Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Soon Post Op Could You Have Protein Shakes?

I had my surgery on Friday September 14th in Mexico.. came home with a post op diet that doesn't mention Protein much LOL anyway I've noticed that post op diets vary incredibly from one surgeon to the next and I'm wondering if any of y'all were allowed full liquids (protein shakes) in the first week after surgery? I'm still doing Clear Liquids as suggested on MY doctor's paperwork.. thanks!

I started mine the day of surgery!! Ha! I'm 12 days post op and my doctor wanted me to start each day with a Protein drink! I'll tell you I feel much better having the protein.... How are you getting your Protein in?

If you are able to get all your hydration, I'd start Protein immediately.

They gave me a Protein Drink in the hospital about 6 hours after my surgery, whey Protein isolate with Water is considered a clear liquid. My doctor had me work to "drinking" up to 60-70g of protein every day immediately after surgery. I used the Unjury and nectar brands that come in powder form and you mix with water, broth, juice, or milks in a Blender Bottle. He encouraged me to make sugar free Jello with the unflavored protein to even get a boost in my snacks!

Had one on the way back to my hotel from surgery. I was outpatient. So, go ahead and start.

I had Clear Liquids for 4 days, with full liquids days 5-14.

oh thanks guys SOOOOOOOOO much for this input!!! we all know that Protein is HUGE for healing and energy as well as basic body function so I was pretty surprised that I wasn't encouraged to try it until 10 days out!! then again, every doctor is SO different.

I just made a very thinned out vanilla nectar shake with Water and it is SO wonderful LOL I'm going SUPER slow with it. I've noticed that if I have even one sip too many my mouth starts watering uncontrollably.. so far that's my only cue that I'm "full". I've been making sure I don't take in more than like 2 ounces in 20-30 minutes just to be safe especially since I'm only day 5 post op..

Again, thanks for the feedback!!! I'm grateful to add in Protein to all the broth and Water and juice I've been sipping!

Nursgirl - who did your surgery in Mexico?

Dr ponce de leon did mine :)

I'm on clear liquids still and will be for two weeks post op. ended up in hospital due to dehydration. I did get the ok to add Protein Shake a day and also strongly encouraged to add unflavored Protein to my clear liquids.

Day after surgery... it's amazing how different each post op is so different makes you wonder who is really right

I was Mexico also and I was Days 1-7, at least 3 days Only Clear Liquids I could start drinkable yogurt day 3.

Day 7-21 I could start Liquid Protein and to get at least 30g a day

Day 7-11 add creamy Soups

day22-28 soft foods. tuna, cottage cheese, oatmeal, apple sauce, pudding, puree veggies, mashed potatoes.

I had surgery on the 10th and just started full liquids today. Can hardly get in one Protein Shake. Had a little bit of Tomato Soup made with milk so probably 40 grams today. With all this protien now hard to get in Water. I know it will get better each day. I say stick to what your surgeon recommends he knows best.