Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is It My Imagination That The Mexico Sleevers Seem To Have Less Complications?

The only way I would do it is if I could stay 2 weeks..... Do the Mexico hotels that the surgeons use give discounts to those patients?

Yes, I went to dr. Ponce de leon and paid $5500. This included a night in the Lucerna hotel(and 2 in the hospital) I was offered an extra night if I wanted it. And if I chose to stay longer they would arrange for me to get their rate of $75/night. The Lucernas normal nightly rate is over $200.

Dr Aceves' office puts you up in a Lucerna hotel the day before surgery. I have to say that I receives OUTSTANDING customer service at that hotel. It was unbelievable. The Almater hospital was just as nice as the hotel (sans pool) And i was very comfortabl spending the next 3 nights there. Honestly, I cried saying goodbye to 2 of the nurses when I was discharged. I didn't want to leave and I appreciated their kindness so much! I literally spent my 1st day back hom missing the hospital and the staff! It sounds crazy but it's true.

The care I received was excellent and worth much more than the $8750 it cost me.

I might add, that I'm seriously considering having anymore serious surgies (i.e plastics or dental) in mexico. I'm totally sold.

I might add' date=' that I'm seriously considering having anymore serious surgies (i.e plastics or dental) in mexico. I'm totally sold.[/quote']

Me too. If I decide to do plastics later I will definitely return to Mexico.

I had mine on July 4, 2012 and I am doing great! No complications everything was wonderful- total cost $5500

I find this an interesting topic. I am an RN and work in a large hospital just north of downtown San Diego. In all my years as a RN (just over 40 years!) I could tell you more horror stories than any of you want to hear about the care in Mexico. Patients are frequently sent to the border to call for an ambulance so they will be taken to US hospitals because hospitals in Mexico cannot or will not take care of their serious illness and complications. That being said, I am surprised to hear about so many positive outcomes and obviously satisfied patients that receive vsg surgery in Mexico. Clearly, there are some very good surgeons working in many of the border towns of Baja and mainland Mexico. I am also very sympathetic to the unbelievable number of patients that want (and need) wls surgery and their insurance companies will not cover the expense. Clearly wls (and especially a sleeve) is preventative medicine at its best. How much money will they save when they are not longer reimbursing physicians for treatment of your hypertension, type II diabetes, joint pain etc. Okay, I will step off the soapbox on that topic. I just feel that for those of you contemplating surgery in Mexico - do your research! As you read multiple posts on these forums from people that have had surgery in MX, you see the same names over and over - Dr. Kelly, Dr. Aceves, Dr. Alvarez just to name a few. Consider a surgeon with a proven track record of success, even if he is more expensive. Make sure there is some type of pre and post op education. Who will take care of any post op complications that might arise and will there be an extra charge for management of any complications? If you have insurance, get home and have problems, will your insurance now cover the cost of treating those complications? Make sure you can set-up follow up care questions with a dietician. Perhaps this can be done by email with someone associated with your Mexico surgical team, but otherwise find someone near your home. For those of you that do not have insurance, make sure the cost is all inclusive in regards to any complications. Otherwise you might consider saving a little over the stated cost to cover any unexpected issues. Clearly the complication rate is low, but when it happens to you those statistics kinda fly out the window.

Best of luck to all. For those of you that have had successful surgery in Mexico, I am happy for you. Personally, I feel blessed I was not forced into this option. I know I am lucky.

I find this an interesting topic. I am an RN and work in a large hospital just north of downtown San Diego. In all my years as a RN (just over 40 years!) I could tell you more horror stories than any of you want to hear about the care in Mexico. Patients are frequently sent to the border to call for an ambulance so they will be taken to US hospitals because hospitals in Mexico cannot or will not take care of their serious illness and complications. That being said' date=' I am surprised to hear about so many positive outcomes and obviously satisfied patients that receive vsg surgery in Mexico. Clearly, there are some very good surgeons working in many of the border towns of Baja and mainland Mexico. I am also very sympathetic to the unbelievable number of patients that want (and need) wls surgery and their insurance companies will not cover the expense. Clearly wls (and especially a sleeve) is preventative medicine at its best. How much money will they save when they are not longer reimbursing physicians for treatment of your hypertension, type II diabetes, joint pain etc. Okay, I will step off the soapbox on that topic. I just feel that for those of you contemplating surgery in Mexico - do your research! As you read multiple posts on these forums from people that have had surgery in MX, you see the same names over and over - Dr. Kelly, Dr. Aceves, Dr. Alvarez just to name a few. Consider a surgeon with a proven track record of success, even if he is more expensive. Make sure there is some type of pre and post op education. Who will take care of any post op complications that might arise and will there be an extra charge for management of any complications? If you have insurance, get home and have problems, will your insurance now cover the cost of treating those complications? Make sure you can set-up follow up care questions with a dietician. Perhaps this can be done by email with someone associated with your Mexico surgical team, but otherwise find someone near your home. For those of you that do not have insurance, make sure the cost is all inclusive in regards to any complications. Otherwise you might consider saving a little over the stated cost to cover any unexpected issues. Clearly the complication rate is low, but when it happens to you those statistics kinda fly out the window.

