Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Whey Liquid Protein Shots - Which Are Best

A PDCAAS value of 1 is the highest, and 0 the lowest. The table shows the ratings of selected foods. [2] [3] [4] [5] 1.00 casein (milk protein) 1.00 egg white 1.00 soy Protein 1.00 whey (milk protein) 0.99 mycoprotein 0.92 beef 0.91 soybeans 0.78 chickpeas 0.76 fruits 0.75 black Beans 0.73 vegetables 0.70 Other legumes 0.59 cereals and derivatives 0.52 peanuts 0.42

whole wheat

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protein_Digestibility_Corrected_Amino_Acid_Score

Even though it's wikipedia, it's well-referenced.

Curious... anyone got a reference about the differences in whey Protein and casein Protein? They're both milk Proteins.

There is a significant difference between whey and casein protein. Whey protein is a fast digesting protein whereas casein is a slow digesting protein. Whey usually peaks in its release of amino acids and protein synthesis in about forty minutes with a total digestion at about an hour. Whereas casein protein will peak in its release of blood amino acids and protein synthesis in about four hours and can take up to seven hours for full digestion.

The ideal times to use whey Proteins are first thing in the morning and right after your work out. You would want to take a whey Protein shake first thing when in the morning when you wake up because your body has been feeding all night long and is completely depleted of all Vitamins and nutrients. Since whey is digested quickly it will bring the body back up into a normal level. You would then want to eat a Breakfast meal within 30 – 60 minutes of the shake. You would also want to take a whey Protein Shake immediately after your workout because you have just used up all of the body’s stored energy in order to handle the workload of your weight training program. Quick tip – make sure that your whey protein also has glutamine and amino acids in it for quality gains. Like Breakfast, you would want to eat a solid meal within 30-60 minutes of your workout.

Since casein protein is a slow digesting protein you would want to take this before you went to sleep. This will give a sustained release of protein and Vitamins throughout the night when you are sleeping preventing the body to feed off of your muscle that you have worked so hard to gain. This is really the only time that you would want to take a casein protein.

However, since everyone has a different lifestyle and schedule and not everyone can get every meal in, you could take a shake to help ensure that you are getting your protein and amino acids in. You would want to take it like this: 50/50 whey and casein blend. The whey is fast digesting fueling your body right away and the casein is slowly digesting giving a sustained release for a couple of hours. The casein protein is also thicker giving you a sense of satiety and not leaving you with hunger pains. Now this is not to be done on a regular basis as a Meal Replacement, as solid food is the best source of proteins, vitamins, minerals, fats, and carbohydrates. You want to try to get your solid meals in as often as you can.

So the Protein shots or drinks can't say collagen' date=' Gelatin or casein?[/quote']

The post above yours has a really good explanation of casein.

collagen aka Gelatin are garbage. Pretty much useless to the human body.

I have yet to find a whey product that I can drink. I've been told multiple times to get the premier shakes. So, I got some chocolate (that was all Sam's club had) and I sit there and gag with every sip of it.

This morning it was ice cold, with a straw in a covered cup so I don't have to smell it and I still can't choke it down. I broke the straw rule thinking it would keep me from smelling it and bypassing a lot of the taste buds. I drank 1/2 before I just couldn't do any more.

They just taste so gaggy!!!!!

Have you tried it at room temp? I know you are 4 months out, but when I was early, room temp was the only way I could drink them. Still drink them today ... had one for breakfast.

It may just be one of those things you are going to need to acquire a taste for. If you can't, you are going to need to find another way to get your Protein in. Otherwise, you may have considerable muscle loss in this whole process.

I am 2 months out and not getting my Protein in, or my fluids. If i force myself I end up gagging or I slime. That's why I was wondering about the Protein Shots. Hoping i could take it like liquid medicine (shot) and be done.

I haven't been taking Vitamins because they tear my stomach up (i guess from being empty).

I've tried so many Protein drinks and nothing agrees with me. Cold, warm, mixed, room temp, straw, w/o straw. Very frustrating. I've lost alot of weight (a good chunk has to do with the extreme stress I'm dealing with right now) and I've gone full days without eating or drinking any more than 8 ounces. Needless to say I'm tired. when I do eat I try to eat fish or chicken but I know it's not enough.

Keep hoping if i can atleast get my Protein in everything else will start to fall into place.