Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is It My Imagination That The Mexico Sleevers Seem To Have Less Complications?

Same here I'm in Boston Boston medical center Dr Hess. I was so worried about how fast I would be back to normal and I've been great since I've been.home from the hospital. Walking cleaning shopping drinking slow but fine getting on more than 60oz of just Water. Everything else is Protein. Dr Hess was so sweat he called my husband and had a long conversation after he finished that day. I can say he changed my life. I'm a week out.

I paid $8750 for everything including pre-op night in the Lucerna, a beautiful hotel. He also repaired my hernia, which I didn't even know I had. It would have been $23000 here, one night stay if I was lucky (at least one doc does it as outpatient) and they have at most 1/3 of a local surgeon's experience.

How many people that post on here have had their surgery in the US vs MX?

Sent from my mobile productivity killer.

May I ask how much you guys paid?

I had a different Dr- Almanza- but I paid 4500- and 800 for an optional gall bladder removal.

I had my surgery in Mexico on July 18th with Dr Garcia. He and his whole staff were wonderful. It was all inclusive and they took care of all the details from our landing in San Diego on. Never had to request pain meds, the nurses came on a regular schedule to issue meds. Not the case when I had my knee replacement in the states. My insurance did cover the surgery, but I didn't want the stress of going to all the appointments, etc over six months. When I figured paying all my deductibles for my insurance the price would be close to the $4500.00 that I paid.

I know there are some really good surgeons in Mexico, but my surgeon in San Diego says he fixes leaks all the time for people who had surgery in Mexico. I don't think you see the whole picture on this forum. But again, I do know there are great surgeons in Mexico, as long as you do your research!

I went to Tijuanna, MX in March for my sleeve with Dr. Jose Rodriguez. It was wonderful, so much better than the horrifying care I have gotten in US hospitals. (I have had 20 surgeries in my lifetime, every one a terrible experience, except the sleeve in MX). My story is much like everyone elses. My Doc was awesome, his staff was courteous and skilled, the hospital was clean and beautiful, I stayed 3 days.... I'm going back to MX for a Tummy Tuck when I hit goal.

Dr. Alvarez was $8700 everything included minus the flight. My sleeve buddy had her hernia repaired during surgery, and I know someone else who needed ther gall bladder out and he did it all at the same time. The idea of going to Mexico scared me to death at first, but one of my best friends (screen ID CLK) did it 2 years ago, and well look at her before and afters and her statements about quality of life, and that about sums it up.

My only regret was not doing this sooner. I was quoted stateside nothing less thatn $30k. I saved and got a partial loan to pay for the $8700 with Dr. Alvarez. Worth every cent.

As for the diet, it's not so much how different is it from other docs (they all vary from doc to doc) it's that doctor Alvarez has had so many patients he's got data to support his decisions. He finds the highest risk for a leak or tare is the first 10 to 14 days post op, so he is very strict about being on a liquid diet for 2 full weeks. No physical activity for at least 15 days to keep infection to a minimum including no baths or lotions, and after two weeks there is a transition to soft foods. He explains that the fast majority of patents who are ok the first few days then after a week or so get sick are because they started eating solid foods to quickly. I seen some amerian docs let people transition after one week, Dr. Alvarez said absolutely not, the stomach needs at least 2 to 3 weeks of liquids and soft foods to heal and get swelling down. And when you got thousands of patients to collect data from, he definitly knows what he's talking about.

If you have not seen or read Dr. Alvarez's book from Endobariatric PLEASE READ IT!!! I read after surgery, and I really wish I had read it before. It is so straight forward and breaks down EVERYTHING. I think it should be a standard for ALL VSG PATIENTS!!!

I had surgery aug 28th with dr almanza and had a wonderful experience i paid 4500.00 and no c omplications...

I was thinking the same exact thing. I had a few issues and I don't know if Mexico would of been able to handle them. Did any Mexico sleevers have a hernia fixed too? I had to pay self pay for my surgery in Ohio which was 23000 dollars and that included insurance for 6 months for any complications requiring hospital stays. Which I stayed 4 days longer.

Dr Aceves fixed my hernia. No complaints or complications.

I don't want to jinx myself (I'm two weeks out tomorrow) but it's amazing. I had Dr. Joya in Puerto Vallarta and I can't say enough. Having had a lap band placed AND removed here in the states, I'm absolutely in shock at the lack of actual pain I'm feeling. When I had my previous surgeries my abdominal muscles hurt for nearly a month and a half- and right now, I have ZERO PAIN or discomfort. I feel like I did pre-surgery! I don't know if there's a different technique used in Mexico or what, but yeah.. amazing!

I don't want to jinx myself (I'm two weeks out tomorrow) but it's amazing. I had Dr. Joya in Puerto Vallarta and I can't say enough. Having had a lap band placed AND removed here in the states, I'm absolutely in shock at the lack of actual pain I'm feeling. When I had my previous surgeries my abdominal muscles hurt for nearly a month and a half- and right now, I have ZERO PAIN or discomfort. I feel like I did pre-surgery! I don't know if there's a different technique used in Mexico or what, but yeah.. amazing!

That is one of the things I noticed about the Mexico Sleevers posts -- they just did not seem to have the same type of discomfort after surgery. They also did not seem to have as much nausea. I don't know -- it's kind of crazy. I have insurance coverage but if money were not an issue for me and I really believe I would have the surgery in Mexico. Although getting on a plane a few days after surgery does not sound very appealing. I've also seen a lot of posts about horrible US hospital staff treatment and care. Most everybody loves their US surgeons -- but again, I'm talking about the overall experience.....and it sure does seem like Mexico wins that criteria. I would definitely consider using a Mexico physician for plastic surgery if I can get to that point. But the plastic surgery seems to have quite a bit more medical needs after surgery -- drains, dressing changes,recovery time in order travel....The only way I would do it is if I could stay 2 weeks..... Do the Mexico hotels that the surgeons use give discounts to those patients?

Most doctors/surgeons have surgery built into a "package" (at least mine did). I had two days pre-op at a resort, two nights at the hospital, then two more days at the resort. I know a couple other surgeons I was considering at similar arrangements. The hospital I stayed at was actually MUCH nicer than the resort (and it was a nice resort). Treatment by the staff was better than at American hospitals, IMHO. If/when I need plastics done, I know exactly where I'm going!

I was sleeved in MX by Dr. Alvarez and it was a wonderful experience. I woke up in NO pain, had to ask if they had operated on me. I never had nausea or vomited. Had no drain or catheter. I would recommend him to anyone. I paid 8,700.00 and it would have cost at least double that in my area. I am 6 weeks out today and feel great. I love Dr A and his staff and I very blessed to have been sleeved by this team. There is nothing to fear about going to Piedras Negras, it is a quiet little city.