Best of luck to all. For those of you that have had successful surgery in Mexico, I am happy for you. Personally, I feel blessed I was not forced into this option. I know I am lucky.[/quote']

Omany if us CHOOSE this option- and are not forced:)

I have never heard of anyone being taken back to the border and asked to call an ambulance.

I will be making the return trip back to TJ to have my plastics :)

Happy losing everyone <3

Doesn't matter where you have surgery or who you chose to have it with. Its up to your body to have complications or not. It's like a probability game! Before you go into surgery they already discuss the possibilities. Everyone is well aware of the possible complications. It's not because you had surgery in the US that you are going to have issues. And dealing with US insurance isn't a bad thing, if your complaining that the process takes to long to get approved, well you must not have the best health insurance plan. My insurance only took a week to go through. Basically my point is, here or there doesn't matter!!! Your still putting your life in someone else's hand & there aint no gurantee

Doesn't matter where you have surgery or who you chose to have it with. Its up to your body to have complications or not.

I respectfully disagree. Yes, it is possible for anyone anywhere to have complications, but most reputable surgeons in Mexico go the extra mile to reduce the probability of complications. For example, over sewing The staple line is a redundancy that is not common practice in most American practices. Multiple leak tests over multiple days is another. Patients of Mexican surgeons will likely not have the same follow p treatment nor easy access to their surgeon once they go home, so extra precautions are taken to ensure the possibility of complications arising are minimized. Also the the short term care that you receive in Mexico is far superior to that provided here in the United States.

Wow my surgery was done in the US charge was 53000.00. Primary insurance discounted 36000.00 final bill 14000. My primary and secondary insurance will pay it all thank God. I had a wonderful experience.

I had mine in louisville ky by dr. david geller. No complications no pain no nausea or vomiting. I can't say enough how wonderful he is. I had a hernia repair and would not have known unless he told me. I was sleeved on 4/4 down 62lbs about 25 more to go. My bff had hers done in mexico she also had no complications.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using VST

I respectfully disagree. Yes, it is possible for anyone anywhere to have complications, but most reputable surgeons in Mexico go the extra mile to reduce the probability of complications. For example, over sewing The staple line is a redundancy that is not common practice in most American practices. Multiple leak tests over multiple days is another. Patients of Mexican surgeons will likely not have the same follow p treatment nor easy access to their surgeon once they go home, so extra precautions are taken to ensure the possibility of complications arising are minimized. Also the the short term care that you receive in Mexico is far superior to that provided here in the United States.

I agree with this too. I think extra care and attention is given because of the fact that their followup is limited.

I also think the great treatment so many Americans are benefiting from in Mexico is the same treatment that wealthy Mexican citizens receive. In reality Mexico is basically a country of only two socioeconomic classes -- the very wealthy and the very poor. They don't have much of a middle class. Maybe I've got it wrong but I kind of look at it like "Boutique Surgeons" and "Boutique Hospitals/Clinics". Many surgeons and boutique clinics around the world have cashed in on the same business model. It's a win win win -- for American patient (or Canadian or British or whatever) who gets very personalized quality medicine, for the surgeon/staff-- they're making a killing!, and the country itself that benefits from the economics of medical tourists.

Obviously I don't read every post and I've only been here for a couple months but I haven't seen one negative about having surgery Mexico. All the posts I've read are glowing-- about the physicians' date=' the service, the care, the after care, the hotel......and again, I'm not reading every single post but the Mexico Sleevers seem to have less complications....or if they do they seem to be short-lived. Of course I know that the percentage of US Sleevers vs Mexico is much higher so I would naturally see more of everything from the US Sleevers but it just seems I haven't seen any negatives from the Mexico Sleevers...

I guess my overall impression that is that the experience seems to be just a little easier and just a little more pleasant.... I can tell you this, if I did not have insurance coverage for the Sleeve I think I would be very comfortable going to Mexico. My only concern would be, what if there are complication once you are home....

~Dana[/quote']

Dana

How was it that is the same doctor my sister and I will use

I had an amazing surgery, hospital stay, ect in the US. They took excellent care of me, and I rarely had a lot of pain, as soon as I would ding the nurses they were in there helping me. My hospital suite was cleaned 2 times a day, my sheets changed daily, my husbands sheets changed daily. I passed the cleaning people EVERYtime I walked, day or night. Everyone who visited even said what a beautiful hospital it was. :-)

Robyn

Dana

How was it that is the same doctor my sister and I will use

Hi, I'm using a surgeon here in the US (Dr. Lavin in New Orleans). I had just been reading posts for a few months and had not heard one negative comment from the Mexico Sleevers. And just from my limited time here it seemed like there were less complications (minor or major) from the Sleevers who went to Mexico. Of course, that doesn't mean that there really are less complications --- it could be just that they are many more people here who used US surgeons. But based on the experiences here I would not hesitate to go to Mexico if it was my only option.