Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What are you guys eating for protein?

I eat lots of eggs and meat. I have an egg and a piece of bacon every morning for Breakfast, assuming I can get it down. I have found that coffee, even with lots of milk, causes esophageal spasms and that means I can't eat. I read that hot and cold foods can cause esophageal spasms which leaves lukewarm food for us. But it takes me so long to eat anything that I'm getting used to cold food. Also powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury is good for Protein. I mix it with milk with my handy, dandy little hand blender that I got at Wal-Mart, and it's good. If I'm really having spasms, I drink Unjury. I have found that if I'm eating meat, it helps to have it really soft, so I bake stuff like chicken sealed tin foil and it goes down pretty well. Today we had chicken and dressing (dressed up Stovetop Stuffing), some cranberry jelly and green peas. I was able to eat all but the peas. Of course it took about a hour to eat the chicken and stuffing, and I gave a lot to the dogs but it worked. You might try eating really soft meat. I put a little Water in with chicken and pork chops and stuff and bake it a long time (1-1 1/2 hours) and it works pretty well. A crockpot is really good for this stuff.

A friend of mine had 7 ccs in a 10 cc band and was having lots of trouble. She wasn't losing any weight. So she had an unfill to 2 ccs and is feeling much better. I have 5 ccs in my 10 cc band and I have trouble getting stuff down. I think it's best not to overfill the band. We also concluded that you have to eat to lose weight. for the last two weeks, I have been sick as a dog with some sort of mutant ninja cold and couldn't eat much at all. I didn't lose a pound. So eating is good if you want to lose weight. eggs are a good source of Protein and you can scramble them so they are easy to get down. I don't worry at all about fats and stuff like that and I've lost 30 pounds since May. My students are telling me that I'm going to dry up and blow away, but I still have 30 pounds to go. I eat just about anything I want to including Cookies and cheesecake (I found this wonderful creme brulee cheesecake at Wal-Mart) and I'm still losing weight. I try to stick to protein though with a little cheesecake and it seems to work.

Good luck to you.

I haven't been banded yet. Scheduled for 10/9 however, I have been in with the units nutritionist she suggests along with eggs & meat (which is hard to swallow at times unless, as BOH mentioned, you put it in a crockpot) Lowfat/nonfat cheeses, cottage cheese and yogurt. If you're struggling with these things then the Protein shakes is a definate plus!

Good luck!

That depends where on this journey you are. If you are recently post op you cannot have solid Proteins so there is a huge dependence on Protein supplements. Volume and amount of Protein are the biggest consideration. If you are further out then you eat protein first then veggies. Protein being chicken, fish, beef, pork, eggs, tofu, whatever your choice is.

For me it has been and will be in my future easier for me with my morning time constraints to drink protein on my way out the door.

I eat lots of tuna lunch kits, chili, crabcakes, chicken, fish/tilapia/mahi mahi, cottage cheese, carnation instant Breakfast, Atkins shakes, boiled eggs (scrambled is a no-no) shredded or ground beef. To me, chicken is the easiest, with the most Protein.

Better to use hard Proteins as much as you can, so they'll actually stay in the pouch awhile and keep you from feeling hungry. Never hurts to supplement with the shakes, but the docs and Inamed recommend not relying on them and trying to stick with real hard Proteins.< /p>

I had my first scrambled egg since banded with a bit of cheese. It was sooo good. I guess some people can't do scrambled eggs. My dietician recommended them. I was very full after just 1/3 of a cup which is amazing to me. I was hungry before I ate. I have not been banded long, just 2 weeks.

I'm reading a lot about how important it is toi eat Protein after banding but I'm not sure which foods are best.

I agree with the masses, hard Protein is better and has the staying power. I am a very good cook, before banding I would cook 2 to 3 times a week, now I don't give a rats behind about cooking. So I do eggs, bacon, 98% fat free turkey (lunch meat), chicken, fish, and not too often, ground beef. These Proteins can be whipped up into a quick meal in no time. Good luck.

I eat a lot of steak too Jack, and love every minute of it! I eat chicken and pork a lot. I also eat turkey and roast beef from the deli. cheese is not my band's friend, so I stay away from it. And, I don't like Protein Shakes, so I don't drink them, lol.

My dietician said we need miniumum of 40 to 60 grams per day. (this is to keep muscle mass and help prevent hair loss) and helps with hunger of course