Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post Op September Sleevers, Roll Call

LOL, Gypsy! There are many many people who claim to be who they are not. It is a shame really. Like the Bible says, "you will know them by their fruits"..... And I am and expert fruit inspector, ha ha ha.

Hey Ladies- This is some great info I got from my nutritionist! Thought I would share.

Food choices:

Making good food choices is a challenge in a world filled with food that is not good.

After weight loss surgery good food choices include foods that are mechanically filling (lean, solid protein) and foods that are filling with fewer calories – fruits, vegetables, whole grains, low fat dairy.

Bad food choices are foods that are not mechanically filling (high calorie liquid/mushy, crunchy) and foods that are very calorie dense – crackers, chips, Cookies, cheese, nuts, Peanut Butter, bacon, trail mix, granola, etc. Eating these things can very easily add hundreds of calories per day to your diet.

One single serving size bag of chips per day for a year equals 30 pounds worth of calories. An equal amount of carrots for a year is only about 2 pounds worth of calories.

For more on food choices after bariatric surgery, see my recent blog post.

Food journaling:

Many studies show that people who track their food intake lose more weight. Why? Education and accountability.

The new online food journals are great because you can enter the foods you eat on your phone quickly and easily over the course of your day, and you can see the nutritional content of your diet – calories, fat, Protein, sugar, etc. Bad choices quickly become very obvious.

If you haven’t ever used one of these online food journals, give it a try. I would recommend My Fitness Pal.

Behavior Modification:

To change behaviors we discussed:

1) Control home environment

Eliminate problem foods from house, etc

2) Control work environment

Bring lunch, chew gum/drink Water to prevent snacking, etc

3) Control meal time environment

Sit at table, serve portion away from table to make getting second portion more difficult

4) Daily food management

Small plates/utensils, etc

5) Shopping

Don’t shop when hungry, only buy what is on list, etc

6) Preparation

Chew gum when preparing to discourage snacking, etc

7) Eating

Put utensil down between bites, etc

“I can eat too much”

This is a common complaint. We discussed that the purpose of surgery is not to make it so you can’t eat too much. The purpose of surgery is to make it so you can eat less but still feel satisfied.

Interesting information Parker, thanks. I still have to add in some healthy fats, even nuts...about once a week. They are full of goodness.

I'm thrilled! Got on the scale this morning....will be 5 months out from surgery tomorrow and I'm down 80 pounds!!! That's more than my nine year old son! I've lost a small person! Can hardly believe it! I haven't been this light in over a decade. Not that I'm a feather, mind you....but I'm not unhappy about the progress. Pretty sure that adding the strength training has helped the blasted scale move. Hey whatever works to keep it moving, I'm cool with that! Not happy about the Hair loss thing...but I'm just gonna hang in there until it comes back....the hair, not the fat!

Interesting information Parker' date=' thanks. I still have to add in some healthy fats, even nuts...about once a week. They are full of goodness.

I'm thrilled! Got on the scale this morning....will be 5 months out from surgery tomorrow and I'm down 80 pounds!!! That's more than my nine year old son! I've lost a small person! Can hardly believe it! I haven't been this light in over a decade. Not that I'm a feather, mind you....but I'm not unhappy about the progress. Pretty sure that adding the strength training has helped the blasted scale move. Hey whatever works to keep it moving, I'm cool with that! Not happy about the Hair loss thing...but I'm just gonna hang in there until it comes back....the hair, not the fat![/quote']

Congratulations!!! These weight loss numbers seem surreal. To think that a year ago, I couldn't lose 5 lbs. To hear numbers of 30, 40, 50....now is amazng!

Interesting information Parker' date=' thanks. I still have to add in some healthy fats, even nuts...about once a week. They are full of goodness.

I'm thrilled! Got on the scale this morning....will be 5 months out from surgery tomorrow and I'm down 80 pounds!!! That's more than my nine year old son! I've lost a small person! Can hardly believe it! I haven't been this light in over a decade. Not that I'm a feather, mind you....but I'm not unhappy about the progress. Pretty sure that adding the strength training has helped the blasted scale move. Hey whatever works to keep it moving, I'm cool with that! Not happy about the Hair loss thing...but I'm just gonna hang in there until it comes back....the hair, not the fat![/quote']

So happy for you! Tomorrow is 5 months for me. Down 63 lbs from surgery or 70 from my all time high of 250lbs! I can't believe how great I feel, more energy, much less anxiety and depression and certainly more participatory in my life!! Congrats!

