Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Robotic Sleeve? Anyone

My doctor just called me and wanted to know if I wanted to have me sleeve done robotic...I have no idea if that's safe I've never heard of it, I told him I'll get back to him...someone please help!

In CT we have the Da'Vinci robot, one incision surgery. Less pain quicker recovery. The down sides are the same for a traditional lap sleeve. Only thing is the procedure is pretty new, how much experience do these sugeons have with it and what is their complication rate.

My surgery was done by the Davinci Robot. I have 5 small incisions (most about 1/4 inch - one about 1 inch...where they pull your stomach out). I honestly had no pain and a super quick recovery. Id recommend it.

I just watched a video about it on youtube. I'm not having it done but I will be having the single incision surgery where they go through the belly button. I'm kind of scared of the robot thingy lol

Wow, my first thought is WHY? I mean the supposed advantage over traditional lap surgery for other surgeries being done robotically is supposed to be accuracy, like in prostate surgery so as to not damage surrounding nerves. This requirement is just not there for a VSG. It's pretty simple, place the stapler along side the bougied stomach and pull the trigger.

I get a nagging feeling that someone just wants to play with his new robot - and possibly help make payment son it. Just MHO though.

Wow' date=' my first thought is WHY? I mean the supposed advantage over traditional lap surgery for other surgeries being done robotically is supposed to be accuracy, like in prostate surgery so as to not damage surrounding nerves. This requirement is just not there for a VSG. It's pretty simple, place the stapler along side the bougied stomach and pull the trigger.

I get a nagging feeling that someone just wants to play with his new robot - and possibly help make payment son it. Just MHO though.[/quote']

Hmmm...i have the same feeling

bmi.png

I'm having my gall bladder removed by Da 'Vinci in November. Surgeon has been doing it for about a year. Its supposed to be much faster w easier recovery.

My surgery was done by the Davinci Robot. I have 5 small incisions (most about 1/4 inch - one about 1 inch...where they pull your stomach out). I honestly had no pain and a super quick recovery. Id recommend it.

Why would there be less pain?

Is that the same as laparoscopic? I assume it is because laparoscopic is with 6 tiny incisions. I thought that was the norm????? My dr has a website with videos and they all show with the small incisions vs cutting u open. My mom had gastric bypass this way. She said bc of that they blow u up to see. She had bad gas. Anyone experience that?

Yes, it is laparoscopicly done which means it is done using tiny incisions, the abdomen puffed up using CO2 gas and operating at the end of small arms - as opposed to an OPEN type surgery, cutting you open and using his hands.

The robot adds another level to the laproscopic procedure, the thing isn't what most would refer to as a "true robot" - it's not like Bender or CP3O running around doing the operation. It's more a of a delicate and precise remote control, the "robot" isn't doing anything autonomously, it evens out and controls the surgeons movements to make it more precise. In the example I gave above a prostatectomy is done commonly with these "robots", too much rooting around with tools or a sudden slip and your manhood is a shriveled up history (did you guys just pucker up while reading that, I did while writing it :) )

From what I've seen the VSG is pretty simple, look for videos on Youtube for it, I don't mean that it's so simple that I can do it myself, it's still a highly skilled surgical procedure, it's just tat there doesn't seem to be much involved that really warrants it's delicacy OR expense - and YES there is a premium up-charge on robotic surgery. I have a friend who just had his prostate removed roboticaly and the insurance would NOT pay for the difference over traditional surgery, he had to cough up the difference himself.

With the less movements and poking around of the robot I suppose pain would be a bit less and healing a tad quicker.

I mean there is certainly no harm in doing it this way, I just really have to question the possible motives for doing it.

Here's a comparison, I had robotic assisted laparoscopic surgery in May, went back to work after 2 weeks. I just had a single incision laparoscopic gastrectomy in August, and I'm going back to work after 3 weeks. I'm an OR nurse, so I went back to work with no restrictions. I can't say there is any difference in the recovery. What was interesting was that my copay was higher for the non-robotic surgery, go figure.

I had my nutrition class today and I was able to talk to the doctor that's performing my surgery, he said he would be using the Di Vinci machine. He said that there would still Be a team of doctors but he would be controlling the machine himself through a computer, he also said the machine is more precise because it can twist and turn its arms more ways than a human arm and it's more controlled and in the event that The doctors should have to take over they can just lift the Di Vinci up and continue to use the same opening the machine was using. The machine also double staples so you have a lower risk of leaks. Thanks everyone for your input it was very helpful, I feel more at ease now with having a robotic assisted surgery..

Umm, AFAIK the stasndard for ANY VSG is TRIPLE row staples, while I readily admit that I am not an expert what he is telling you just does not add up. Yes, the control is finer but with a VSG there is just not THAT MUCH control needed. As long as you are happy and peaceful with the decision then go for it.

Is there a cost difference that you will have to bear?

I had my nutrition class today and I was able to talk to the doctor that's performing my surgery' date=' he said he would be using the Di Vinci machine. He said that there would still Be a team of doctors but he would be controlling the machine himself through a computer, he also said the machine is more precise because it can twist and turn its arms more ways than a human arm and it's more controlled and in the event that The doctors should have to take over they can just lift the Di Vinci up and continue to use the same opening the machine was using. The machine also double staples so you have a lower risk of leaks. Thanks everyone for your input it was very helpful, I feel more at ease now with having a robotic assisted surgery..[/quote']

The staplers are no different, but he was trying to say that because of the robot's accuracy versus a surgeon's hands, there is less risk of poor staple placement. I would've been sure to ask how much experience he's had with the robot, that's important. Good Luck!

I have BCBS of Michigan and my copay is only $250 for the year which has been met through x-rays and blood test that my family physician gave me.