Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Need Your Input Please!

Hello to All!

First let me introduce myself. I am a 37 years old female with a BMI of 42, no co-morbidity. I live in the UK. I've always been overweight. Even as an infant, being seriously sick and spending months in the hospital with asthma - I gained weight! My mom says I was the only one who gained weight out of all the babies:) I became a chubby kid, cute little round thing, but then I grew to be a fat adult, not so cute anymore. About a year ago my mom approached me with the idea of weight loss surgery. I refused it, I said I can do this alone, I did it before, and this time I will not regain. That was a year ago, I'm 7 pounds heavier today.

So I started to look into bariatric surgeries about 6 months ago. I fell in love with the gastric band, and thank God I did not go ahead with the process. The more I read about it the less I like it. So i have found the sleeve, and I'm reading here for the past few months, and I have decided to talk to my GP about it. My consultation is tomorrow, and I want to put a list together about the negative impacts my weight had on me and my everyday living. I know it's kind of last minute as I have my appointment tomorrow, but I would love to hear your input, what was the worst for you when you were overweight? How it held you back? Thanks in advance for every comment!

Stress on the joints and back

stress on the heart

couldn't walk 5 steps without getting out of breath

always tired and lethargic

I'm sure others will have more. those are the main ones I can think of right now.

Hard to tie shoes, put on socks

Cant wear most of the clothes in my closet

Muffin top over jeans

Feel smothery in my chest area all the time

People asking me when i'm due!

Trouble sleeping

Depression increase/social isolation

Sore back/sciatica

More time recovering from common flu

Trouble at work/school

We're a lot alike, same age and bmi before surgery, but with co-morbidities. For me, being diabetic and having high blood pressure were the biggest reasons. I also have hip,back, and knee pain. It would hurt to stand a long time, and walking tired me out so much. I'm not a sedentary person either, but the extra weight takes a toll. I think it's a good idea to pursue this BEFORE you get sick. Good Luck!

People asking me when i'm due!

Ahhh tell me about it, the other day I was trying to give money to a homeless on the street and he politely declined, he said he would not take money from a pregnant lady. I was about to scream:D

Great comments everybody, I'm working on my list and you all gave me a few good ideas what to put on it. Funny how we are pretty much all battling the same issues -or for those who had the surgery maybe it is already the past - yet it helps to read these comments and to collect my thoughts and realize: I have that too!!!

I have knee pain too. Especially my left knee, and i had to have a steroid shot because the pain was so unbearable. Now I feel better, but I know it is only a temporary solution, plus I really try to avoid steroid joint injections as they are very bad for your joints. Plus I have horrible rashes on my limbs due to the shot...

So tell me please, how is your knee pain now? Does it get better with weight loss? That is my only hope....

We're a lot alike, same age and bmi before surgery, but with co-morbidities. For me, being diabetic and having high blood pressure were the biggest reasons. I also have hip,back, and knee pain. It would hurt to stand a long time, and walking tired me out so much. I'm not a sedentary person either, but the extra weight takes a toll. I think it's a good idea to pursue this BEFORE you get sick. Good Luck!

I don’t think you should pad your issues with other peoples they will know from your medical records what you have brought up with your gp.

I am uk here too sleeved in may did all this they inspect your records and assign what is weight related so a cold no but back pain or joint pain yes if you didn’t knock it.

My surgeon actually approached me about it like 5 years ago when eh was doing my gall bladder op he was the only person willing to do the op because of my size so during the consultation about it he asked me if I wanted wls and to think about it and if I did then have my gp refer me to him to talk about it.

I didn’t at the time but inbetween them years a lot happened with health issues not all related to weight but the things like sleep apnoea and loosing mobility because I was bigger and it wasn’t making my body happy or mobile just all added up to get a letter sent off and the ball rolling.

Just go off your own issues and what you feel is because of or hindered due to your weight its better than way they treat YOU then and give YOU the best advice for you.

Hi Sassypants,

Oh I am not trying to pad my issues with other's, I was just curious. Obviously I can't put nothing on that list that is non existent, like diabetes because I do not have it. And anyways, this is just a list for my GP, so I don't have to sit there and try to collect my thoughts when I have my appointment tomorrow:)

So I will have to see tomorrow what my GP has to say, as I'm not sure about the PCT Surgery Funding criteria, tried to call them but could not reach them, and even though I am within the NICE guideline criteria I might won't be eligible for surgery. (the PCT info I have found on the web is 4 years old, according to that I'm eligible but it probably changed since then..?)

Congrats to your weightloss, and thanks for the advice!:)

I do not wish to put a damper on it but you may not meet your PCT requirements, where I live in the SW the BMI limit is 50 unless you have co-morbidities. I read about this limit (my bmi was 48) so did not even approach my GP. I ended going private in europe. Cathy

Hi Cathy

yes, to be honest I don't have high hopes, but worth a try. According to BOSPA - PCT funding criteria, in the city where I live I do qualify. Although this was in 2008, and I can not seem to find anything newer...

http://bospa.waxwing.co.uk/information.aspx?page=46

I do not wish to put a damper on it but you may not meet your PCT requirements, where I live in the SW the BMI limit is 50 unless you have co-morbidities. I read about this limit (my bmi was 48) so did not even approach my GP. I ended going private in europe. Cathy

I am ELATED I had the sleeve. I was 5'8" and 295 on day of surgery (4/26/12). It's now almost four months and I'm down 50lbs which is half my goal weight loss.

I, too, have heard many stories about people out eating their band. Why go through all this to fail? I am NOT saying this process is easy. It definitely is a challenge but I honestly would do it again. Wonderful experience.

So, don't be another patient who says "Gee! I wish I had done the sleeve the first time."

Best wishes....can't WAIT til you feel wonderful in your own body!!!!

Knee pain (diagnosed with arthritis)

High Cholestrol

Lymphedema (aided by extra weight)

Back pain

Walking up stairs feeling out of breath

Paying more for clothes due to buying XX

Spending moret time at the Dr's office due to weight related issues...more $$ which has led to more meds for this/that

I was 442 pounds my wife 160, my son is 9 years old the straw that broke the camels back was going to Cedar Point and Michigan Adventures and not being able to ride the coasters with my family. I have a whole lot of living that i want to do and 442 was slowing me way down. Had my surgery on 8/28 as of 9/11 i am 393. I am happy when you see the results like your belly shrinking face starting ro slim clothes fitting loose it will make your day.