Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Who loves you? Wal-Mart or the US government?

Prescription Drug prices are making retirement impossibly difficult for many senior citizens.

Prescription Drug prices are making raising a family impossibly difficult for many parents.

So who loves you? Wal-Mart and Target or your elected Unites States government?

Yesterday, first Wal-Mart and then Target announced that they would cut generic Prescription Drug prices to under $5 for a monthly supply. Is this love by Wal-Mart and Target? Before you answer, let me give you some information.

#1. It is not costing Wal-Mart and Target anything to do this.

#2. The US government could have done it with Medicare's Rx Drug program, but specifically made it illegal to do so.

Let me explain #1 first.

I have a Prescription Drug plan as part of my retirement package from x-employer. I get Prescription Drugs at about 75% or more below retail in 3 month supplies by mail-order. It costs my x-employer just about nothing to give this benefit. WHY? Because, they buy Prescription Drug doses by the million or billion. They negotiate with each pharmaceutical company for reduced prices and pass them onto us. So when I order a three month supply of Celebrex, I am getting it for about the cost my x-employer paid for it.

Now about #2.

When a Medicare recipient gets a drug through the Medicare Rx drug plan and he pays 60% of the retail cost, he is paying 2 and half times as much as I would for the same Rx and you (and me), the tax-payers are paying the other 40%. The federal government screwed both the Medicare recipients and the tax-payers by putting a clause into the Medicare Rx law that states that the government can not negotiate Rx prices with the pharmaceutical companies. Now the government wants to reduce the already paltry Medicare Rx benefits because they are costing the government too much money.

The reason Canada has inexpensive Rx drugs is the same reason that my Rx plan has low prices. Negotiate to purchase in quantity and resell at prices based on that low purchase price. It is also the same reason that Wal-Mart and Target are able to offer these low prices.

So I guess there are only two conclusions to be reached.

Either Wal-Mart and Target love you more than your government does

or

Wal-Mart and Target are smarter than your government.

My conclusion:

The government cares more about big business than about you.

If I have those particular two choices of who loves me, I think it's time to move to Canada.

Target loves me. Wal mart just wants me to buy junk when I am in there getting my meds.

I wonder what this is going to do to company prescription plans

I'm just glad Walmart is doing this. Oh, of course the pharmaceutical companies have the politicians in their pockets and cannot get rich enough. I'm just happy for a price break on my generic prozac !!

Target loves me. Wal mart just wants me to buy junk when I am in there getting my meds.

I wonder what this is going to do to company prescription plans

If you have a Rx plan, you are not eligible for these prices according to Wal-Mart. Wal-Mart estimated that the #1 beneficiary of this plan will be Wal-Mart employees who can not afford to buy Wal-Mart's medical insurance.

If you have a Rx plan, you are not eligible for these prices according to Wal-Mart. Wal-Mart estimated that the #1 beneficiary of this plan will be Wal-Mart employees who can not afford to buy Wal-Mart's medical insurance.

How would Walmart know wether or not you have a Rx plan? Unless you tell them of course? Just curious.

How would Walmart know wether or not you have a Rx plan? Unless you tell them of course? Just curious.
I would assume because you buy other prescriptions there or maybe the computers for all insurance companies are networked. Whenever I go into a Wal-Mart to fill a Rx, even if I have never been to that particular Wal-Mart, they know who I am.

Privacy died a few years ago and I bet you missed the funeral. :)

Prescription drug prices are cheaper up here in Canada. Surely prices could be cut south of the border where the population base is much higher.

Prescription drug prices are cheaper up here in Canada. Surely prices could be cut south of the border where the population base is much higher.
They could lower the prices, but the politicians put a clause into the Medicare Rx plan making it illegal to negotiate prices with the drug manufactures.

The VA can negotiate prices with the drug manufactures, but not Medicare.

Sounds like the politicians (in power) love the Pharmaceutical companies more than they love the Citizens of the USA.

I know the politicians love the Pharmaceutical companys' campaign contributions and lobbyists' gifts more than they love the Citizens of the USA.

There seems to be a marriage between the government and big biz. This is too bad for the middle class, isn't it?

The term "middle class" is fast becoming an anachronism. With each decade it seems that we are becoming more and more a country of "haves" and "have nots", with no middle ground. I hate that. I hate that an income once considered "comfortable" is now close to poverty level, leaving many families with no choice but to send mom out to help earn a living. The stay-at-home mom is rare these days and that's too bad.

Having a private drug plans that has copays for prescriptions wouldn't prevent someone from benefiting from this low pricing. If a drug costs less than the copay, the amount charged by the store is the actual amount of the drug. So if I have a $5 copay for generic (now called "tier 1) drugs but the retailer is only charging $4, I pay $4.

It doesn't matter that that the "main" beneficiary of this plan is going to be Wal-Mart employees; they are just a microcosm of many, many underinsured people in the country. If this goes widespread I think it will lower drug costs for everyone. Good move!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Prdgrdma

So I guess after gastric bypass surgery, I cant eat flock chips because they are fried???  They sell them on here so I thought I could have them. So high in protein and no carbs.  They don't bother me at all.  Help. 
      · 1 reply
      1. NickelChip

It's possible for a very high fat meal to cause dumping in some (30% or so) gastric bypass patients, although it's more likely to be triggered by high sugar, or by the high fat/high sugar combo (think ice cream, donuts). Dietitians will tell you to never do anything that isn't 100% healthy ever again. Realistically, you should aim for a good balance of protein, carbs, and fat each day. Should you eat fried foods every day? No. Is it possible they will make you sick? Maybe. Is it okay to eat some to see what happens and have them for a treat every now and again? Yes.

