you have the baby? My Doctor said that I should wait at least 18 months after surgery. Please advise