Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

LUMP in throat

Am I dying again? I got a major lump in my throat after my 2nd bite of chicken, which I eat all the time. All I had this morning was my coffee and a runny Protein shake, plus all my Water. I stopped drinking 1/2 hour before lunch (good band girl.) Did all the meds & antibiotics give me a throat ulcer (must think the worse at all times.)

I cheated and ate a fruit cup after my chicken so the mushy fruit would wash the bird down, then had a couple sips of the juice from the fruit cup (bad band girl) to get the food past my throat. It's like my stoma is in my throat instead of my belly. What's up with that??

It's been 1/2 hour since I ate but I still can't seem to swallow this lump. Boo hoo, whoa is me.

Am I supposed to feel sudden restriction in my throat where I swallow?

Since my fill I get this feeling often..the past two days have been more noticeable then ever and my fill was 2 weeks ago.

My lump usually goes away after 3-4 minutes. I have no idea if it is normal. I'm new to this

Maybe your throat implant is eroding.... lol :D

Sweetheart!!!!!!!!!!!!! What you are experiencing is RESTRICTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is what banded people search for! But see, this is what happens when you get restriction too quickly - your mind isn't ready for it.

This is how small your pouch is - a bite or two of chicken. Chew chew chew chew, eat slowly slowly slowy.

Practice that, and eventually you will probably be able to eat a little more than two bites without feeling the lump.

I personally think "two bites and I'm done" is too tight, but you're going to have to learn to work it since you have no options for a slight unfill, Miss Portless. :D

You got a good fill. YOU ARE A FULL FLEDGED BANDSTER!!!!!!!

:banana :banana :banana

OH MY GOD, I have restriction? Yes, yes, I ate the first couple bites like I was eating last week.

So my band slipped and got caught in my throat and is now eroding? And I'm dying?

But why the lump in the throat?

Lump in throat - good thing.. made me not eat much more.

Why the throat?

1,2 cha-cha-cha - DOING THE RESTRICTION DANCE

First I ate one of Jon's potato chip standing up while waiting for my chicken to warm, then at the first couple bites too fast. I'll do the slow-down thingy. I'm having a lot of love at the moment, thanks babies!

Well, I think I need some restriction. I've been so hungry lately. I've been snacking inbetween meals (very, very bad.) My psyc (sp?) hunger is trying to take over.

But why the lump in the throat?

When your pouch is full, and the food you ate is going through slower than the food you are eating, there is no place else for it to go but to back up into your throat. The band is WAAAAAAY stronger than the push down motion of your esophagus, so in the battle between the band and the throat, the throat loses. Hence the feeling of a lump, or in severe cases, the feeling that an elephant is sitting on your chest. If the existing food in the pouch does not go through fast enough to relieve that feeling, the body starts producing huge amounts of saliva to help slick things through, which makes it worse, 'cause there's no place for the saliva to go if you swallow it. So if you start "sliming", spit the slime out, don't swallow. If the feeling doesn't go away in a timely fashion, you will usually end up throwing up what's in your pouch.

Throwing up is to be avoided as much as humanly possible, as throwing up is directly related to increased slippage rates.

Almost everyone throws up occasionally (less than once a month), but any more than that and you should really make an effort to be more careful.

People who are throwing up everyday, or even multiple times a day, are on a collision course with slippage. If you are throwing up that much, YOU ARE TOO TIGHT. And you MUST get at least a small unfill, and probably a total unfill to let everything settle down and heal.

What Donali said. I'd just also point out that this is the famous "golf ball" feeling you may have seen mentioned here and there.

But Donali explained it beeeeeeeeeyuuuuuuuuutifully. :D

Hey all,

During the last month I probably have PB'ed on an average of once a week or every 7 to 10 days. Since I am also still losing and eating between 1200 and 1600 calories a day it would seem to me that I still have some restriction even without a fill. A person wouldn't PB if they had no restriction would they? I definitely try to avoid it as much as possible. Every once in awhile I have a brain fart and try to eat the first few bites too fast. It seems more likely to happen if it is something fairly solid like steak, chicken etc. I think the frequency will definitely decrease as I get more experienced. Thanks for the info, Teresa

Silly me posted elsewhere that I'm still waiting for the lump answer.

Thank you... this was not my first lump, but my worst lump. I'm feeling very high on life today realizing that I have restriction. And the purple bra is adding more restriction by mushing my fat sides into the cups giving me nice hooters.

Thanks Alex, yes, more like a golfball or a hardboiled egg than an actual lump.

But wait a minute... my pouch was empty. All that was in there was a broken potato chip. Just one fraction of one. That's some fancy restriction, eh?

And I've never PB'd. Maybe just a tiny bit of slime, but I thought it was allergies. No food has ever come back up.

I think I need a real PB to feel like a real bandster.

This is just a guess, and may be wildly off base scientifically. But I think that when something gets stuck in our esophagus it can create the golf-ball feeling long after whatever is in the pouch has gone on its merry way. It's probably a good idea at that point to try to wash it through. Don't try that immediately when it happens because you'll just PB the Fluid right up, but in an hour or so if it hasn't gone away try sipping something.

The last PB I had was the day before my last fill. It was horrible, the seaweed incident, remember? It wasn't until almost 40 minutes after I stopped eating that it came back up, although I was gagging on saliva in the interim.

Not fun. :D You're not missing anything. (But I remember my first one, too, like it was some sort of achievement badge. We all know how you feel.)

I think I need a real PB to feel like a real bandster.

YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING? No one should want a PB. LOLOLOL!!! IT ain't fun believe me. I have done it a couple of times and it is just because I tried to eat something I knew when I was eating I had NO business trying to eat. LOL!!

Also, the only other time is I tried to eat way way way too fast and did not chew properly. That is the big thing to remember at every meal. Chew Chew Chew and take your time. Neither you nor the food are going anywhere.

Lisa,

You MAY BE certifiable. You just crack me up. Chew well, dear. You have no other choice.

Sue