Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Are You Feeding Your Family This Week?

What is on your menu next week to eat? I'm trying to plan my grocery list and am fresh out of ideas. I try to cook something that I can eat along with them with minor adaptations. For example, if they are having tacos I would have small taco salad or if I'm making them pizza I make me a tortilla pizza using a whole wheat low carb tortilla.

I would love some new ideas for family meals that I can eat at least part of. I stick to low carb overall.

I make spaghetti bolognaise and then I just have the meat sauce with some parmesan.

I will make a casserole in the slow cooker (it is still winter here, one more week till spring) and while they will have mashed potatoes or bread I just have the meat and veg.

I make chilli and then they can have tortillas or nachos or whatever and I just have the chilli with a bit of cheese.

I do make the Emily bites 'cupcakes' and everyone loves them.

I will make a chicken chasseur with mushrooms, spinach and some sweet potato. I can only eat very little of this though for some reason.

I grill lamb leg steaks and just have the meat while others have potatoes and veg.

I occasionally have a good quality steak, eye fillet usually and grass fed, and again I just have the meat and make sides for others.

I have made small meatballs with minced venison and had these with a dipping sauce and the family can have pita bread and salad to fill.

I make curries often and just don't have the rice or noodles.

The options really are endless it just means stepping outside the rut we find ourselves in. I enjoy the recipes on www.healthyfood.co.nz and adjust to remove or lower the carb for my own portion.

You can check out these web-sites too. I use them and they're from folks who have had Sleeve surgery or one of the other...

www.emilybites.com (this is my fave)

www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

you may have to adjust the recipe depending what stage you're in. There are more but I can't remember them at this moment.

hope this helps you. :)

My husband has a crazy work and tennis schedule, so he doesn't have dinner home too often (thank god!) My "kids" are adults now The oldest is living on her own. The youngest lives home, and was sleeved a month before me. Soooo, what to fix for others is a non-issue. I like some of the suggestions LouiseC had!

I grill turkey burgers, bake steak fries, salad and a fresh fruit. I have the turkey burger without bun, a very small baked potato with greek yogurt and 1/4 to 1/2 a fresh fruit. I also do the tacos, using lean ground turkey, fat free organic refried Beans, whole grain taco shells for my boys...i forego the taco shells and just have the meat, a tiny bit of refried beans, with greek yogurt and mango salsa.

I wandered around the supermarket last night to get some ideas. I didn't take the kids or hubby so no one was rushing me or begging for treats.

• a turkey breast (will do in the crock pot)
  • some small steaks
  • pork loin (for the smoker)
  • orange roughy filets
  • shrimp
  • grapes for the kids
  • 2 lbs of strawberries (I clean them and freeze them)
  • canned turkey chili (24 grams of Protein per cup and 98% fat free!)
  • produce: zucchini, bell pepper, mushrooms, onion, carrots, celery, tomatoes & lettuce
  • fat free, low sodium chicken stock

I already had chicken breast, ground turkey breast, ground beef and a roast in the freezer plus our usual supply frozen veggies and fruit and dry goods that the family can eat. This should give us plenty of things to cook that are "sleeve friendly" and keep us all at the table eating similar meals.

I have done:

meat loaf

Emily's cupcakes

Baked Fish

tuna salad-i hv put tsp mayo or spinach dip in it

Tacos

Roast

chicken breast

Lean turkey burgers (no bun, season & melt cheese)

Avacodos

**I grill onions with most of my food. I love the flavor it gives

Turkey breast lunch meat

Reduced fat cheese

I just got me some meat balls Im going to try.

Cant thk of the name of it but you layer fat free refried Beans, taco meat, Mix 1/4 fat free may, 1/2 c plain greek yogurt, 2 c of reduced fat cheese, 1 can green chillis--layer over taco meat & bake at 350 for about 20 minutes (until edges are golden)