Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am in the process of having the lap band procedure done and I had a question. Once or twice a month I like to go out with my friends and have a beer or two. I know the beer has cabination in it so I was wondering if a fruit juice with a liquor would be okay to have (Malibu rum and pineapple, screwdriver)? I am aware that the liquor has high sugar in it, but if I do it in moderations will it be okay. Has anybody tried this?

Do they effect you sooner because your stomach is smaller? I dont want to drink a glass of wine or a margarita and then all of a sudden it hits me and I am drunk after 1 drink.

If people get drunk sooner after being banded I don't think it's because of the pouch. I think it's because once we start taking in fewer calories, EVERYTHING affects us more. I noticed that with caffeine, sugar, and even Tylenol. I just need less to get the same effect I got before.

Remember that our digestive processes have not been altered like those of RNY patients. We will not dump on sugar like they will, so the fact that something has a high sugar content is irrelevant except for the calorie count.

Donali, did you forget I still have an OPEN INCISION? STOP IT! One more good one like that might get that bird down my throat!

Donali,

Sorry to hear about your having to have the band removed due to erosion. You've done very well with your loss. Will you have it put in again later on or are you not sure yet? Do you have any idea what caused it to happen? Once again, I'm sorry it has happened and hope you are dealing with it okay.

Best of Luck :D

Hey Lisa,

Have you spent the afternoon figuring out this restriction thingy:) Sounds like the chicken won at lunch... I haven't had a fill yet and will be challenged figuring it all out when I get one. You keep up the good work and keep healing. Teresa

Originally posted by donali

Fill the glass with chicken first.... :D

HAHAHAHAHA!!! Oh my god. My husband think there's a hyena in here with me. Good thing I wasn't drinking when I saw this, or I'd need a new keyboard.

Thanks, Topsy.

Since I am selfpay, I am not planning on being rebanded at this time - I kindof shot my wad on the first time around. :D

Plus, so far it seems as though once you've experienced erosion, the chances that you would erode a second time increase (even though Dr. Carmen said that was not true, other literature states that it is.)

As far as WHY? That is a question that does not have a definitive answer. Some patient behaviours are thought to increase the likelihood of erosion, like consuming stomach irritants, vomiting, and overeating. Also, if there was a surgical injury to the stomach at the time of banding that could increase the chances of erosion.

However, after doing a small search on erosion of implantable devices in general, it appears that regardless of the type of implant, erosion of the surrounding tissue is always a possible complication.

The lapband is reported as having erosion as a possible complication in 1%-3% of cases.

We need to start an Annual Awards Ceremony for the best posts. I nominate Donali's "fill the glass with chicken."

Teresa, the weirdest thing about the chicken is that I stopped craving it last week. The second I was able to eat after post-op, all I wanted was chicken. If I didn't have one of those pre-cooked grocery store chickens in the fridge, I was just a bitch.

Then I got my fill and haven't had chicken yet because you have to liquid fast a few days after your fill. Oddly, I haven't been craving chicken! But a co-worker brought one of those whole chickens for lunch and gave it to me cuz (in whiny skinny chick voice) she only likes "white meat." So today was my first chicken episode, and it didn't go down so well.

When they say little bites, they ain't joking. Cuz I took little bites and thought I chewed, but the lump was instant. BOOM, you feel like you'll choke. So naturally I tried swallowing more chicken to get it down. I'm able to drink Water now, but I still feel a tiny lump somewhere.

I still don't understand what my pouch has to do with my throat, but I'm sure Donali will fill me in soon.. HINT HINT.

Hey Lisa,

I have had that golf ball feeling too. The first time was a few days after surgery on V8. I really just couldn't believe that was a sensation that we were supposed to want to achieve. I get what Donali says though about getting to a point prior to the golf ball feeling and that being comfortable and the optimal stage. Thank you for your personal description of the experience, I want to really know what to be cautious about when I finally do get a fill. I love those pre-baked chickens from the store. I started making really smooth chicken pate' when I first could have soft smooth food and have "craved" chicken almost ever since. Funny... Must just be something about missing Protein. Kind of get bored with it every so often. We'll get one and eat what we want of it the first day and then I debone and deskin it and use it in other recipes for days. Is your wounds leaking slowing down any? Teresa

P.S. You should give me a call sometime. It would be fun to chat. T

When I woke up I changed my bandage and it was somewhat saturated. I put a fresh bandage on this morning and haven't checked it, although I don't see anything seeped through, so I think the leak has slowed. I'm trying to ignore it (reverse psychology.)

We will talk one day, as soon as I catch up with life. My husband has been acting like a child lately and needing too much attention. It drives me nuts because he's a hockey, football freak. Then he has to watch the baseball and basketball playoffs and any other championship games. This means that he spends half the year ignoring me, hypnotized by the TV. So I get really independent. Then about this time of year when the sports slow down, he suddenly wants attention and won't stop talking to me! It's like a 5 year old tugging at my skirt, "mamma this" and "mamma that." So every time I pick up the phone to blab and gossip (cuz I'm a girl that loves the phone) he bugs me and calls me Hazel and wants to join in the conversation with his foul mouth comments (that offend me but he thinks are funny.) And that's why we haven't talked ... yet!