Congrats to everyone for their weight loss...can you believe it! It seems surreal to me. i'm not afraid to get on the scale, even if I'm up a lb or 2, I know it will eventually go down...how great is that! I love my sleeve!!!!!!

I hear you Gypsy! Worked my butt off, low carbing and treadmill and lifting and I might lose a little, damn little (pardon my language). But nothing like this. People would just tell me "you just need to eat right and exercise, blah, blah, blah". I did, and I did. Fat lot of good it ever did me.

I'm excited and totally freaked out by it all. I took my kids out to dinner last night, and I'm just watching them eat (now understand that they are normal, not overweight in the slightest), and I said to them, "I can't believe the amount of food you guys can put away!" I got the "MOM!!" But really, it would have taken me 3 or more days to eat what they did. And I can't believe the amount of food that I can live on. It's appalingly small. This sleeve is rocking! My oldest son, who hasn't seen me since May of 2012, and won't see me again until May of 2014, is going to FREAK OUT when he does. That's going to be hysterical!!!!

Today a friend of mine has a little 3 year old girl that is going around asking everyone if there is a baby in their tummy (because we have another friend who is pregnant), anyway, she asked me that question today....and I think the mom started to wig out --- but I was fine. I didn't go home feeling embarrassed or upset with myself or anything like I normally would have. Because I KNOW that there is 80 pounds less of me walking around this planet and it is FREAKING AWESOME!

I hear you Gypsy! Worked my butt off' date=' low carbing and treadmill and lifting and I might lose a little, damn little (pardon my language). But nothing like this. People would just tell me "you just need to eat right and exercise, blah, blah, blah". I did, and I did. Fat lot of good it ever did me.

I'm excited and totally freaked out by it all. I took my kids out to dinner last night, and I'm just watching them eat (now understand that they are normal, not overweight in the slightest), and I said to them, "I can't believe the amount of food you guys can put away!" I got the "MOM!!" But really, it would have taken me 3 or more days to eat what they did. And I can't believe the amount of food that I can live on. It's appalingly small. This sleeve is rocking! My oldest son, who hasn't seen me since May of 2012, and won't see me again until May of 2014, is going to FREAK OUT when he does. That's going to be hysterical!!!!

Today a friend of mine has a little 3 year old girl that is going around asking everyone if there is a baby in their tummy (because we have another friend who is pregnant), anyway, she asked me that question today....and I think the mom started to wig out --- but I was fine. I didn't go home feeling embarrassed or upset with myself or anything like I normally would have. Because I KNOW that there is 80 pounds less of me walking around this planet and it is FREAKING AWESOME![/quote']

Like like like LIKE!

Busting my butt 5 days a week 1 1/2 hours a day things like Elliptical treadmill bike circuit training Kettlebell workouts. I was sleeved 9/26/12 and only down 36 lbs started at 244. I am the slowest out of the group and I have busted my butt from day1. How I wish I could had lost like you all but I'm happy that I have lost :) even if is slow as crap lol Now lets all keep it up summer will be here soon :)

Sent from my iPhone using VST

I'm with you ArtSong, I was sleeved 9/14/12 and am down 54 lbs and I was really happy with that, 3 weeks ago! scale has not moved in three weeks and I'm worried that I'm doing something wrong! I still getting in all my Protein and Water and eating around 800 calories, and I know stalls happen and to be patient but to get on the scale and find it has not moved is upsetting! I could up my exercise, only getting to walk 3 days a week or so plus some strength training at home due to my work schedule and my kids activites schedule. This stall has me feeling really down!

I was in a 7 week stall not to long ago talk about a pita. I lost 4 lbs then was back in a stall then 1lb a week from then on. Iol

Sent from my iPhone using VST

I'm with you ArtSong, I was sleeved 9/14/12 and am down 54 lbs and I was really happy with that, 3 weeks ago! scale has not moved in three weeks and I'm worried that I'm doing something wrong! I still getting in all my Protein and Water and eating around 800 calories, and I know stalls happen and to be patient but to get on the scale and find it has not moved is upsetting! I could up my exercise, only getting to walk 3 days a week or so plus some strength training at home due to my work schedule and my kids activites schedule. This stall has me feeling really down!

I been feeling the same way, long stall and the same 3 or 4 lbs keep cycling through the scale - lose them and gain them back. Very frustrating! I started doing the "couch to 5K" training thinking that might kick the lbs but nope. I'll try adding more weight training next week.

momof way to go girl. :)