Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Disgusted By Others Eating

I am now 6.5 weeks out and find I am SO judgemental of what everyone else eats now. I get sick if I see glutinous people and feel ashamed for having looked like that. Funny thin is, I ate alone most of the time so no one would judge me that way and here I am.

I look at them and say thank God I'm sleeved and have changed my eating habits:). Soon I will be trim and fit!

I notice how much others eat and am often amazed but I also know that without my sleeve I would be right there with them! ;)

I admit that I am shocked at how much other people eat at times and I realize I would have eaten as much. I watch my husband sometimes go for 2nds and the 2nd portion is as big as his first portion and I can see he forces it in, and I finally told him, you need to take 1/2 the portion if you are going for seconds because you are, in all honesty, eating 4 portions because our normal portion size was usually double to triple to begin with. He started paying attention to it himself now and both him and my son have lost weight.

I am also learning to cook less food and that's helped.

Has anyone noticed that it seems ok for everyone to comment on how little we eat? It drives me crazy! It was tabu to say anything to me when I was 290 lbs but now that I weigh 138 lbs it seems like everyone wants to tell me I eat like a bird or I need to eat more or flat out make fun of me. So I think the discrimination goes both ways. Sorry but darn that felt good to vent! :wacko:

Yes. I am not proud to admit it but I do feel ill sometimes watching others eat. The sheer volume of food people consume astounds me. In restaurants the portion sizes others get seem ridiculous and to see someone consume it is almost unbeleiveable. Of course I know somewhere in the recesses of my brain that I used to eat like that (and then some) but it doesn't stop me feeling that disgust. I often have to look away. I try not to say anything and try to keep a poker face as I don't want to offend others but have to admit with my husband I am less circumspect! I have said "OMG you are NOT going to EAT that are you?" and other similar expressions of horror and disgust at his food choices.

I have read a bit about cellular memory since the surgery and I am more and more convinced that the memory of food was mostly cellular for me and was mostly removed with the 85% of my stomach. I really can't recall being hungry, can't recall wanting to eat, and while on some level I know I used to feel excited at the prospect of a big meal I just can't recall what that felt like.

Maybe I am a freak. I don't see other sleevers talking this way!

It's weird how people who maybe had fingers pointing towards them in the past' date=' now do the pointing. It might be nice to TRY to be fair and understand what these people that overeat are going through. We've all "been there, done that" and at times we've had out of control eating and/or relentless unsatiable hunger. It's one thing to see them overeating and reflect back on yourself, not see yourself in a positive light in the past and glad you had a tool to help you not be like that any longer. But we've been there, we know how overaters feel and of all people..... we should understand and see things a little how they seem.

I'll see someone like that and want to tell them (without offending them or them thinking I'm calling them fat) that there are possible tools for them out there as well and tell them how happy I am with mine. But I've rarely done that due to not knowing how they would take it. I would like to help them somehow instead of putting them down or judging them.[/quote']

I agree with you a 100% don't forget where you came from . I suggest having some compassion for other. If it was so easy we ALL wouldn't be on this site or preparing to go under the knife, or have been on the table already. You know being over weight is emotional, sad and unhealthy. Let's be nice.

Sent from my iPhone using VST

I, as well as most of us here know exactly how it feels to be discrimiated against or to be treated less than human because of our weight. It is one of the most hurtful and humiliating things I have ever experienced and I'll be damned if I will EVER do it to anyone else, whether I'm skinny or not. We, as former,or soon to be former fatties, should be even MORE sensitive to those suffering from the same food addictions we suffer from instead of feeling superior to them and judging them for it. Once an addict, always an addict, no matter the "drug" of choice. We are fortunate (or soon will be) to have a great tool to keep us from indulging in our addiction to food. :)

At some point point in the process(like 4 weeks out) what bothers me is envy that I can not do that anymore with any food(still on soft food). But also think how you would have reacted in days gone by if someone asked you if you were going to eat that crap or that much.

:( I haven't had surgery yet, my skin crawls hearing some of these statements. Really hurtful to think people I am around during meals could be feeling all this animosity towards me while I consume food in larger than needed amounts :( Especially people who use to do the exact same thing... I would hope to have some empathy after my surgery for others in my current position. If you can relocate that inner fat person for a moment and imagine reading utter disgust on the faces of others looking at you (its obvious, we have all experienced the looks) and remember how you felt as that person, maybe this will help. <3

In all honesty, if I had been lucky enough to have a super metabolism and could eat anything I wanted, and gain nothing, I'd still be eating just like them. I LOVE the taste of food...and Dr. Pepper (had to throw that in there). It's funny how we look at those that are thin, and can put down a lot of food, and we just laugh it off. Why aren't we disgusted when we see THEM with 10 slices of pizza on their plate? I don't regret not being to able to eat large amounts anymore, I'm just resigned to the fact that I can't eat like that and not be sick. I ran with the best of them, though.

Has anyone noticed that it seems ok for everyone to comment on how little we eat? It drives me crazy! It was tabu to say anything to me when I was 290 lbs but now that I weigh 138 lbs it seems like everyone wants to tell me I eat like a bird or I need to eat more or flat out make fun of me. So I think the discrimination goes both ways. Sorry but darn that felt good to vent! :wacko:

My kids do it all the time!

Little sarcastic remarks. :) but they are boys and I know how they are :)

I look at what people eat now and notice the quanity as well. In all honesty, I am a little disgusted. I know that was me a few months ago... And I would never say anything to anyone about it... But the feelings are there. For the pre op people__I also swore I would never think these things either. I would read these types of posts and cringe. Oh my... How things have changed!

I am only almost 2 weeks out & when I was on liquids pre-op & every since I have just noticed the AMOUNT of food people eat. And I find that disgusting. Even my husband, who is very tall at 6 ft 4, and around 300 lbs eats entirely too much. I think he is mourning food since he knows once I can eat/cook "real" food our entire household is changing the way we eat. Not just me! He eats too much bread & sweets. Not much longer & that is changing. He hopes to lose weight along with me.

Robyn