Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When does it go away???

I have never been told I had bad breath (well, no more than the normal person..LOL). But since surgery 10 days ago, my husband says he can smell it when I enter the room! When does this go away??

(Listerine breath strips have become a staple of mine lately!)

Probably a side effect of entering ketosis, you are now burning up the "dirty" fat that your body has so carefully squirreled away for years. It can also make your BO worse too.

Besides the strips try a tongue scraper and liquid mouthwash a few times a day. It will stop in a few months after you start adding calories and have lost some weight. It varies with everyone so there is no firm timetable.

it happens when you eat low carbs.

i agree with Rootman.. a tongue scraper can help a lot. :) also be sure to floss religiously. :)

you could try sucking on some sugar free peppermints throughout the day.. getting some peppermint essential oil & putting a couple drops in some Water & swishing it around in your mouth.. you can also buy 3% food grade peroxide & spray it in your mouth (they have it in a spray bottle at 3% in whole foods or other natural health stores & also on amazon).. anyway.. the peroxide acts like bleach & kills the bacteria & stuff in your mouth.. you can spray it 2 or 3 times in your mouth & brush your teeth.. you don't want to go higher than 3% because it oxidizes everything.. you also don't want to use regular 99 cent peroxide because it has heavy metals in it.. but diluted down to 3% & food grade, it's actually pretty good for you & will also help keep your pearly whites, pearly and white. :)

you may also try oil pulling.. get some sunflower, coconut or sesame oil-- around 1 tablespoon.. and swish it around in your mouth for 20 minutes in the morning when you wake up. it pulls the toxins out of your mouth & also helps your teeth & getting particles of food out of all the gaps in your teeth & stuff. it feels gross, but after a couple weeks of it, you'll be like "wow!" if you try it, be sure to spit it out in the toilet.. because it's filled with toxic stuff & germs & bacteria.. don't want that growing on your sink. lol :) then use the tongue scraper & the peroxide spray & brush your teeth.. then follow with the peppermint mouth wash. :)

i don't use toothpaste, usually.. i use dr bronner's magic soap (also available at whole foods or health food stores & amazon). it's pure castile soap. peppermint is good to brush teeth with.. and if you use it all over your body, you feel cool & tingly, and it also helps neutralize body odor.

here's a video of how to REALLY clean your mouth (naturally)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9vuGFUEX5g

Try "Smart Mouth" - It works really well! It's a two-part mouthwash that you mix together in a paper cup or glass right before you use it (5 squirts from each bottle, 2 bottles come with kit). Lasts for 12 hours, too.

Some of you may not know it...but I did also have breathe for 3 weeks post op.... I talked to my doctor about it, and he said that it's a side effect of having a wound in ur stomach....when ur sleeve has healed, the bad breathe will go away......

Thanks everyone. I went out and got the tongue scraper. I'll start there!