Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Things You Can Never Have Again With Sleeve :(

BrickHouse- Looove it!

OTR- what a great idea! I'm adding it to my new "recipe" file!

I was a HuGE pepsi addict but I was able to wean myself by gradually substituting crystal lite drinks made a little stronger. They fill my mouth with the type of intense flavor I got from the pepsi minus the carbonation and caffeine. I am proud to say I have not had a pepsi in about a month now AND have NO desire for one!

I was a huge coke drinker. Also a huge coke user (a long time ago in a far off galaxy). Wait don't judge let me finish......I remembered something I heard at a 12 step meeting "try our way for 90 days if you want your old life back it will be there waiting for you" so knowing they would be making coke well into the future I promised 90 days to myself and haven't looked back.90 days out fat was dripping off me like a pig in an oven and I wasnt gonna mess that up . Now I honestly see it for what it is 12 teaspoons of sugar in a can with bubbles and some other crap' date=' gotta pass on that. I guess it comes down to this "nothing is going to change till ya change it" . so to answer your question yes you can; taper off , Water it down , cold turkey. Just decide you will stop and make a plan![/quote']

Great response!

[*]Shortness of breath from just turning yourself over in bed

[*]Arms that are too short to clean yourself properly

[*]Clothing sizes that begin with X

[*]Shame when you hear the whispers and giggles behind your back

[*]The appetite of three people

Love this!

And I'll add:

Never being concerned if I fit in the turnstile

Never needing a seatbelt extender on airplanes again

Never being afraid to sit on someone's dining room chair

I just want to make an observation.I see alot of people saying they dont drink or eat anything with artificial sweetners,but they cant drink plain Water without crystal light,just exactly do you all think is in crystal light? Its artificial sweetners!

Just saying.....

Seems like I can manage with the sleeve. I am hoping for a late Feb. Date

i think lissa answered this question well and someone else did too. its not so much as what you cant have but its more of what you dont want. i was addicted to pepsi & juice before. id drink about 3 cups if juice a day & 2-3 cups of pepsi a day. im now 10 months post op & too much sugar makes me nauseous (juice) & i stopped soda pre op & have no desire to try it!

you get to a point where you try some things & it makes you sick so you no longer crave it but if you do, you try it again & learn the hardway until you no longer want it.

i can sip juice but after a few sips, im like blaaaaah! too much sugar. i like to stick to Water.

It's a miracle really, how you don't even WANT some of the things that you used to.

If I want a bite of a "goodie." rarely- I have it. If it's a goodie that I used to gorge on- I don't even want it...I'm afraid to let those little things sneak in.

Do I like the idea of a big cheesesteak on a huge roll with cheese fries- yes.

But I'm free from really obsessing about it. The roll could be scooped out and

I could have a fry or two- if I wanted. Someday. But I choose to maximize this ultimate losing time in the first year by making better choices. Honestly we can't eat all that much and have this amazing satisfaction from the little amount.

Funny story. I was in Trader Joe's and they had a medicine sample cup of a fancy shrimp dish. Haha-Dinner! It's pretty awesome to fill up on hardly anything but also get the delicious taste and not feel deprived. I'm happy.

I was talking to this person who happens to be a WW coach yesterday and he asked how I handle the cravings with such little food and I'm like..you don't have them because you're free from that constant hunger/want for food-- the ghrelin- appetite/hunger hormone, is gone.

So strange how life is now...

I am a little over 10 months post op. In that time I have MAYBE taken the equivalent of 1/2 cup of diet soda. My favorite soda was mountain dew- but the diet version is gross so I just don't bother with it. I do drink a medium light ice coffee with equal almost everyday from Dunkin Donuts. It's my guilty pleasure of the day and helps keep me regular in other ways.

I'm about 18 months out and have been at goal for 6 months. It took a while, but I can eat anything I ate pre-op. I choose to avoid a lot of pre-op choices to keep my weight at goal, but I occasionally enjoy them. For example, candy. I rarely eat it now, but I do occasionally. Same with chips and garlic bread. I am able to enjoy spicy foods, greasy foods, super sour foods, etc. I drink with a straw, especially at night because I'm too lazy to sit up in bed to get a drink.

I love the sleeve!

Lynda

I really like the Powerade zero...I drink with ice and a straw. I like pop before but was not addicted. However, I wasn addicted to coffee....and I have yet to have a cup almost 5 weeks post-op. Think of it often and grab my powerade...:) Sometimes the sleeve makes the decision easier to not do what you want...LOL

[*]Shortness of breath from just turning yourself over in bed

[*]Arms that are too short to clean yourself properly

[*]Clothing sizes that begin with X

[*]Shame when you hear the whispers and giggles behind your back

[*]The appetite of three people

FABULOUS!! :} I love this reply!!

weight.png 347*294/285/135 (*347HW/294SSW)

I see this thread is very old, but posting anyways. I am thinking about having the sleeve surgery done, one thing I am wondering about, is can you still drink alcohol after surgery if its not carbonated?

@troyg I think it’s up to the advice of your surgeon because many are different. But from what I have read on these forums and others, and knowing people who have been sleeved, it is possible. Some people start sooner than owners, some people wait a long time, some never do. I think the most important thing to keep in mind is that alcohol can lead to unneeded calories and also making poor decisions when you are under the influence - like eating foods that are bad for you. But it seems like plenty of people still do it.
I was initially turned off of the sleeve because they said no bubbly drinks at all again ever, and I love an occasional glass of bubbly. But the more I learned, the more I realized how there were so many greater benefits, and the reality is that if I really want one glass at brunch or at a wedding, I can. It’s not like it’s out forever. It’s just rethinking why we make the choices we do!

8 hours ago, Troyg said:

I see this thread is very old, but posting anyways. I am thinking about having the sleeve surgery done, one thing I am wondering about, is can you still drink alcohol after surgery if its not carbonated?

I would go by what your physician/nutritionist tell you. As with many other aspects, presumably guidance will vary.

In my case, I was told no alcohol for 1 year following surgery. Also, if you have lost a lot of weight, and due to the changes in your system, inebriation may hit you much faster and more severely than prior to surgery. Carbonation is a lifetime no-no. I think I've had 2 partial cups of soda in 8 months. I wouldn't have believed it prior to surgery, but I don't miss soda. I now drink unsweet/diet tea and zero-sugar Vitamin waters instead.

One thing that I have found incredibly difficult is locating low-calorie noncarbonated energy drinks. They just don't exist. EVERYTHING in the energy drink space is carbonated. Rockstar Recovery Lemonade was a Godsend and I was ordering 3 cases every 2 months... until 2 months ago when Pepsi changed the formula and made it carbonated. Bastards.

If you are looking for a low calorie energy drink look into the Advocare Spark drink. It is high in Vitamins with some caffeine, non carbonated and only 15 calories per serving. I love the mandarin orange flavor but they have many flavors.