• NovelTee

I'm not at all hungry on this liquid pre-op diet, but I miss the sensation of chewing. It's been about two weeks––surgery is in two days––and I can't imagine how I'll feel a couple of weeks post-op. Tonight, I randomly stumbled upon a mukbang channel on YouTube, and it was strangely soothing... is it just me, or is this a thing? 
      · 1 reply
      1. NickelChip

I actually watched cooking shows during my pre-op, like Great British Baking Show. It was a little bizarre, but didn't make me hungry. I think it was also soothing in a way.

• Clueless_girl

How do you figure out what your ideal weight should be? I've had a figure in my head for years, but after 3 mths of recovery I'm already almost there. So maybe my goal should be lower?
      · 3 replies
      1. NickelChip

Well, there is actually a formula for "Ideal Body Weight" and you can use a calculator to figure it out for you. This one also does an adjusted weight for a person who starts out overweight or obese. https://www.mdcalc.com/calc/68/ideal-body-weight-adjusted-body-weight

I would use that as a starting point, and then just see how you feel as you lose. How you look and feel is more important than a number.

2. Clueless_girl

I did find different calculators but I couldn't find any that accounted for body frame. But you're right, it is just a number. It was just disheartening to see that although I lost 60% of my excess weight, it's still not in the "normal/healthy" range..

3. NickelChip

I think it's important to remember that the weight charts and BMI ranges were developed a very long time ago and only intended to be applied to people who have never been overweight or obese. Those numbers aren't for us. When you are larger, especially for a long time, your body develops extra bone to support the weight. Your organs get a little bigger to handle the extra mass. Your entire infrastructure increases so you can support and function with the extra weight. That doesn't all go away just because you burn off the excess fat. If you still had a pair of jeans from your skinniest point in life and then lost weight to get to the exact number on the scale you were when those jeans fit you, chances are they would be a little baggy now because you would actually be thinner than you were, even though the scale and the BMI chart disagree. When in doubt, listen to the jeans, not the scale!

• Aunty Mamo

Tomorrow marks two weeks since surgery day and while I'm feeling remarkably well and going about just about every normal activity, I did wind up with a surface abscess on on of my incision sights and was put on an antibiotic that made me so impacted that it took me more than two hours to eliminate yesterday and scared the hell out of me. Now there's Miralax in all my beverages that aren't Smooth Move tea. I cannot experience that again. I shouldn't have to take Ativan to go to the lady's. I really looking forward to my body getting with the program again. 
      I'm in day three of the "puree" stage of eating and despite the strange textures, all of the savory flavors seem decadent. 
      I timed this surgery so that I'd be recovering during my spring break. That was a good plan. Today is a state holiday and the final day of break. I feel really strong to return to school tomorrow. 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • BeanitoDiego

Now that I'm in maintenance mode, I'm getting a into a routine for my meals. Every day, I start out with 8-16 ounces of water, and then a proffee, which I have come to look forward to even the night before. My proffees are simply a black coffee with a protein powder added. There are three products that I cycle through: Premier Vanilla, Orgain Vanilla, and Dymatize Vanilla.
      For second breakfast on workdays, I will have a low-fat yogurt with two tablespoons of PBFit and two teaspoons of no sugar added dried cherries. I will have ingested 35-45 grams of protein at this point between the two breakfasts, with 250-285 calories, and about 20 carbs.
      For second breakfast on non-workdays, I will prepare two servings of plain, instant oatmeal with a tablespoon of an olive oil-based spread. This means I will have had 34 grams of protein, 365 calories, and 38 carbs. Non-workdays are when I am being very active with training sessions, so I allow myself more carbohydrate fuel.
      Snacks on any day are always mixed nuts, even when I am travelling. I will have 0.2 cups of a blend that I make myself. It consists of dry roasted peanuts, cashews, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, pistachios, and Brazil nuts. This is 5 grams of protein, 163 calories, and 7 carbs.
      Breakfast and snacks have been the easiest to nail down. Lunch and dinner have more variables, and I prepare enough for leftovers. I concentrate on protein first, and then add vegetables. Typically tempeh, tofu, or Field Roast products with roasted or sautéed vegetables. Today, I will be eating leftovers from last night. Two ounces of tempeh with four ounces of roasted vegetables that consist of red and yellow sweet peppers, sweet potatoes, small purple potatoes, zucchini, and carrots. I will add a tablespoon of olive oil-based spread, break up 3 walnuts to sprinkle of top, and garnish with two tablespoons of grated Parmesan cheese. This particular meal will be 19 grams of protein, 377 calories, and 28 grams of carbs. Bear in mind that I do eat more carbs when I am not working, and I focus on ingesting healthy carbs instead of breads/crackers/chips/crisps.
      It's a helluva journey and I'm thankful to be on it!

· 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches